Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feature request: programmable RPPR shutdown keys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LexCan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Feature request: programmable RPPR shutdown keys Reply with quote

My two cents: Would really appreciate being able to program RPPR shutdown keys. I use *only* an 88-key Kronos, covering 80's tunes with a bunch of "fly in" percussion and melodic patterns. Losing more than an octave to shutdown keys makes things real tight on some tunes.

I didn't think there was a point to requesting this, but after seeing the latest OS update (2.1), it's apparent that Korg continues to improve this already awesome keyboard, largely based on user feedback. Truly commendable.

Kronos has been my best music technology ownership experience in 40 years!
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Feature request: programmable RPPR shutdown keys Reply with quote

LexCan wrote:
My two cents: Would really appreciate being able to program RPPR shutdown keys. I use *only* an 88-key Kronos, covering 80's tunes with a bunch of "fly in" percussion and melodic patterns. Losing more than an octave to shutdown keys makes things real tight on some tunes.

I didn't think there was a point to requesting this, but after seeing the latest OS update (2.1), it's apparent that Korg continues to improve this already awesome keyboard, largely based on user feedback. Truly commendable.

Kronos has been my best music technology ownership experience in 40 years!

Not clear what you are hoping to do - can you explain what would be a good setup for you?
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Feature request: programmable RPPR shutdown keys Reply with quote

LexCan wrote:

+10000 on this one. Every Korg board is like this. What a waste of keys. You only need one.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been talked about here before, currently when RPPR is enabled, all keys C2 (two octaves below middle C) and below are used to shut off RPPR, and can't be used for anything else...C2 is the lowest key on a K61, so I kind of see why Korg did this, but using RPPR makes the keys below C2 on the K73 and K88 keyboards unusable (bad for playing piano, bass, splits, etc.)...it would be better to have only the lowest key on all models (E1 on the 73, and A0 on the 88) turn off RPPR, or as LexCan says, have the RPPR shutdown key (or key range) user programmable...

df
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
As has been talked about here before, currently when RPPR is enabled, all keys C2 (two octaves below middle C) and below are used to shut off RPPR, and can't be used for anything else...C2 is the lowest key on a K61, so I kind of see why Korg did this, but using RPPR makes the keys below C2 on the K73 and K88 keyboards unusable (bad for playing piano, bass, splits, etc.)...it would be better to have only the lowest key on all models (E1 on the 73, and A0 on the 8Cool turn off RPPR, or as LexCan says, have the RPPR shutdown key (or key range) user programmable...

df

Thanks - I just wasn't clear what was being asked. Yes this has been talked about. Agree there could be a better way.
Umut Erhan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In OS v3 I hope Sad

www.umuterhan.com
www.uesound.com -> Kronos Combi Pack & Sequencer Pack
ksi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Feature request: programmable RPPR shutdown keys Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
LexCan wrote:

+10000 on this one. Every Korg board is like this. What a waste of keys. You only need one.

I fully agree.

And maybe this could be even extended so you could select a CC# instead of a note to shut down RPPR.

Also: In songs where you only make use of RPPR play modes Once or Manual, you don't need any shutdown key at all.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Feature request: programmable RPPR shutdown keys Reply with quote

ksi wrote:
Bald Eagle wrote:
LexCan wrote:

I fully agree.

And maybe this could be even extended so you could select a CC# instead of a note to shut down RPPR.

Also: In songs where you only make use of RPPR play modes Once or Manual, you don't need any shutdown key at all.

I also agree and I square Bald Eagle's +10,000 to +100,000,000. I think about this shutdown functionality a lot. A programmable shut down key or CC#/AMS could be relatively straightforward to implement. Since the synth knows (I'm fairly certain) whether it has 61, 73 or 88 keys, it should be possible to let the player select an appropriate shutdown key based on the number of keys on your board, and if necessary not let you select a key outside the playable range. Barring that, a CC# as KSI suggested or even a selection of AMS's would do (SW1, SW2, knob, slider, footswitch, whatever). If Korg cannot implement this in the Kronos, perhaps they'll consider doing so in their next synth.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't even matter if the synth auto sets it correctly. The current key could just be the default setting which you can then change. The only issue you would ever get would be with user sound sets made on a larger synth than you have, but I think you could count the ones with RPPR with one hand. I can't even think of any. Even then, all you'd need to do is change out of sequence mode to stop everything, go back and change the mute key to something you can reach.
prgtrdr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: RPPR Shutdown disable Reply with quote

I've been looking at the MIDI implementation for the Krome, which has the same problem as the Kronos w/r/t RPPR shutdown keys. It looks like there is a "Status" variable that is part of the RPPR Parameter block that is set to 0 if the key sounds a note, 1 if it triggers a pattern, and 2 if it's a shutdown key. There is one of these variables for each key from C-1 to G9. So all we'd need is a way to set that parameter, either via MIDI or a screen menu.

Code:
+-----------+---------------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+
|      b0~~1| MODE                |   0:Once, 1:Manual, 2:Endless                         |  -----  |
| 4902------+---------------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+
|      b4~~5| STATUS              | 0:NOTE,1:PAT,2:SHUTDOWN                               |  -----  |
+-----------+---------------------+-------------------------------------------------------+---------+

I don't know of a way to do this, but maybe it will give someone else an idea...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: