Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aldan III, to be continued...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yatrix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Good news!
I've got two brave guys who going to test Aldan III. Pincho Paxton will give it a try under WinXP on Korg M50 and Cyph on Mac(under win emulation) with Korg KROME.

Meanwhile, I have small but important piece of information to be posted… while have not forgotten it.

Chapter II: How to prepare arrangement with PERFORMER in CombiArranger mode.

For example, you have your favorite Combination which you would like to expand to be real arrangement with Aldan III Performer.
This Combination have all settings set properly like certain timbers are in Play mode and some effect are On and Arpeggios and Drums are in proper states.
The Combination plays well and, for example, that should be Verse1 in the arrangement which you want to create with Aldan III Performer.

First of all you need to save current copy of PCG data from your synthesizer and open this pcg file in Aldan III.

Secondly, start preparing new arrangement in Aldan III in OFF-Line. I mean that computer and synthesizer should to be disconnected or, if connected, then you can just temporary switch OFF midi port [Out1] on the main page of Aldan III.

Now step-by-step:

Run PERFORMER
Add new Performance
Switch to CombiArranger mode
Give your new performance good Name
Click on [CMB] button and select patch (your Combination)
Select tab “Scene Parameters” for Scene 1 set all parameters exactly as they are in your Combination:
    - Have a look on screen of synthesizer and set in Aldan all buttons [Tn] in On(Play) or Off (Mute) exactly the same as it now in your Combination.
    - Then switch to effect pages in synthesizer and replicate in Aldan all effect states On/Off same as in your Combination.
    - Then switch to Arpeggio page in synthesizer and replicate in Aldan all arrpegio parameters both for A and B arpeggios (selected pattern, state of buttons Resolution, Octave, Sort, Kbd, Latch, KSync) as in your Combination.
    - Then switch to Drums page in synthesizer and replicate in Aldan all drum parameters (selected pattern, Trigger Mode, Sync Latch.) as in your Combination.

At this point your first Scene is already prepared.
But shall you repeat the same time-consuming job for all other scenes ?
No, just click on button [Copy Scene] and copy Scene 1 to Scenes 2-8.
All parameters will be copied for you. Only patch for scenes 2-8 will remain as “No Change”.

Now it is time to click on button [SAVE].
All scenes of your new Performance are exactly the same as your Combination and you are safe to connect synthesizer and Aldan III (or, if were connected, switch ON port [Out1]).

After establishing midi connection select your new Performance once again and it will automatically:
    switch your synthesizer to Combi Play mode
    select patch with your Combination
    and in half a second load scene parameters of new Performance to synthesizer.
As far as these settings remain the same, the Combination should play and sound as before.

Now you are free to experiment with changing Scenes and Scene Parameters as you like.
Also, you can Reorder Scenes .

Click on [SAVE] button when desired results are achieved.
Documentation included in setup.
Yatrix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After putting on paper explanations presented in “Chapter II: How to prepare arrangement with PERFORMER in CombiArranger mode” I have got insight that all these actions are still too time-consuming and the procedure can be automated .

And I have implemented magic button [Get Params] and small piece of logic under it.
Now it takes one minute to prepare for new Performance in arranger mode based on existing Combination.

Chapter III: Automated preparation for arrangement in CombiArranger mode.

Button [Get Params] allows quick automated preparation of new Performance based on existing Combination.
New procedures is very simple and it can be done both On-line (synthesizer midi connected with computer) or Off-line (disconnected).

1. Get current PCG file from synthesizer
2. Open file in Aldan III
3. Add new Performance on PERFORMER screen and switch to Combi Arranger mode
4. Select Combination
5. Click on button [Get Params]
6. Agree with defaults by clicking on [Apply] on window “Set Scene Parameters as in Combination”

And that is it. Aldan analyses dump of selected Combination and automatically sets all parameters needed for Scenes.
Let’s try new procedure with well-know combination “Dreaming without Sleeping”.

After clicking on [Get Params] you see screen “Set Scene Parameters as in Combination”.
Here you can select multiple target scenes. By default all scenes are selected, so Combination parameters will be set with the same values for all scenes after clicking on button [Apply].

Deal done.

As you can see, magic button [Get Params] defines all parameters same as in combination and even defines those timbers on which arpeggios A and B and Drum Channels were assigned (see timbers A04, B05, D06, A07,B08 and D10).
Now all scenes are prepared for further experiments and nothing stops your inspiration.

You can use [Get Params] button as many times as you like and in respect of single scene or several scenes .

And now … ANNOUNCEMENT !

Yatrix

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tech Note 1:
"System Error &H007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found."

In case you don't have any MS Office application installed on your Windows (any version), or you have just Starter Office then you may experience this kind of error.
That means that Aldan III have not found couple of DLL's that usually come with MS Office VBA.
Unfortunately, many years ago, for some reason, Microsoft has prohibited developers to register these DLLs with ordinary setup.
However at : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms968493.aspx there is file: SETUPPAD.exe which can that for us.
Please, download it and run, and Aldan III should work after that.

Tech Note 2:
Under Windows 7(x64) when using Aldan III's Print functions you can meet case that texts are not changing as expected.

That is due to Aldan III prints out in a simple txt file which is stored inside C:/Program Files(x86)/Aldan and W7(x64) system is too paranoid when something is changing in this folder.
To fix the issue do the following: right click on Aldan III's icon and set "Admin" priviledges on property window.
fede92

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatrix wrote:
Hi Folks, Today I would like to talk on another innovative feature of Aldan III.

PERFORMER (Patch selector mode)

The idea of PERFORMER in Patch selector mode is simple: Performance, which is something like one song, may consist of up to 8 scenes plus text of song (or any comments) and in addition of Accord Set . Each Scene has short name and trigger one Patch in your Korg M50 (or KROME).
The Patch could be Program or Combination. PERFORMER will switch your synthesizer to proper mode depending upon type of patch.
This concept is wider then provided by Set List of Kronos. I would say – this s closer to STS buttons (“Single Touch Selection”) of arranger keyboards.

Names of Scenes
You can leave names of Scenes as they are by default (Scene1, Scene2, etc.) or scenes could be named like, for example: ‘Intro Piano”, “Chorus Organ”, “Versus Pad” etc.

To set Scene
1. Click on certain Scene button,
2. Select Patch from listing by clicking on buttons [PRG] or [CMB]
3. Give Scene a name
Save the Performance when all required scenes are prepared.

How Scenes can be triggered:
• By clicking on Scene buttons
• By scrolling one-by-one with SpinButton
• By pressing F1-F8 key on computer keyboard
• By sending CC messages from midi controller (for example: from foot controller)
• By sending CC messages with CTS buttons (Chord Triger Switches) directly from Korg. You can use just first four scenes and trigger them with CTS buttons. Also, you can access another four scenes by sending CCs with CTS buttons in [External] mode after pressing this button on Korg M50.

How to trigger Scenes and Accords from foot controller
Well, midi controllers always have limited quantity of buttons, so, there will be some kind of “trade off”. For example, if your foot controller has 10 buttons you can set buttons 1-5 to trigger five accords and buttons 6-10 to trigger five scenes.

Preparing Performances “Off-Line”
It is not obligatory to have computer connected with synthesizer when preparing Performances (and Accord Set too).
Lie down on a sofa with your notebook or tablet PC, think on what you going to play tomorrow and prepare required settings for your performances.

Working without PCG file opened
If your PCG file was not opened you still can prepare Scenes by selecting index of required patch (like A000 etc.) and can trigger scenes with sending patches to synthesizer.

SpinButton
After clicking on such fields as Performance, Scene, Patch, Accord Set and Transpose the selected field highlighted with light green color and you can scroll it’s content (increment/decrement).

Patch Lists
After clicking on [PRG] and [CMB] you get list of programs or combinations.
When item on the list is selected it immediately selects the same patch on your synthesizer (if synthesizer connected).

Program patches
Both internal program patches (from banks A-E) and GM program patches can be selected. GM patches are not presented in PCG files but hard-coded in Aldan III.

“No Change” patch
The first position in the list of patches is “No Change”. You are not obligate to prepare all eight scenes. Select “No Change” to avoid erroneous selections for those scenes which are not in use.

Reordering
Both Performances and Scenes witnin performance can be reordered as desired.

ABC
This buttons helps to set colors and fonts of text field

Transpose
That is permanent transposition value which is saved with certain Performance and applied to the notes of accords of selected Accord Set.

PANIC
When this button pressed the drums and arpeggio patterns and any midi activity of Korg M50 (or Korg KROME ) will be stopped.
In contradiction with it’s naming this function works very mild. Sounds and effects are fading out in a natural way.

Mmm... interesting

So that would be like a set list mode, just like the Kronos... it's a shame that you can save up to 8 scenes only Sad
Yatrix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did I implement only 8 scenes? From software side there are no limitations, just quantity of buttons on your midi controller and space on screen of tablet. If remember properly, initially I was planning to trigger scenes by Chord Switch Buttons only (4 buttons, two modes).

However, if you have spare Kronos (88 keys will be happy choice) I can program for you so that Krome's patches will be assigned to each key on Kronos Smile
fede92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatrix wrote:
Why did I implement only 8 scenes? From software side there are no limitations, just quantity of buttons on your midi controller and space on screen of tablet. If remember properly, initially I was planning to trigger scenes by Chord Switch Buttons only (4 buttons, two modes).

However, if you have spare Kronos (88 keys will be happy choice) I can program for you so that Krome's patches will be assigned to each key on Kronos Smile

And can you put two or more performances together so that you have a bigger setlist for each song??
Yatrix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fede,

My logic was that one Performance is normally one Song and it provides quick access to 8 sounds per song. Sounds could be Programs or Combinations (so could be complex).
That is two times more then normally provided by modern arranger keyboards by STS (single touch settings) and I hoped it to be enough.

However, if you need more then 8 sounds for a certain song, then, of cause, you can use two or more Performances for song. Just name performances as Song1_Part1 and Song1_Part2 and etc.

Switching between Performances in Aldan III is very quick.
In addition, you can use external controller to switch Performances by sending CC messages.
Please find on the illustration below two CC fields dedicated for Previous and Next Performance:

Kromeheaven
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Yatrix,

I used Aldan III for my last Korg Krome PCG consersion (see http://www.kromeheaven.com, astropop vol 1 or vol 2), and I realized that the PCG file written by Aldan III does not work properly. (After changing the categories of the sounds)

"FILE UNAVAILABLE" error comes after loading the PCG on the krome.

Do you know what can be the problem? (There was only the F bank in the Krome PCG)

Thank you in advance,
Cyph

http://www.korgnautilus.com
http://www.kromeheaven.com
fede92

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatrix wrote:
Hi Fede,

My logic was that one Performance is normally one Song and it provides quick access to 8 sounds per song. Sounds could be Programs or Combinations (so could be complex).
That is two times more then normally provided by modern arranger keyboards by STS (single touch settings) and I hoped it to be enough.

However, if you need more then 8 sounds for a certain song, then, of cause, you can use two or more Performances for song. Just name performances as Song1_Part1 and Song1_Part2 and etc.

Switching between Performances in Aldan III is very quick.
In addition, you can use external controller to switch Performances by sending CC messages.
Please find on the illustration below two CC fields dedicated for Previous and Next Performance:

Cool!! How can I get the registration key??

BTW, what is CC?
Yatrix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cyph,

I met "FILE UNAVAILABLE" error several times before , more then a year ago, when struggling with M3 compatibility. It took me huge amount of time for investigating the nature of this problem, testing and fixing.
The rationale was in relatively small changes introduced by Korg's programmers in structure of PCG file with release of next OS version for M3.

Guess, now we meet the same case with KROME.
That is very bad issue because Korg never provides any information on changes introduced. The only chance to figure out what was changed is by per-byte analysis of differences between good and bad pcg files. And after that I will need to find the way how to repeat new Korg's logic when preparing/saving PCG file in Aldan.

Unfortunately, I have no Krome on hands to test. So, please, mail me original file(good) and file with few editings done by Aldan (which gives the error) and I'll try to analyse differences.

BR
Yatrix
Yatrix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fede,

Quote:
Cool!! How can I get the registration key??

1. Please download the Aldan III setup file from here:
http://korgpatches.com/patches/m50/aldan_iii_trial and install it.
2. Run Aldan III and go to menu HELP/Registration/ and press big grey button "Buy Registration Key".
3. And, if your Internet connection works, you will see page with order form.

Quote:
BTW, what is CC?

CC- are midi control change messages. CC message may consist of several bytes with such information as type of control, channel and value. If interesting, please, have a look at Krome's midi implementation document and google on "midi format" for more detailed explanations.

BR
Yatrix
fede92

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And can you use a footswitch pedal to switch between sounds and performances??
Yatrix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fede,
The answer will be - No, you can not use footswitch to trigger patches and performances by Aldan III.
Footswitch pedal produces simple electric signals like ON/OFF. Korg M50/KROME allows to assign CC message on signal from footswitch.

But, first of all, that will be a single CC message.
And, secondly (not sure but just assume) such message will not be transmitted outside from the keyboard because M50/KROME have no Midi Thru function.
fede92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, 'cause I'm trying to figure out how to use Aldan III when playing live without taking my hands off the keyboard
fede92

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fede92 wrote:
Oh, 'cause I'm trying to figure out how to use Aldan III when playing live without taking my hands off the keyboard

any idea?? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: