Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any guitar players out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fezzler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Any guitar players out there? Reply with quote

Hi. Beginner to intermediate guitar player and home recording hobbyist here.

I bought the KmS because I was tired of loading and learning different VSTi instruments in my DAW when I just wanted to play with/add virual instrument sounds.

Basically, I love that I can now just turn the KmS on and get the sounds I want. I wish the sounds went to my DAW via usb as opposed to TRS, but whatever.

I have played with the KmS for hours and days. Now, I want to apply it. I am not a keyboard player but can play some chords. So is the best way for me to apply this great tool is to use the recorder/squencer to record a few measures and then render them to my DAW and then cut n paste/arrange in my DAW?

Sorry if I am not articulating this question well. Also, any tips to recording the KmS. I use REAPER and have a Roland Quad Capture.

How can I maximize the creative use of this quickly and record great tracks?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way is to use the sounds to record directly into your DAW using the audio outputs connected to your computer audio interface.

There are more complicated ways to do it, with varying degrees of benefit and complexity, but that would be the most simple.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Fezzler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any difference between recording the microStation from the stereo headjack vs running the L&R MS outputs to the L&R of my A/D card?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. The headphone jack has a preamplifier on it which is designed to amplify for passive headphones. amplifiers introduce noise and there will probably also be a (small) amount of distortion at higher volumes, and the levels will just be wrong for recording.

The L+R outputs are line level so will be cleaner. In short, they are designed for this whilst the headphone socket is designed for headphones...
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Fezzler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
ricstudioc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious - why do the sequencing in the MS? Much as I love it for its' sounds, to be honest the onboard interface is....well, awkward. Seems like you would have a much easier time entering/editing the keyboard parts in Reaper itself. Much more screen real estate, much easier to see what you're doing/have done.

Uses the same L/R main outs from the MS to the recorder, and either MIDI or USB connections to allow the data flow.
Fezzler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I do. Great product for what it does. In hindsight, should have spent more to get keyboard that sends sounds right to DAW via USB.

No big deal though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: