Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange clipping sounds in Triton Le 61

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJutsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Strange clipping sounds in Triton Le 61 Reply with quote

Hey guys. I have a problem (I'm assuming it's a problem as I doubt the synth is supposed to sound like this) where there is a clipping type sound on my keyboard. It is most noticeable on the piano and drum sounds. It sounds just like what audio clipping sounds like. like an unpleasant slight distortion.

Here is an audio example of what I'm talking about.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51105490/TritonLeClippingSound.mp3

And yes I have checked to see if it is indeed actually clipping my audio interface. I also checked with headphones straight from the unit as well as switching the cables. Has this happened to any of you guys? This really sucks as it doesn't seem like a cheap fix. Thanks.
EricJutsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone? At least to confirm that there definitely something wrong with that sound clip.
stephenuk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricJutsu wrote:
anyone? At least to confirm that there definitely something wrong with that sound clip.

it sounds like one of the higher velocities of the piano sound are assigned to an open hihat or possibly it might have mfx assigned with ring modulation. try restoring factory settings by switching on the unit and holding down enter and 0. this will reset all default sounds back to factory then go into global utilitiy and load demo pcg etc
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your work prior to resetting !!!
EricJutsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already did that. I restored everything and nothing has changed Sad
EricJutsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else? Think it is possible to fix?
StudioF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use a headphone, does the clipping occur also?
EricJutsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. I checked already. Did you listen to the sound clip? Could you at least verify that it indeed is messed up sounding. It sucks that it's like this. It was like this when I bought it. Of course any warranty on it is long expired. Does this seem fixable to you?
EricJutsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any other suggestions?
MusicallyMrM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricJutsu wrote:
any other suggestions?

You may have a power supply going bad. Weak ones with less than the proper amperage will do that. It's kind of like what happens to battery powered keyboards when the batteries get weak. The louder the volume applied, usually the worse it sounds. Try your board with a known good power supply and see if that makes a difference.

Currently own Akai AX-60, Roland S-10, Roland alpha Juno 2, Yamaha DX-7 IIfd, Ensoniq ESQ-1 ver. 3.5, Ensoniq TS-12, Roland XP-80, Roland Fantom X7 and my most recent acquisition....Korg Triton LE 76 w/exb-smpl
MusicallyMrM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MusicallyMrM wrote:
EricJutsu wrote:
any other suggestions?

You may have a power supply going bad. Weak ones with less than the proper amperage will do that. It's kind of like what happens to battery powered keyboards when the batteries get weak. The louder the volume applied, usually the worse it sounds. Try your board with a known good power supply and see if that makes a difference.

I don't know if this reply helped the original poster but an update of sorts.

My Triton Le started doing exactly as EJ's did. (the acoustic piano patched used in the audition already sounds sucky) I wasn't up for paying up to 80-90 dollars for a power supply that only steps down Ac Voltage, no rectifiers or even a replaceable fuse inside-you can actually make a better one yourself from parts you can get at Radio Shack. Nevertheless, I used my 9volt, 2.2 amp supply from an Alesis Datadisk that I have and turning the volume anywhere near half on the Triton caused it to distort even worse and the LED's were even dimmer. Mine is fully loaded with the sample expansion board and a full compliment of Ram. I figured there was simply not enough amperage.

I found a replacement on ebay that cost me only $23.95 w/free shipping. A Chinese Manufacturer/Distributor called HQRP. Outputs 9volts @ 3.3 amps. Breathed a new breath of life into my Le and the distortion issue is completely gone. So........if you've got an aging Le still running on the original power supply and showing those symptoms, you might wanna upgrade the power supply. My 2 cents Very Happy

Currently own Akai AX-60, Roland S-10, Roland alpha Juno 2, Yamaha DX-7 IIfd, Ensoniq ESQ-1 ver. 3.5, Ensoniq TS-12, Roland XP-80, Roland Fantom X7 and my most recent acquisition....Korg Triton LE 76 w/exb-smpl
bukowski90210

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you need more RAM. try upgrading your RAM. should be less than $40 for 2 32 mb SIMM RAM sticks
MusicallyMrM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bukowski90210 wrote:
sounds like you need more RAM. try upgrading your RAM. should be less than $40 for 2 32 mb SIMM RAM sticks

That could possibly help Very Happy I found another anomaly that was fixed with a fairly simple repair:

The headphone jack (very cheaply made) was extremely loose on my LE. Took the bottom panel off the LE......quite a few screws and removed the headphone jack/pc board. The solder on two of the 4 pins of the jack had come loose. Resoldered the pins to the board, reassembled everything and the output was clearer and fuller. I was told by a tech at Bull City sound in Durham NC that one of the pins that came loose breaks the circuit at the output jacks allowing sound only through the headphone jacks; the other pin serves as a ground. He says that the broken pin will cause distortion at the audio board. Not sure about everything Russ tells me but I do know that resoldering those joints fixed the problem Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: