Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How warm should the front panel of the Kronos get?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivePsy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: How warm should the front panel of the Kronos get? Reply with quote

I replaced the fan which reduced the noise a little, and I am letting it run fast because I am concerned about overheating. But I can feel the panel around the bank select buttons feels warm over a few hours.

Is this normal? I really don't like either the fan noise or the heat.

B
dadabujontomasteel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=65348&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45&sid=ac233e162ed8d79305cf5dae5e9fdb0e

Thanks,
David

David
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was asking about the heat generated by the internal components radiating to the area around the bank selection buttons - not how to replace the fans. Wrong redirect there dadabujontomasteel
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is not right if you feel the panel is warm. I have replaced the fan with the NoiseBlocker model described in the thread about fan replacement, and my Kronos is never warm anywhere, even after being switched on for days sometimes.

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: How warm should the front panel of the Kronos get? Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:
I replaced the fan which reduced the noise a little, and I am letting it run fast because I am concerned about overheating. But I can feel the panel around the bank select buttons feels warm over a few hours.

B

how do you get the fan to ' run fast ' ?

so, since you replaced the original fan, you are noticing that specific chassis area is getting warm.
shaneblyth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never noticed any sort of heat on my X73 Ill have to check it out so I can get paranoid. Rolling Eyes
Macbook Air 13"
Mainstage 3
LivePsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: How warm should the front panel of the Kronos get? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
LivePsy wrote:

B

how do you get the fan to ' run fast ' ?

so, since you replaced the original fan, you are noticing that specific chassis area is getting warm.

I'm using a Noctua fan as mentioned in the fan noise thread and you can select different speeds with some cables. I chose the fastest cable (no resister I guess). I really don't know if the top got warm before I changed the fan. So thanks Francois for your comment that yours never gets warm.

B
shaneblyth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the cpu is getting hot it usually is beacuse there is not a good contact between the heatsink/fan and the cpu. Thermal paste needs to be used and it has to be done right. Its not hard to do but it could be a possibility.
Macbook Air 13"
Mainstage 3
LivePsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be. I'll open it up over the weekend, maybe even put the original fan back in for a sanity check.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you've checked that the replacement fan is working as it should?

Kronoscopie, tout sur le Kronos en français

http://www.kronoscopie.fr
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area on the front panel around the bank select buttons is directly over the power supply, which probably generates more heat than any other internal component. On all three of my KRONOSes, that area does get a little warmer than the rest of the panel after a while (I have a small Roland MIDI controller over that area on an L-shaped stand, about 1-1/2 inches above the panel, but it's vented and there's plenty of airflow). I don't have any temperature measurements, but it's only VERY slightly warmer than other areas of the panel, only noticeable it by comparing it to other areas. If your new fan is moving any air at all, there's not a problem - in the fan thread mentioned above, somebody ran the KRONOS without a fan for a week or so, and the internal temperature never exceed typical commercial component specifications.

I'm surprised that you say the new fan is only "a little" quieter, though; I found that both the Silenx and NoiseBlocker fans were much quieter than the stock fan. Are you using a Noctua fan without the LNA (Low Noise Adapter) so that it is running at full speed? I think that most people using the Noctua install the LNA, and it moves enough air; don't use the ULNA (Ultra Low Noise Adapter), though - not enough airflow.

df
LivePsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francois wrote:
I take it you've checked that the replacement fan is working as it should?

Its certainly turning, very quiet when first turned on then it speeds up halfway through the startup process. Exactly the same as the original fan.

I have my Kronos on for an hour now and the bank button area is warm, I should point out it is summer here in Australia and 22 degress in the room.

B
LivePsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
The area on the front panel around the bank select buttons is directly over the power supply, which probably generates more heat than any other internal component. On all three of my KRONOSes, that area does get a little warmer than the rest of the panel after a while (I have a small Roland MIDI controller over that area on an L-shaped stand, about 1-1/2 inches above the panel, but it's vented and there's plenty of airflow). I don't have any temperature measurements, but it's only VERY slightly warmer than other areas of the panel, only noticeable it by comparing it to other areas. If your new fan is moving any air at all, there's not a problem - in the fan thread mentioned above, somebody ran the KRONOS without a fan for a week or so, and the internal temperature never exceed typical commercial component specifications.

I'm surprised that you say the new fan is only "a little" quieter, though; I found that both the Silenx and NoiseBlocker fans were much quieter than the stock fan. Are you using a Noctua fan without the LNA (Low Noise Adapter) so that it is running at full speed? I think that most people using the Noctua install the LNA, and it moves enough air; don't use the ULNA (Ultra Low Noise Adapter), though - not enough airflow.

df

The Noctua fan was much quieter than the original when mounted with the bottom off. Comparing both fans with the bottom off that is.

But when I screwed the bottom on, the Noctua is now louder than it was and nearly as noisy as the original. Yes it is running full speed. I am going to install the LNA. To be honest I love the synths, but the noise puts me off using it.

B
phil55

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Noctua fan with a LNA resitor installed. It's not silent but quieter than my hard drive recorder, which is fine and much better for me. I first ran the board without LNA, but thought the noise level didn't really decrease, just changed the sound of it from a whirr to a whoosh. LNA is the way. I don't experience the heat issues you mentioned.

I am also very paranoid about 'future issues', so I've decided never to gig with it (unless I really really really have to) using a back up system for live.

The heat may be caused by anything it would seem in Kronos. It could be wires rubbing, faulty connection, unprotected heat shield on power supply or even the fan not working. It's hard to say. If your confident about opening it up, just check for the above mentioned issues - it might be simple and try the fan with LNA. It's just a plug in plug out situation.

best of luck!

EDIT: For the record, I don't notice any extra ordinary heat coming from my Kronos, In fact, it's difficult for me to tell if one part is warmer than the other...

Last edited by phil55 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy did you bolt the noctura in or use the silicon standoffs? It seems to my that the solid connection of the fan to the mounting transmits a lot of noise. I tried both stock and no tufa and out of the Kronos both where similarly as loud. I reinstalled with stand offs and it was much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: