Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polyphony

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ca27

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Polyphony Reply with quote

Less polypony on the Kross as what I've heard.

Would it be a big deal tho?
tommymandel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't bothered me.
Here's a video of an in-store at Sam Ash, NYC yesterday. I didn't even plug it in, just batteries. I was going thru some nice amps though...
hope this link works:
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151581156846372" width="1280" height="720"
ca27

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommymandel wrote:
Hasn't bothered me.
Here's a video of an in-store at Sam Ash, NYC yesterday. I didn't even plug it in, just batteries. I was going thru some nice amps though...
hope this link works:
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10151581156846372" width="1280" height="720"

I'd love to see the video but can't. Facebook privacy stuff on your account lol.

Well would there some realistic times that the polyphony limit would be reached?

Absolutely love the Kross by the looks alone.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kross has 80 voices vs Krome's 120 voices. A double program with cross faded oscillators can use 4 voices. Put a few programs like that into a combi and you run out of oscillators quickly.

When I was playing in the store I didn't notice any dropped notes just using factory settings. So it all depends on your needs if the polyphony will be an issue or not. You just can't do quite as much as you can with a Krome or Kronos but you can't expect to for that price.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Bald Eagle. Plus you can put up to 16 Programs in a Combi, so, in theory, at least, there's always that possibility of running out. Or in a busy Sequence. I just haven't experienced it. Sorry about the fb video. No big loss though,LOL.
ca27

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. So it seems like you would likely run out if the machine gets real busy.
However during "normal" times, you're still away from threshold, right?

Maybe someone can post his/her experience of running out of oscillators lol. Or a demo perhaps.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends what you consider to be "normal times". Leads and basic pads are not really an issue. Complex sequences can be a problem.

You have to consider what you be using the board for and then you can better know how the polyphony limit will affect you personally.
ca27

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I would use it to arrange or compose a non complex songs. Perhaps a simple band.

On "Normal times" kind of meant creating a non complex song or like the usual songs we hear.
tommymandel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never do this, but the 'limited' polyphony could make someone really polish their arrangement, perfect it, so that the sequence has no parts that 'cover' other parts, you know: play on top of them - so that every note can be heard. I usually just go nuts layering all the coool sounds on top of each other. It ends up sounding good, but a little like a soup with everything thrown into it! But a top arranger will 'make every note count.'
Knowing we only have '80 voices' to play with (ok, with double sounds, less) could be a good thing for our arranging chops. Rolling Eyes
ca27

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommymandel wrote:
I can never do this, but the 'limited' polyphony could make someone really polish their arrangement, perfect it, so that the sequence has no parts that 'cover' other parts, you know: play on top of them - so that every note can be heard. I usually just go nuts layering all the coool sounds on top of each other. It ends up sounding good, but a little like a soup with everything thrown into it! But a top arranger will 'make every note count.'
Knowing we only have '80 voices' to play with (ok, with double sounds, less) could be a good thing for our arranging chops. Rolling Eyes

A really nice point right there. I did the same thing with my very first arrangement too. Instruments should play as one and make way for each other.
studio99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes less is more!

Pat
ca27

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Definitely would go for the Kross this time. I really like its physical features. Just portable as it can be.
ca27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally, I just got my Kross-61 today and its home. Definitely enjoying it. No nothing bad about the lesser polyphony that I can tell yet Smile

Thanks for all your comments Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: