Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would-be killer features: oscilloscope, frequency diagram

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gambler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Would-be killer features: oscilloscope, frequency diagram Reply with quote

I've just bought a couple of books about music production. One of them was Welsh's synthesizer cookbook. It heavily uses frequency diagrams (amplitude plotted against frequency). So a thought occurred to me: a killer feature for a high-end modern synth would be ability to visualize the output of a patch on the screen. I could do that with oscilloscope, but that's extra hardware I don't need. Even better, a synth could integrate signal over time to compile a frequency diagram. This would be extremely useful in analyzing and simulating various sounds.
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Would-be killer features: oscilloscope, frequency diagra Reply with quote

Gambler wrote:
I've just bought a couple of books about music production. One of them was Welsh's synthesizer cookbook. It heavily uses frequency diagrams (amplitude plotted against frequency). So a thought occurred to me: a killer feature for a high-end modern synth would be ability to visualize the output of a patch on the screen. I could do that with oscilloscope, but that's extra hardware I don't need. Even better, a synth could integrate signal over time to compile a frequency diagram. This would be extremely useful in analyzing and simulating various sounds.

*COUGH Native Instruments Razor *COUGH*

Even FM8 has a final waveform diagram.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was referring to a hardware synthesizer, not software... but I could be wrong.

Very Happy
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were building a hardware synth you wouldn't need to include an oscilloscope or any other screen on the synth itself. I would collect raw data in the synth and transmit it to a pc over USB for visualization and further analysis. It could be transmitted in real time or possibly stored to an SD card and transmitted after the performance.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Meanwhile we wait for a hardware synth with these capabilities and if you don't want to spend money on an oscilloscope, you can consider the following FREE piece of software: Visual Analyser 2011. (http://www.sillanumsoft.org/) It is a (+/- realtime) software oscilloscope and spectrum analyser in the same package, visualising the signal on the audio line-in of your PC. At first sight it looks quite technical, because it was intended for broader use than analysing music.

I used it successfully before to learn about waveforms, spectra and filters of my mKXL. Getting a stable waveform view however is a bit difficult when it becomes more complex (because the trigger point triggers several times within one period of the waveform- but there are workarounds).

Have fun.
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
I think he was referring to a hardware synthesizer, not software... but I could be wrong.

Very Happy

I feel like it'd be fairly useless as a feature (an oscilloscope) though it could be really cool just aesthetically. A harmonic spectrum display as mentioned would be more useful though I'm not sure such a thing can be done with analogue hardware on the cheap unless it were additive; obviously digital hardware would have an advantage in this.
Gambler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about hardware-based VAs. It's true that in real analog synth it wouldn't be worth extra circuitry, but in a VA you could simply plot or analyze data before it is sent to AD converter. (Similarly, when you capture data via inputs, you could route it to the visualizer.)

Visual Analyser looks interesting, thanks.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Kronos and an iPad you could do this very simply. I think it sounds more useful than it is though.
Gambler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a DAW instead of Korg's products it's even simpler. :/

I don't see how visualization of sound can be "not useful" in a tool that does sythesis and postproduction.

If I have a sample that I want to recreate using native engines, having its sonogram and the sonogram of my output would be enormously helpful. It also would allow people to discuss sounds in a better, more objective and mature way. We would speak about frequency peaks, rather than something "sunding plasticky".
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my synths routed into Wavelab specifically to use its scopes on the ASIO live input - I literally always use oscilloscope and spectrum analyser (FFT), occasionally phase meter too, in realtime when editing sounds from Virus/Radias/Moss.

It completely changes your way of understanding synthesis and the way you go about making or imitating sounds.

However FFT needs a large chunk of computation to analyse audio in realtime, in addition to the need for it to be sufficiently detailed, displayed and refreshed at a high frame rate for it to be usable. Same with oscilloscope output. Additionally I think only a minority of people would actively make use of them - most people just stick to using presets let alone programming sounds. So I think commercially it would be an expensive addition for such a limited market.

Especially when you think they don't even include aftertouch these days, despite everyone wanting it!

Would be great, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: