Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting started - keyboards and piano
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Getting started - keyboards and piano Reply with quote

I purchased my Kronos keyboard a little more than a year ago, and have not really gotten started on my path to learning to play the instrument proper. When I say this, I don't mean the keyboard itself - I mean music. Yeah, I am a newbie. I had been trucking along pretty good with GarageBand's internal lessons, but I feel like it is more remembering what it expects you to press when (like a rhythm game, less like actual music) so I am interested if anyone has some good places to start in my quest to learn music and keyboard.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest taking lessons from a local keyboard instructor. You'll learn how to read music as well as proper keyboard technique.

Sounds Good
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took lessons and they were largely useless for me as I play by ear. My ear completely overrides my eyes.

Instead, the best three things for me were to learn chords, scales and arpeggios (not using an arpeggiator!), while paying attention to correct fingering (allocating which finger to which note, in which order). These take practice, but will be worth dividends. They'll significantly add to your musical 'toolbox' and expand your creativity.

If you can play by ear, picking out the melody and breaking down the chords, and fill the rest in with scale improvisation, then learning to read music scores can become largely irrelevant... Unless you have to read someone else's song that you've never actually heard.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piano Lessons.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting started - keyboards and piano Reply with quote

Comrad_Durandal wrote:
...but I feel like it is more remembering what it expects you to press when (like a rhythm game, less like actual music)

That's all music actually is. Even Bach said basically the same thing: When asked about his incredible mastery at the organ he replied:

There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself

It's being able to do that when you want to that's the difficulty, and that's resolved with practice. Hours and hours and hours of practice.

..Joe
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking around at piano instruction and have found a few interesting (and annoying) things. One of the problems I seem to find is that they don't want to instruct adults, only children - don't know the reason for that - but I've encountered a few that simply won't take adults for instruction. Another big barrier that I have is that piano instructors only want to instruct you if you have an acoustic piano at your disposal for practice - not a keyboard (no matter how good it is).

You'd think that instructors would want the business, you know? Smile
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Comrad_Durandal"]I've been looking around at piano instruction and have found a few interesting (and annoying) things. One of the problems I seem to find is that they don't want to instruct adults, only children - don't know the reason for that - but I've encountered a few that simply won't take adults for instruction. Another big barrier that I have is that piano instructors only want to instruct you if you have an acoustic piano at your disposal for practice - not a keyboard (no matter how good it is).

You'd think that instructors would want the business, you know? Smile[/quote
]

Very strange that they are nitpicking and not jumping at the opportunity. I have never taken lessons, always have played by ear. I have studied some music theory especially lately and as stated above, learning your chords, scales to some degree and learning not to practice mechanically. There are a few sites that offer somewhat basic Lessons such as Piano man Steve Lungrin you can try.
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diego5150 wrote:
Very strange that they are nitpicking and not jumping at the opportunity. I have never taken lessons, always have played by ear. I have studied some music theory especially lately and as stated above, learning your chords, scales to some degree and learning not to practice mechanically. There are a few sites that offer somewhat basic Lessons such as Piano man Steve Lungrin you can try.

I have been trying to learn on my own - watching a video series on YouTube by a piano instructor who tries to teach music theory and piano playing, but the problem is that his style of instruction isn't really meshing well with my style of learning. I mean, this guy has been trying to put out a whole course of instruction and theory on YouTube (which I applaud) in the hopes to spark more creative type people out there.

In the local instructor hunt, I found out what a lot of people got little Johnny / Jenny this Christmas... music lessons. I couldn't find a single instructor with weekend openings available anywhere near where I live. The other place I wanted to go appears to have shut down as their e-mail server bounces e-mails, and they haven't updated their Facebook profile page since September.
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try advertising on craigslist for instructions wanted. There may be someone local who knows what they are doing and willing to teach.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around here it is the same, had one guitar lesson years ago and as soon as school started I was dropped. Kids in school and the soccer moms use lessons as a baby sitter for a short stint of shopping.
button

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by button on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not a music teacher but have reluctantly given lessons to a few people. I have also spoken to other teachers about students in general. The consensus regarding teaching adults seems to be that they are a pain in the ass.

Teachers usually want long term students for guaranteed income and adults are usually only in it for a few lessons. Adults have other commitments and often cancel lessons and finally just drop out altogether on their own. That’s not good if you’re teaching for a living. Many adults also have little patience and expect to become masters in a few short months. They are also very opinionated about how you are teaching as if they know better.

It’s a shame for those that truly want to invest the time to learn. Keep looking and you will find a good teacher that will work with you. There is a lot you can learn on your own from books and videos but it really is better having the interaction with an experienced teacher or mentor.

But before searching for a teacher consider how much time you want to invest and what level you want to learn. You can always call or email a music school for advice. You don't have to sign up with them but they can give you a lot of information for free.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skype has been cool I know a few people that teach over Skype and they don't care if you are in it for one or 100 lessons.

I can see the teachers point of view above. I had some of the same experiences teaching adults martial art. I have also had some success finding a teacher over the summer when kids leave with parents for holidays and such. Also I have found paying for lessons ahead of time a bonus to getting someone to teach me.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a piano and organ instructor for years, and can tell you that Bald Eagle has nailed it: it's about long-term revenue. The problem with adults is that life gets in the way and lessons are cancelled, moved, or stopped altogether, as the adult student is too busy, has other commitments, reallocates the money to something else, or any/all combinations of the above. And I won't even start on how adults think they know what they need to practice more than younger people do...

For someone trying to eke out a living, it can be very frustrating to a teacher with all the fits and starts that adult students offer. Ain't no one getting wealthy off teaching music privately: 40 grand a year is golden.

I play mainly violin now, and I have been with my teacher for (almost) 10 years. I am the only adult student he has had for longer than 8 months.

..Joe
Diego5150
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is best what you feel the right thing to do is, I have taken 4 piano lessons my entire life and that was when I was 34 years old. The women came to my house and expected me to be a complete novice. When I played her "right now" by Van Halen in 2 different keys she told me "no charge for this lesson" which was the first time she came to my house.

Don't get me wrong there is still many many things I would love to learn. But the most important thing is that you continue to play because you love it and do not force yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: