Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Factory V2 change question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
This is explained in the documentation, btw:

https://www.korg.com/Services/Kronos_Sounds/docs/HowToUpdate_FACTORY_V2_E1.pdf

Thanks Dan, no clue how I've missed that.
I guess I scrolled down immediately to the "load single banks" procedure to see what banks were changed.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuma wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

Thanks Dan, no clue how I've missed that.
I guess I scrolled down immediately to the "load single banks" procedure to see what banks were changed.

No worries!
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
Well for instance SGX1 doesn't really sum to mono properly.

Perhaps what you mean is that you don't like the way some of the samples sound when summed to mono?

SanderXpander wrote:
But specifically I meant that while SGX1 has a natural left/right stereo spread across the keyboard (higher notes more to the right, if set to player's perspective), but some notes have an oddly incongruous stereo image where a high note is suddenly more to the left of the spectrum or a low note on the right side.

Which notes and velocities do you mean, on which Programs (and sample sets)? I'll check them out.

- Dan

Regarding the summing, I mean it sounds like there are phase issue. Volume and tone is lost when summed to mono. E.g. the difference between an EP1 preset and an SGX1 when summed to mono is remarkable - EP1 retains volume as well as tone. This is just what it sounds like to me, I haven't actually recorded both versions to check for phasing issues. If you say that you have and there are none I'll take your word for it. Something is up though.

I'll go check the stereo keys/samples I meant in a few hours.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Yuma wrote:
As a follow-up question:
Any clue why the updated factory sounds come in a package with a PRELOAD_V2.KSC file?
If the only changes are the CX3 factory sounds, then I wouldn't expect a KSC-file.
Based on the size of the file (253kB) it seems like a dummy file.

I don't see anything in there that explains why a new Preload.KSC is needed?
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
SanderXpander wrote:
Well for instance SGX1 doesn't really sum to mono properly.

Perhaps what you mean is that you don't like the way some of the samples sound when summed to mono?
Dan

Regarding the summing, I mean it sounds like there are phase issue. Volume and tone is lost when summed to mono. E.g. the difference between an EP1 preset and an SGX1 when summed to mono is remarkable - EP1 retains volume as well as tone. This is just what it sounds like to me, I haven't actually recorded both versions to check for phasing issues. If you say that you have and there are none I'll take your word for it.

That's not what I said! It's just that mono compatibility or lack thereof would be due to the specific samples, as opposed to a problem with the summing itself. I agree that it would be better to have samples which were better suited to mono use.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
Yuma wrote:
As a follow-up question:
Any clue why the updated factory sounds come in a package with a PRELOAD_V2.KSC file?
If the only changes are the CX3 factory sounds, then I wouldn't expect a KSC-file.
Based on the size of the file (253kB) it seems like a dummy file.

I don't see anything in there that explains why a new Preload.KSC is needed?

"Loading the sounds into internal memory
"Before loading, make sure to back up important data onto the internal disk or a USB storage device. When you load the PCG file into memory, previously stored data will be overwritten.
"These instructions focus on the new PCG file. Assuming that you still have the factory samples and KARMA GEs loaded, you can ignore the KSC and KGE files for now. (The KSC and KGE files contain the same data as the original factory versions, but have been renamed to match the PCG file; this makes it easier to re- load all of the factory data at once when desired.)"
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this new update, if you haven't changed any of the factory sounds - can you just change the auto-loading preferences to load the V2 file instead of the standard file? They appear to be the same size. Is there any harm in this, as I was careful not to over-write the old factory files, just removed them from the auto-load at startup preference panel in Global.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok sorry about the KSC thing, I went too quickly past that bit. Makes sense now.

As for the piano stereo=>mono, seems another misunderstanding. I would also like a dedicated mono piano (or mono mode) in SGX-1. One that is better than the Oasys mono piano Wink
I would actually just try using one side of the spectrum when needing to run mono, but I suspect that would give major issues with leslies and auto pan effects on other sounds. Maybe it's worth a try.

I just checked the spacing issues, I don't really have time to go through all of them, but for instance B two octaves up from middle C is more to the left of the spectrum. Or rather, more in the center while the notes around it are more to the side. There are a couple of other ones that are more subtle, basically stereo placement doesn't feel entirely linear along the keyboard. In general I feel the spectrum is a little slanted to the right side, it seems to be already on the right hand side of things an octave below middle C. I don't know if it's intentional?
EDIT: talking about preset A000 btw. I'm assuming it would then be present in at least all German Grand programs.

By the way I am entirely splitting hairs of course. I won't stop using my Kronos if this never gets "fixed". Just something I noticed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: