Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Tutorials
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melodialworks Music
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:

i think it does, here's what i had in mind for the KARMA midi editing and audio rendering part:

- Show how to setup the channels in cubase so that you only will record the KARMA note output
- Change a couple of the KARMA generated notes in the cubase editor
- Render the result to an audio wav file.

I think the 'hard' part for people is that cubase also records the notes that you play (the chords) on top of the KARMA generated notes. There is a simple trick to avoid that and i will also show that in the tutorial.

Is this enough for you to get you started in cubase?

Yes, I think that should work! Thanks!

Lawrence
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would request that when you get to the multi filter in Al1 to please cover the AMS routings and choices a bit, might seem straight forward to some but sometimes I make choices that seem to have no effect. There must be some do's and dont's on what are good uses and bad uses for AMS.
ron@ronniereverb.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
ed_f wrote:

And for those that use Logic - I did basically the same thing for it a few months back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcC3X_uvnUQ

i've watched it ed_f, that's a great tutorial for the people that use logic. If you want i could add a link on my site to your video with your name attached to it so that more people will see it. Then we have the main three DAW's covered on one site.

I have Logic 9, but is it better, or more universal to use Pro Tools, or is Logic 9 just as good.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best DAW is the one you know how to operate. There are relatively few differences between the big ones that are worth noting.
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron@ronniereverb.com wrote:
QuiRobinez wrote:
ed_f wrote:

And for those that use Logic - I did basically the same thing for it a few months back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcC3X_uvnUQ

i've watched it ed_f, that's a great tutorial for the people that use logic. If you want i could add a link on my site to your video with your name attached to it so that more people will see it. Then we have the main three DAW's covered on one site.

I have Logic 9, but is it better, or more universal to use Pro Tools, or is Logic 9 just as good.

I think Sander makes a good point. But, it also depends on what you want to do. One reason I use Logic is the environment. I like to have all kinds of control of my gear through my DAW. You will find threads all over here of people saying "How can I change X on my Kronos" With the Logic environment I can get at just about everything on the machine with CC or sysex. This not only allows me to work more efficiently it allows me more creativity since all of the setup in the environment can be recorded.
ron@ronniereverb.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
The best DAW is the one you know how to operate. There are relatively few differences between the big ones that are worth noting.

That is definitely true for all computer programs, generally speaking. Most people get sick of hearing the hype, "got to get the latest and greatest," where most people are happy to stay with the "older and okay" program which they know how to do everything they need to with.

But with DAWs there's also the factor of whether you might want to turn your raw tracks in Logic over to a studio or some technician to do the actual mix down, who maybe uses Pro Tools. I actually don't know if this would cause a problem or not.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any DAW can import RAW tracks relatively simply. I've exchanged both ways between Logic, Protools, Sonar, Reaper, Cubase and Ableton.

That said, if your colleagues around you are all on a certain DAW, it's definitely useful to be able to give them whole projects. As for bigger studios, while many do use ProTools, they're pros who really won't bat an eye at importing your home cooked 53 audio tracks. I also know a few who use Logic by the way.
ron@ronniereverb.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Any DAW can import RAW tracks relatively simply. I've exchanged both ways between Logic, Protools, Sonar, Reaper, Cubase and Ableton.

That said, if your colleagues around you are all on a certain DAW, it's definitely useful to be able to give them whole projects. As for bigger studios, while many do use ProTools, they're pros who really won't bat an eye at importing your home cooked 53 audio tracks. I also know a few who use Logic by the way.

Well, this is very good to know. But how much difference is there between "the whole project" and just the raw tracks?
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw tracks means just the rendered wavs from individual tracks. Usually they ask that you leave most fx/eqs etc off. Whole projects mean you give them the entire project including all fx with settings, possible midi tracks including vsts, etc.

It's actually less useful than it sounds unless you're intensively collaborating and you keep having to adapt the arrangement and send it back and forth. If you're mainly sending stuff to someone else to get mixed, or to add to an existing arrangement, raw audio is usually fine. They're going to ignore your fx settings anyway (or for the most part) and they may not even have many of the soft synths or other plug ins you use. Not to mention that their job usually isn't to repair your midi performance etc..

I've occasionally sent someone a Logic project, it saves a minute or two in rendering. I definitely wouldn't switch DAWs on the off chance I may need to send someone a ProTools project.

PS I don't say this nearly often enough, but all this is just based on my opinion as a working musician. Your situation and your demands may be entirely different. So take it with a grain of salt and carefully consider your own way of working.
ron@ronniereverb.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Raw tracks means just the rendered wavs from individual tracks. Usually they ask that you leave most fx/eqs etc off. Whole projects mean you give them the entire project including all fx with settings, possible midi tracks including vsts, etc.

......I definitely wouldn't switch DAWs on the off chance I may need to send someone a ProTools project.

...... So take it with a grain of salt and carefully consider your own way of working.

Well, I appreciate it, there's much to be learned by fellow musicians comparing notes.

Yeah, when I record my voice, I want the exact effects that are going to be on the final mix, as I will adjust my voice accordingly while I'm singing with the idea of "this is what everyone is going to be hearing as a final take", so I'm singing and listening carefully simultaneously, and vocally interacting with the different instruments as well.

I guess I was mainly asking on the DAWs because I haven't used logic all that much yet, I was just recording into garage band, then mixing it down in logic, but now with the kronos, that will take GB out of the loop.
ron@ronniereverb.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_f wrote:

I think Sander makes a good point. But, it also depends on what you want to do. One reason I use Logic is the environment. I like to have all kinds of control of my gear through my DAW. You will find threads all over here of people saying "How can I change X on my Kronos" With the Logic environment I can get at just about everything on the machine with CC or sysex. This not only allows me to work more efficiently it allows me more creativity since all of the setup in the environment can be recorded.

Yes, again, it's all what you're familiar with, makes all the difference. I expect to eventually be far more familiar with the Kronos then I'll ever be with a DAW.
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron@ronniereverb.com wrote:
ed_f wrote:

Yes, again, it's all what you're familiar with, makes all the difference. I expect to eventually be far more familiar with the Kronos then I'll ever be with a DAW.

For a lot of things that makes a lot of sense. But if you think you will do a lot of sequencing work, for myself I find a lot of things on the Kronos sequencer can drive me mad or are missing. But as with most things discussed in the forums depends so much on your needs.
ron@ronniereverb.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ed_f"][quote="ron@ronniereverb.com"]
ed_f wrote:

For a lot of things that makes a lot of sense. But if you think you will do a lot of sequencing work, for myself I find a lot of things on the Kronos sequencer can drive me mad or are missing. But as with most things discussed in the forums depends so much on your needs.

Yes, what you need and what you know.
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mucking about at the Karma-Labs forum last night and found a ton of great tutorials for Kronos. One person did quite a significant number of tutorials on PolySix and MS-20. They are very well done and you just might find that you will learn things about the relatively straight forward PolySix that you didn't realize it can do. Smile

Look in the section of Karma Labs devoted to Kronos and in the forum there you will find these tutorials and a number of others as well, including the tutorials from our illustrious and never dubious QuiRobinez.
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:
I was mucking about at the Karma-Labs forum last night and found a ton of great tutorials for Kronos. One person did quite a significant number of tutorials on PolySix and MS-20. They are very well done and you just might find that you will learn things about the relatively straight forward PolySix that you didn't realize it can do. Smile

Look in the section of Karma Labs devoted to Kronos and in the forum there you will find these tutorials and a number of others as well, including the tutorials from our illustrious and never dubious QuiRobinez.

There are threads that point out these tutorials here too. Some interesting information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: