Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Korg Microstation good for my needs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morkys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Is the Korg Microstation good for my needs? Reply with quote

I have been looking for a keyboard with really good sound which has at least 61 mini keys and I love synth sounds. I have not even started to learn, so live performance is not on my mind at the moment. Even though the MS is a synth device for studio, I am looking at it because I want something with mini keys. I have nerve damage in my right hand, so it is hard for me to play certain chords on a full sized keyboard. I may still be limited in the chords I can play with my right hand on a mini-keyboard, but I can at least try with mini keys and have the best chance at playing. I don't need a keyboard with speakers. I have a high end music quality Marantz avr and nice Boston Acoustics speakers in my bedroom which will allow me to learn to play using high quality sounds and mini keys. I will want to play songs with regular piano sounds, organ and synth. I want to learn to play and sing along with songs (or parts of songs) from bands like the Doors, Supertramp, Billy Joel, Elton John, other random Synth Pop and Rock music etc.

Especially for the money, is there any reason the Korg Microstation doesn't make sense?

thanks in advance for any feedback,

Smile
lostchild

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is a great sounding synth, my friend has an triton classic..he was shocked that mine could keep up soundwise....he doesnt like the mini keys...
(triton keys are nice..but full size)
but loved that mine is adjustable via pc usb, it does have limitations no key aftertouch.
Onboard sequencer is ok but basic.
Screen only small, but if using pc not problem (even without after short time isnt problem)
Piano's are cool, if you get one make sure download KORGMANS free patches (there's a link somewhere in this forum to were to get from and youtube vids, the piano combi he did is great sounding)

I think it would fit your needs as described
morkys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostchild wrote:
is a great sounding synth, my friend has an triton classic..he was shocked that mine could keep up soundwise....he doesnt like the mini keys...
(triton keys are nice..but full size)
but loved that mine is adjustable via pc usb, it does have limitations no key aftertouch.
Onboard sequencer is ok but basic.
Screen only small, but if using pc not problem (even without after short time isnt problem)
Piano's are cool, if you get one make sure download KORGMANS free patches (there's a link somewhere in this forum to were to get from and youtube vids, the piano combi he did is great sounding)

I think it would fit your needs as described

Ok.

I have heard that aftertouch can be "drawn in when needed" on some keyboards. I don't know exactly what that means. Does that mean that effect can be used or applied to a recording? Can it be applied to live performance?

It is not a deal breaker either way.

Thanks for the feedback.
lostchild

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aftertouch can be set to a few things (with keyboard that has it on you press after already hit keys, guess why its called aftertouch) can do similar things with the joystick and setting what it does, isnr deal breaker. I love mine. Can't stress enough korgmans patches
morkys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostchild wrote:
Aftertouch can be set to a few things (with keyboard that has it on you press after already hit keys, guess why its called aftertouch) can do similar things with the joystick and setting what it does, isnr deal breaker. I love mine. Can't stress enough korgmans patches

I have a display unit set aside at a somewhat local music store for me along with a sustain pedal to be picked up tomorrow. Smile

Does the Microstation come with an AC adapter or do I need to buy that separately?
lostchild

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it come witH supply (I got mine s/h)
morkys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostchild wrote:
Think it come witH supply (I got mine s/h)

It comes with the AC adapter. I picked up a generic sustain pedal and some 1/4" to rca cables and it's connected into my receiver and playing out my speakers. Looks pretty good. Should work well and has more toys than I will need for a while, but you can't beat this sound quality in a 61 mini key keyboard which is exactly what I needed. Only issue I can see is possibly what sounds like gate noise, but it's rare.
lostchild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gate noise? Are you meaning the ground loop thing
morkys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostchild wrote:
Gate noise? Are you meaning the ground loop thing

I just thought I heard some clicking and static on playing of demo's and audition sounds. I think it may have just been less than perfect connection as I was moving things around. Hasn't happened again.

I was wondering if the microSTATION has an actual adjustable synth as in an envelope generator with adsr? Can I take sounds in the keyboard and modify them and/or make my own? It is not in the owners manual explicitly, but the website says this so I guess it does:

Modulation:
Expansive modulation is also vital. The microSTATION inherits the EG (Envelope Generator), LFO, key tracking generator, AMS (Alternate Modulation System), and AMS mixer from the EDS sound engine, allowing full-fledged synthesis possibilities.

So assume it has adsr ?
lostchild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Šefinatly adjust/make your own sounds from building blocks like saw waves, piano samples etc (that are built in) lookup korg patches. I did dakota one. Not sure what your asking about modulation
morkys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostchild wrote:
Šefinatly adjust/make your own sounds from building blocks like saw waves, piano samples etc (that are built in) lookup korg patches. I did dakota one. Not sure what your asking about modulation

I wasn't asking about modulation, I was just re typing what it said on the website.

I emailed korgmann. Just waiting to hear back.
lostchild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol why I wasn't sure what you meant, korgman knows his stuff and his patches are great. Recommend them if you get one
morkys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostchild wrote:
Lol why I wasn't sure what you meant, korgman knows his stuff and his patches are great. Recommend them if you get one

Cool. No problem. He sent me something so I will check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: