Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to: Volca cv sync to MS20mini

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadRonny88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: How to: Volca cv sync to MS20mini Reply with quote

How do I sync up my volca beats to my ms-20 mini?

I have tried plugging volca out into signal in on the ms20.. But nothing happens. Is anything going to happen? I'm a newbie at all of this. Is there anyway my volca will be able to control my ms20? If not what do I need to make this happen?

Thanks
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess. A midi out mod for the volca. An easy mod too. Dunno about sync as such. It would drive the ms20m but the results are unsatisfying. Better to do it with one of the other two volcas. Have you tried using the sync out of the volca to ms20m clock in ? I havn't but it's just a thought. Probably get some weird result at least. Or maybe volca to esp.

Last edited by DrHoo on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
peteone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you trying to do that is the question?
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's dozens of ways to make them interact with each other. Here's a few examples:

Volca Sync Out > MS-20 Sample & Hold Clock

Volca Sync Out > MS-20 Trig In

Volca Audio Out > MS-20 ESP In, ESP Trig Out > Trig In

Volca Audio Out > MS-20 ESP In, ESP CV Out > Pretty much anything
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
RadRonny88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically I want it to do the same thing has if I were running midi out on a drum machine to midi in on the ms20m. So the ms20m is playing the patterns produced by the volca. Is this possible? Or should I just do the midi out mod?
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To control the ms20m with a volca beats in the way you are trying, the midi out mod is the only way but as i stated in my previous post the results are unsatisfying.You would get far better results by modding one of the other volcas because they can sequence notation via their keyboard.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the third method I posted above, you can get the Volca Beats to at least trigger a single note on the MS-20. Basically you just adjust the Signal Level and Threshold knobs so that the TRIG OUT light begins to blink to match the beat. From there, whatever key you press on the MS-20 will be the note that is triggered. It works best using any of the drum sounds that have the least amount of decay. You can even route the audio of the Volca through the MS-20 by connecting the ESP Signal Out to EXT Signal In (the one at the top).
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
peteone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with volca sync out to ms20 -->> this will only let you control tempo (yawn)

but using a mini jack splitter from volca audio OUT into ESP IN on ms220 + from ESP OUTS to whatever you think might be interesting gives you quite an interesting possibilities -

ms20mini will follow your volca step sequencer...

using that second audio jack out (from the splitter on volca) and audio output from your ms20you gives you 2 audio channels

the only limit will be if you use more than one pattern playing at the same time it will follow all the notes... so use 1 pattern for example kick..

im sure i just confused 100 people hahah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: