Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Testing the Editor. SNG Load and Save.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulmac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Testing the Editor. SNG Load and Save. Reply with quote

Testing SNG Saving and the editor...

Goal: setup a set instruments in a .SNG ( just to test the Editor Funcionality ).

1.- Everything turned off, Stand Alone Editor in MAC not running.
2.- Turn MicroStation ON
3.- Wait to be playable ( I can play the keyboard and hear L/R Piano )
4.- Open the Stand Alone Editor ( SAE from now on ... ).

I have Total Recall OFF, all options, I don't want to wait for sync time.
Loading data from the computer using a KORG file.

5.- Select SEQ in the SAE.
6.- Click BROWSE to see the SNG list
7.- Double Click on S001, "Create new Song" dialog appears, click OK... wait a few seconds, "Create new song error" :S

Workarround..

In the MS....
8. SEQ -> Right Arrow -> SONG Command -> Create New -> Ok.
works.
9.- The editor is listing the new SNG in SEQ -> BROWSE.

in the Editor...

10.- GM initialize just to clear all programs, now everything is "Acoustic Piano" and "STANDARD KIT" for drums on CH10.

11.- Assign L/R Piano to Track 1 and D019 Basic Kit3 to Track 16.

now... at this point if I close the Editor and turn the MS off I would loose "my song", so ..

12.- Try to Save the Song in the Editor...
13.- SAE -> SEQ -> Utility -> Save, file name: test1.MSTsq ( a SEQ file in my computer ).
14.- Just in case I'm saving "the SEQ" in the MS SD Card....
15.- GLOBAL/MEDIA -> MEDIA -> Save SEQ -> 0007.sng ( is the next available file on my SD card )

now... Close the Editor and Turn MS off... MS On again and Open the Editor Again ...

16.- in the SAE ... SEQ -> Browse ... only 1 song is showing, it has default settings.This matches the MS.

17.- try to open the .MSTsq file stored in my computer...
18.- in the SAE.. SEQ -> Utility -> Load... select the file created in step 13... "Load Error" !!!!!! why ??? it has nothing !!! only a couple of instruments selected, I don't want to think what is going to happen with full .SNG songs with actual music in it.

So.. I have "the backup" in the SD card, let's try it...

19.- in the MS, GLOBAL MEDIA -> MEDIA -> LOAD -> Load .SNG -> 0007.sng ( saved in step 15 )...

20-. Select only the SONG I was working with ( not ALL SNG ) ...
21.- put it on top of the current SONG.... it works.

Conclusion... Loading an Saving SEQ Data in the Editor DOES NOT WORK !!!!

At least not in Mac, can somebody please try to do the same in Windows ? just to discard it is a problem with SAE MAC version.

[/url]
bradkorg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery solved!

You can't save/load the actual SONG DATA NOTES, only the SEQ song setup, thats why the .MST extension instead .SNG/.MID, it makes sence because the mS built-in SEQ is standalone and its memory/functions is only accessible through its own keyboard/SD slot!

mS Editor is a WYSIWYG editor, what is not there, there is no control over mS!
---
So your SAE MAC act the same as my SAE PC Vista, no song data, only the layout are saved.
---
It's very simple instead going editing through the mS LCD/keyboard, you use the mS Editor GUI faster and comfortable!

Quote:

http://korg.com/microstation

FEATURES:
Stand-Alone + Plug-In Editing software
The bundled "microSTATION Editor" and "microSTATION Plug-In Editor" software lets you use your computer to edit the microSTATION's Programs, Combinations, Drum kits, and Arpeggio patterns. The "microSTATION Editor" is a stand-alone program, while the "microSTATION Plug-In Editor" allows the microSTATION to be used as a VST, AU or RTAS plug-in instrument inside a DAW or other host application on your computer.
These editors allow more detailed sound editing than is possible from the microSTATION itself. You can also save sounds that you've created on the microSTATION.

Last edited by bradkorg on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
bradkorg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing the Editor. SNG Load and Save. Reply with quote

pulmac wrote:
Testing SNG Saving and the editor...

Goal: setup a set instruments in a .SNG ( just to test the Editor Funcionality ).

1.- Everything turned off, Stand Alone Editor in MAC not running.
2.- Turn MicroStation ON
3.- Wait to be playable ( I can play the keyboard and hear L/R Piano )
4.- Open the Stand Alone Editor ( SAE from now on ... ).

I have Total Recall OFF, all options, I don't want to wait for sync time.
Loading data from the computer using a KORG file.

[Here is your fault, you need at least have the SEQ=ON!, if you want instant changes be synced, like creating new song etc.]

5.- Select SEQ in the SAE.
6.- Click BROWSE to see the SNG list
7.- Double Click on S001, "Create new Song" dialog appears, click OK... wait a few seconds, "Create new song error" :S

[NO problem here, it create and transmit autosynced with the mS a new "001 NEW SONG", your error is because you disabled the Total Recall!]

Workarround..

In the MS....
8. SEQ -> Right Arrow -> SONG Command -> Create New -> Ok.
works.
9.- The editor is listing the new SNG in SEQ -> BROWSE.

in the Editor...

10.- GM initialize just to clear all programs, now everything is "Acoustic Piano" and "STANDARD KIT" for drums on CH10.

11.- Assign L/R Piano to Track 1 and D019 Basic Kit3 to Track 16.

now... at this point if I close the Editor and turn the MS off I would loose "my song", so ..

12.- Try to Save the Song in the Editor...
13.- SAE -> SEQ -> Utility -> Save, file name: test1.MSTsq ( a SEQ file in my computer ).
14.- Just in case I'm saving "the SEQ" in the MS SD Card....
15.- GLOBAL/MEDIA -> MEDIA -> Save SEQ -> 0007.sng ( is the next available file on my SD card )

now... Close the Editor and Turn MS off... MS On again and Open the Editor Again ...

16.- in the SAE ... SEQ -> Browse ... only 1 song is showing, it has default settings.This matches the MS.

17.- try to open the .MSTsq file stored in my computer...
18.- in the SAE.. SEQ -> Utility -> Load... select the file created in step 13... "Load Error" !!!!!! why ??? it has nothing !!! only a couple of instruments selected, I don't want to think what is going to happen with full .SNG songs with actual music in it.

[Working perfect here, loading the SEQ layout ok, your load error is caused by disabled Total Recall!]

So.. I have "the backup" in the SD card, let's try it...

19.- in the MS, GLOBAL MEDIA -> MEDIA -> LOAD -> Load .SNG -> 0007.sng ( saved in step 15 )...

20-. Select only the SONG I was working with ( not ALL SNG ) ...
21.- put it on top of the current SONG.... it works.

Conclusion... Loading an Saving SEQ Data in the Editor DOES NOT WORK !!!!

At least not in Mac, can somebody please try to do the same in Windows ? just to discard it is a problem with SAE MAC version.

[Working perfect here, loading the SEQ layout ok, your load error is caused by disabled Total Recall!]

[/url]

[CASE CLOSED!
Conclusion:
1) set your Total Recall & Data Sync Settings correctly ON!
2) mS Editor is WYSIWYG and doesn't save/load the actual internal sequencer song/notes data, only the song instrument etc. setup as MST files!
mS built-in SEQ is standalone and its memory/functions is only accessible through its own keyboard/SD slot!
3) mS Editor GUI is easier to use than on mS limited LCD and key controls! and the only way to have access to soundwaves editing!
4) MAC mS Editor is/has the same functionality as Windows mS Editor!
CASE CLOSED!]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: