Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing loaded external Midi file plays wrong instruments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavywoody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Playing loaded external Midi file plays wrong instruments Reply with quote

I am a total newbie to Midi so place have patience Smile While I am learning to use it, I wanted to load some MIDI files onto the MS and play them back so we have keyboards for the band while I actually learn how to play them. But what I can't figure out is I will find a good midi file, it sounds good, I load it on the MS, and the instruments are jumbled. I have looked through the documentation but I can't seem to find how I have to edit the file or the keyboard so that each instrument plays correctly. Any resources or advance would be much appreciated!
bradkorg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very simple, everything is explained in the OG: Owners Guide and PG: Parameters Guide.
You need to set mS to SoundBank mode: GM(2) and use GM initialize command.
Quote:

PG p69:
Load SMF (.mid files)
The selected Standard MIDI File will be loaded into the
load‐destination song you specify. System exclusive messages
and universal exclusive messages included in the SMF
data will be loaded as exclusive events.
To [S000...S127: Name]
Program banks and program numbers loaded in the
song will follow the “Bank Map” settings (p.59). If
“Bank Map” is Korg, bank A will be selected for bank
select 00.00 (MSB.LSB). If “Bank Map” is GM (2), bank
GM will be selected.
----
OG Appendix p66:
(.mid files) SMF you loaded in Media mode won’t play
correctly
 Use the song command GM Initialize to restore the
settings. PG p. 49
 Set Global/Media: Basic, Bank Map to GM(2).
PG p. 59
---
PG Song Command p49:
GM Initialize
This command transmits a GM System On message to the
Sequencer mode, resetting all tracks to the GM settings.
Please see “GM Initialize List” below.

In Sequencer mode, when a GM System On message is
received from an external device, or if a GM System On
message is recorded in the sequence data, the microSTATION
will be reset to settings appropriate for GM
just as if you had executed this command. However, in
these cases, the various master effects and total effect
parameters will not be reset.
---
PG p59:
Bank Map [KORG, GM(2)]
This specifies the mapping of programs and combinations
relative to Bank Select control change messages (CC#0
upper byte and CC#32 lower byte).
---

( See next post under for correct GM SMF playback procedure)
After editing your song instruments etc. you can save the instruments setup as templates:
There are 16 preset templates available and 16 user templates editable. Before loading the midi song, load the (edited) song template first in the Global mode, read carefully all the instructions in both guides:
Quote:

Owners Guide p42:
Saving the song setting parameters
The “song setting parameters” you edit here can be
saved as a template.
If you use these settings frequently, you can save them
as a template and then load them when necessary
(PG p. 48 “Save Template”).
Using templates
Loading a template as the default song
Here’s how to load a template as the default song for
Sequencer mode when the unit is turned on...

Parameters Guide p48:
Load Template
This command loads a template song.
The built‐in sequencer contains sixteen different preset template
songs (P00–15) that contain settings for programs and
effects appropriate for various musical styles. You are also free
to create your own favorite settings for programs, track parameters,
and effects, and save them as one of sixteen user template
songs (U00–15). (“Save Template” on page 48 )...

Last edited by bradkorg on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
heavywoody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I must be missing something in the steps. I followed what you wrote. Here is where I run into the problem. I did GM Initialize and set the soundbank to GM(2). Then when I check each track, the instrument is completely wrong. For example, track 1 will say Rock Organ but then list 019: Attack PF. So I change that to 061: Rock Organ. If I play the midi file it sounds fine. The MIDI file, but default, has everything on the Piano program. So I changed one program to bass and one to drums. I then go up and tell it to save as a template, which is says it writes. When I pay the song again, everything has reverted back. I then go up and Load Template and select my user template I made, but again everything is reverted.

Let me ask you another question. So I would have to make a template for every MIDI song I would play? So it is not as simply as just loading a MIDI file and telling it to play? If I were going to gig somewhere, I would have to have a template and the SNG for every song?

Is there an easier way to reassign the instruments and programs? Can that be done through the windows editor?
mocando
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavywoody wrote:
Thank you. I must be missing something in the steps. I followed what you wrote. Here is where I run into the problem. I did GM Initialize and set the soundbank to GM(2). Then when I check each track, the instrument is completely wrong. For example, track 1 will say Rock Organ but then list 019: Attack PF. So I change that to 061: Rock Organ. If I play the midi file it sounds fine. The MIDI file, but default, has everything on the Piano program. So I changed one program to bass and one to drums. I then go up and tell it to save as a template, which is says it writes. When I pay the song again, everything has reverted back. I then go up and Load Template and select my user template I made, but again everything is reverted.

Let me ask you another question. So I would have to make a template for every MIDI song I would play? So it is not as simply as just loading a MIDI file and telling it to play? If I were going to gig somewhere, I would have to have a template and the SNG for every song?

Is there an easier way to reassign the instruments and programs? Can that be done through the windows editor?

I think whats happening is that your MIDI file have program change messages inside. You might want to remove those.

Korg Gear: Wavestation
Korg Software: KLC Wavestation, iWavestation for iPad
Non Korg: M-Audio Code 61 MIDI Controller, Nektar GX49 MIDI Controller
Music Computing: 16in Macbook Pro with Touch Bar Mid 2019, i9 32GB RAM 2TB Flash, MacOS Catalina - 2019 iPad Air 64GB
Software: Apple MainStage, Arturia V Collection 7, Arturia OB-Xa V
Visit: Synth Fans :: Everything Synths Twitter: @korgfans
bradkorg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavywoody wrote:

I suggest you to read all the manuals OG/PG/VNL besides your mS, from beginning to end and apply/verify/understand all the steps explained directly onto mS!
--------
First the OS(Operating System) and UI(User Interface) on mS is limited, simply it's not a PC/Windows/MAC.

1)When using the sequencer [SEQ] mode, the bootup [000:New Song] as any create a new or loaded SMF song will have the default [Initial Song] with its 16 instruments setup.
[see mS and [PG p58] Global/Media mode> Basic> Initial Song> P00:Pop]

2)When loading a SMF (GM .mid) into the SEQ [xxx:(New Song)], the SMF will be played with the [Initial Song] Instruments setup. Or when Loading the SMF file into [001:(no name) and up] without the [Initial Song] setup, the all 16 instruments defaults to: piano.
a)-Use SONG Command> GM Initialize> OK? yes, will setup the default GM instrument/drum bank. Midi song is still not loaded with the correct instruments!
b)-Now exit [SEQ] mode i.e. by selecting [GLB/MEDIA] and then return to [SEQ] mode, NOW the midi song will be reloaded with the correct GM instruments! ( no templates involved! )
[see ms and [PG p32] SEQ commands tree]

3)When you re-edit the voices etc. and save the song as SMF file, you will need every time do the 2ab steps on the mS.
a)-Save it as SEQ (.SNG), then the song will play all direct correctly on mS!
---
Ofcourse using the pc/mac Editor is the best with the GUI and able to edit/save/load files on pc.
-As some changes in some options/settings done on mS or Editor, these changes aren't instantly communicated/updated between mS and Editor.
-You will need to update it by using the Editor [UTILITY] menu options: i.e. [Receive All] when changed settings on mS or [Transmit All] when changed settings on Editor.

Just learn it by trial and error, till you understand the correct steps etc.!
KORG2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also Microstation and SMF
studio99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: smf on microstation Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem.
Are these the steps?

Be sure bank is set to GM
Load SMF
(Song Menu) initialize GM
Return to Global menu
return to sequencer menu
Do any additional editing desired
Save as Korg Song

And all will be OK on future load ups?
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disable program change when editing midi's for each track with data on it on the M50 . I am not sure but it is quite possibly the case for the micro also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: