Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is It Really Worth Getting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:
Thanks for this, it sounds like Korg fixed some flaws with the envelopes in the Ex version and its your call if that's an improvement. Even if every parameter acted exactly the same, you are sure to end up with a different track if you rework a project with the mini then the Ex.

I consider the MS-20mini one of the most desirable synths to date.
B

I'm not sure about that at all, I think you can get them so close that only someone very obsessive could tell the difference and in a mix I don't believe anyone could tell.

Edit. Ok maybe the really really obsessive could tell in a mix.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you have to dial in different knob settings to get the same envelope. That sounds like a totally reasonable difference, because you would be setting it by ear anyway. If the digital version is in the ballpark for MS-20 signature sound, then its a credible synth in its own right. The only real issue might be the sustain level over 5 making the filter sound different.

Quote:
I'm not sure about that at all, I think you can get them so close

You might have misunderstood me. I always find that recreating a track with another synth, I end up with a completely different result. The difference in tweakability of real knobs versus screen and pointer is enough to send me in different directions and come up with a new creation.

In fact its something I must never do, taking an idea from one drum machine or synth to another just chucks the original musical idea out the window for me.

B
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see what you are saying, sorry I misunderstood.

Most the knob settings between the mini and the Kronos are different, you have to do it by ear for everything really.

The actual envs themselves seem different though, the curves of the segments are slightly different is my guess. Also when I meant faster, for instance a full decay on the kronos takes 17 second while on the mini it is 31 seconds.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my local music store finally got a batch of these in stock, with one not pre-ordered and available for sale. I cam perilously close to buying one today.

But as fate would have it, they moved the demo unit next to a Kronos, which I also own. For the first time I had the opportunity to compare the real MS20 against the model in the Kronos. And was surprised at how close the Kronos was to be honest.

Based on that, I decoded to stick with the Kronos for the time being. Having a polytimbral synth patch storage is probably more practical. I just don't think I would have gotten good use out of the MS20.

I have however ordered a Tetra, which I hope will prove sufficiently sonically different to expand my pallet.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how close the iMS20 app is to the Kronos and the hardware MS20. It would be nice if there was a comparison of all 3 together.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:
I wonder how close the iMS20 app is to the Kronos and the hardware MS20. It would be nice if there was a comparison of all 3 together.

They are all pretty similar sounding to my age fuddled ears.

The mini is more fun to dial sounds into though, iMS20 has the lovely sequencer and the kronos version has much more functionality.

They are all good Smile
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bald Eagle wrote:

I can't imagine they'd be very different, I'm sure they probably share common algorithms. I'm guessing that the iMS20 may be the weakest of the set, in order to save CPU cycles, but this is just a guesz. it's equally possible they all share the exact same algorithms.

I was pleasantly surprised how well the MS20ex in the kronos stacked up against the real thing.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Huegel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely worth the $600. It has the ability to produce warmth (contrary to what Moog users say), growl, nasally screeching insanity, bright, dark, weird, funky, simple and breath-taking sounds. The build is solid, despite a little play in some of the knobs, but nothing to get hung up on.

I gig with it, 2-3 times a week. It's small enough where it's easy to lug around, but feels sturdy on the stand. The keys are slightly smaller, but not annoyingly smaller, and the keybed feels great to the touch. The rest of the time it sits in my home studio being put to good use along side my 80's Korgs. I very much love it.

g r e g o r y t h o m a s h ü g e l
http://huegel.co

Synths: DW-8000, EX-800, MS-20, M1, WaveStation, KingKORG, microKORG, M3, Volca Keys, Volca Beats
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamu wrote:
It has the ability to produce warmth (contrary to what Moog users say),

I'd like to say something in regards to this as well as additional comments on this page-

Many are irritated by the noise that comes in when you turn down the lowpass-filter. I personally find it quite pleasing and very warming to the synth- It can add a very organic, 'reed'-like sax-y feel to your patch. If you don't want it, it doesn't really start coming in until you have the cutoff removing most audible frequencies anyways.

Perhaps it's an error in circuitry, but I find that it adds to the tone.
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It can add some real body to an otherwise emptier patch, give it some growl.
I was playing with a noise a day ago that was a distorted acid patch & the noise was coming in just at the right time as the filter opened a bit. Wicked.
I threw a few patch cables in & fed more white noise from the generator into the mixer & it was even better again.

In my honest opinion. The whole 'people having issue with the noise' thing has been taken way out of proportion & context. It's been confused, twisted,over-imagined, over analyzed & it has also put off newcomers to this synth who don't realize that it is a positive element that the ms20 has. Without that noise, it just would not sound as characterful.
I've expressed the same point before in other words & only because i believe it to be correct.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:

In my honest opinion. The whole 'people having issue with the noise' thing has been taken way out of proportion & context. It's been confused, twisted,over-imagined, over analyzed & it has also put off newcomers to this synth who don't realize that it is a positive element that the ms20 has. Without that noise, it just would not sound as characterful.
I've expressed the same point before in other words & only because i believe it to be correct.

Absolutely! If people don't want the noise and inconsistency , then they probably don't want analogue!

It's like getting back into vinyl then complaining about the cracks and pops.

Etamin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine just over a week ago, and I am having a blast. It doesn't save presets, and you can't run multiple instances in your DAW, but it sounds great, and is so much fun to tweak. Also, has the external signal processor, although have only just started messing with that.

Another big plus for the hardware is if you have a modular. Greatly expands the options with the patch panel, running analog sequencer in, and LFOs, envelopes.
starscrm7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: ms 20 mini Reply with quote

ive had an MS 20 Mini since June and have had no issues for the most part. There is a bit of noise and the triangle wave form is hard to hear but other than that its been a blast. $599 is cheap for a true analog with this many knobs. Im definitely glad i purchased it. Bald Eagle if you have a slim phatty you should be content with that, that would have been one i would have bought as well. I wanted to support Korg in there decision to re-release a classic. If we could only get Roland to re-release a true analog Jupiter 8 or TB303 i would be ecstatic!
DrHoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really worth getting indeed !!!! This guy knows his onions, you don't hear people like this making a noise about noise !

http://youtu.be/n-_o-7zce4c Cool
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrHoo wrote:
Is it really worth getting indeed !!!! This guy knows his onions, you don't hear people like this making a noise about noise !

http://youtu.be/n-_o-7zce4c Cool

This video renews my interest in the MS20 Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: