Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP KEYS NOT WORKING!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VardanaAi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: HELP KEYS NOT WORKING! Reply with quote

I bought a used PA1X and noticed 1-3 keys in the keyboard are not working well, you can only hear it when you press hard. I called up a local store and they said its because of the sensor pad or something like that. I need help what can I do? Can I fix it myself? If not how much will I have to pay? Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its fairly easy to fix your self. Buy a couple of 12 pt contacts from here.
http://www.guitar-parts.com/content/estore_list.asp?category=3&catname=Korg
I can give you installation instructions later.
Best,
John
VardanaAi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John I just want to say thanks for taking the time and answering the question. If you may, please give me step by step instructions. Thank you.
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your keyboard upside-down on something soft (and dont squash your joystick).
Undo the silver colored screws that hold the keys in place (there's 16 of them on the pro).
Carefully slide out the keys (it come out as a complete unit). You can bring it forward enough to be able to
carefully unglug the two sets of ribbon wires by carefully prying them upwards - I left the couple of single wires because they were long enough not to worry about disconnecting.
On the back of the keys are two long contact boards. Undo the screws that hold the board on and turn it over.
Now you can see the rubber contact velocity strips. These peel off very easily. You will find your offending note either has a dirty contact problem (just blow it clean) or more likely a small tear in the rubber. Replace the rubber strip with the new one simply by poking it back into place with an straightened paper-clip or other reasonably blunt but small object (a pin is too sharp).

I copied this from mrniceneasy's website - he has lots of helpful hints here:http://korgpa2xpro.yolasite.com/ see A-Z help.
VardanaAi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for that info, very helpful. I'll attempt to fix the contact key(s) but I'm afraid of the wiring part, do I have to be extra careful?
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - be careful but its not too difficult. I have replaced rubber contact strips 3 times now. The ribbon wires are strong enough - just make sure you pull them upwards. The rubber strips are the easy bit - they just poke in place with small dimples into the circuit board.
The most difficult part is access. The silver screws on the back hold the keybed in place and you will be able to slide it out some distance before the wires start pulling. Its at this point you need to disconnect them.
After you keybed is loose I find it helpful to prop up the keyboard between some pillows so it rests on the rear (where all the plugs go) to give you access to both sides.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi folks i may need some step by step help with a repair to my keyboard. The D key just above middle c is now sounding at maximum volume even when you press the key very gently. I think the contact strip has gone. Can anyone tell me where to buy the replacement part and then give me a step by step idiots guide to repairing it. i have gospel concert on next saturday at church and my keyboard has to be ready. cheers .
miden
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Worth - try here http://www.guitar-parts.com/catalog/korg

It is where I got all the parts to refurbish a PA1xPro ages ago. Including the difficult to find style start/stop button.

I always dealt with a guy called Mike...very clever guy and KNOWS his synths too!! jc@sover.net

In fact, I still have a couple of left-over keypad strips which you can have for free, if you can wait for the slow postage (using standard international post) from Australia to Old Blighty....

The minimum you can replace is a four contact strip from memory, you actually cannot replace a single one...I am pretty sure I still have an eight or a 12 contact strip somewhere...

Anyhoo let me know if you want them...as I said no charge..happy to help you out!!

Dennis

PS: I also found this as well...

Replace Velocity Strip:

Put your keyboard upside-down on something soft (and dont squash your joystick).
Undo the screws that hold the keys in place (there's 16 of them on the pro).
Carefully slide out the keys (it come out as a complete unit). You can bring it forward enough to be able to
carefully unglug the two sets of ribbon wires by carefully prying them upwards - I left the couple of single wires because they were long enough not to worry about disconnecting.
On the back of the keys are two long contact boards. Undo the screws that hold the board on and turn it over.
Now you can see the rubber contact velocity strips. These peel off very easily. You will find your offending note either has a dirty contact problem (just blow it clean) or more likely a small tear in the rubber. Replace the rubber strip with the new one simply by poking it back into place with an straightened paper-clip or other reasonably blunt but small object (a pin is too sharp).

The whole process takes about 20-30 minutes….

Thanks to Mr Nice and Easy and his website. I knew this info was somewhere, just took me a while to remember!!!

http://korgpa2xpro.yolasite.com/
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for the offer Dennis. i am happy to report that whatever caused the problem temporarily has now gone. I tried the keyboard yesterday and the D key (and all the other functions ) are working fine again. Its probably a warning that something is going to fail though so i would welcome those strips if you are still happy to send them to me.

email me and i will send you my postal address spalding1968@googlemail.com

Thanks again for your help. i really do need to sort out how i can preserve all the work i have done on my keyboard over tyhe last 6-7 years .
Wings
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Worth...sorry for the late reply.

What has happened to your PAX is that a tiny (and I do mean that in the most correct description) speck of dust, hair or other has landed between the contact-pad and the micro-switch (preassure-sensitive) underneath.
Being that the sympthomes comes and goes, COULD indicate that the "spring-effect" in the rubber-pad itself is deminishing (as in mine).
I have tried to order new pads directly from the importer (yes, you know who you are), but they just direct me to a local dealer (who this far has failed to order the spares needed...it has been 5 months now).

My new rock-band
My new duo's homepage - mostly in norwegian, but give it a go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guitar parts store mentioned above is the place to order from. I have had the parts arrive in Australia just a few days after ordering.
Best,
John
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and my problem seems to have gone altogether so Wings is probably right for my problem
tommymandel

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to John, Miden and Wings, I fixed the same problem on a Pa1x I got used a few days ago. Much much thanks, guys. All of a sudden (a day after I'd gotten it) the 2nd C from the bottom (61-note axe) was playing only and always at full velocity! And if I hit it really soft, then it might not sound at all.
A search landed me here and I followed the instructions. In my case, it turns out that just that one sensor had a kind of dimple in it, and, as you cautioned, I just gently pressed at it with the tip of a Parker pen refill. It 'undimpled' - sort of popped back into the hemisphere that the other notes look like. Very Happy
The punch line is that when I got it back together, Aftertouch didn't work. So I had to disassemble the whole thing, Again!!! Rolling Eyes But since I'd had a similar problem with a Karma years ago, I knew how sensitive the transparent ribbon connector attaching on the left to the keyboard can be, so I was very careful about that. Turns out, I'd not screwed the big rails that 'frame the keyboard' back in all the way. Once I'd sorted that out, Aftertouch was working again!
I had to open it up one more time (!??!) because one of the screws had gotten wedged between the case and 3 keys (don't ask!!!) but now it's back together.
Thanks again for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa1X - Pa1Xpro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: