Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ms 20 mini without connection to PC/MAC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fstx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: ms 20 mini without connection to PC/MAC Reply with quote

Hey,
i got probably stupid question but i cant figure this out.
I would like to know how to play mini without connecting to mac and legacy software?
And if this is not possible, can you suggest me some other program for mac to play mini?
It sucks because i have got Korg legacy collection but cant find my product code.. there is nothing at the CD box.

thank you .)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different products...

The MS20 Mini is a standalone synthesizer that you can just plug headphones or whatever straight in to. Has nothing to do with a computer at all. It has USB but pretty much only for the keyboard notes and the controllers don't even send any MIDI messages.

The MS20ic on the other hand was a limited edition USB MIDI controller to go with the original Korg Legacy Collection software. It's not sold any more although you can buy the plugin online from Korg's product user website. We have a seperate section of the forum for that product down towards the bottom of the index page.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
fstx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, didnt know that, thank you..

now, when i look back of my ms20 i see there is Model: MS20iC

so is there any other way to play my synth than korg legacy collection?

thanks

Wink
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's a controller so you can use it to play any softsynth. But you won't necessarily get all the features or an intuitive mapping of controls.

You could buy the MS20 plugin/softsynth on its own from korguser.net

Btw if you're in the UK and decide to sell your MS20ic, I would be interested Wink
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
fstx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you say: But you won't necessarily get all the features

I dont really know what this should mean. Does it mean that some knobs wont do any? or if a attach cables it wont work? can you explain please?

Can you suggest me any free softwere synth for playing my ms20iC? (mac 10.6.8 )
because Iam not really into giving another 50 dollars for software (i allready got)

(I bought this synt from ebay with legacy collection. I didnt really know its gonna be without activation code.)

you are really helping me there, thank you x-trade

and right now iam not considerring selling, not even from UK Confused
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fstx wrote:
if you say: But you won't necessarily get all the features

I dont really know what this should mean. Does it mean that some knobs wont do any? or if a attach cables it wont work? can you explain please?

Yes, potentially all of the above. Every synth is different and has different set of features and different controls. (also most importantly, different sound character, some of which is determined by the above). So you may find that the knobs on the MS20ic map to different things on different synths. The envelope attack might control the LFO rate if you are using a different synth for example. Often you can re-map these controls, but it would be a bit of work. The MS20ic was designed to work with the Legacy MS20 after all. The patch panel particularly is rather specific so I don't see any other software synth responding appropriately to any connections you make on the patch panel. Rather, it is probably sending some cryptic code of 'source' => 'destination' with MIDI cc value numbers.

Quote:
Can you suggest me any free softwere synth for playing my ms20iC? (mac 10.6.8 )
because Iam not really into giving another 50 dollars for software (i allready got)

(I bought this synt from ebay with legacy collection. I didnt really know its gonna be without activation code.)

you are really helping me there, thank you x-trade

and right now iam not considerring selling, not even from UK Confused

I don't know many off the top of my head. A quick google search turned up numerous results though.
fstx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allright, now I understand it a litle more
finally found some old korg legacy working so problem solved,
once again
thank you a lot Wink

cya later
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: