Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA3X shuts down randomly
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: PA3X shuts down randomly Reply with quote

Hi, my PA3X V1.60 shut down 2 times this afternoon as I was singing live !!
Is that a bug or something else that is known, power supply weakness, idle button too sensible?
What to do as it's random, it's very odd
Thanks for help
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I could ask you if "auto power off" is disabled ? still makes no sense since even is "enabled" , Pa3x should
not shut down while playing , but after a long time that no key is pressed !!!

Also this is the third time I'm aware of this malfunction and really makes me wonder if this wasteful function contains
a buggy script that must be seriously considered by KorgPa !!!

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: yes i said this before you're not alone Reply with quote

my pa3x v160 , did the same in the middle of a wedding ,, and the harmony was act up , stuck note or voice . try loading in a new set to see if that change thing ,,, but no ,,, so i did a 160 reset 3 time , no good after that ,, but after taking the battery out and keep it out ,, so far all is good ,, i do not know what it is ,, and yes the auto power is off,,, disabled ,,,
Dan_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Though I could ask you if "auto power off" is disabled ? still makes no sense since even is "enabled" , Pa3x should
not shut down while playing , but after a long time that no key is pressed !!!

Also this is the third time I'm aware of this malfunction and really makes me wonder if this wasteful function contains
a buggy script that must be seriously considered by KorgPa !!!

The "auto Power Off" was unchecked...
Is there something wrong with the 1.60 version you think?
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not know yet ... just speculation of software combined with hardware switching weakness !
For time being I can't reproduce it ... Future will determine the rest !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Dan_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
I really do not know yet ... just speculation of software combined with hardware switching weakness !
For time being I can't reproduce it ... Future will determine the rest !

I never had this bug with 1.50, did you with the previous version ? not sure a hardware problem...
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_ wrote:
I never had this bug with 1.50, did you with the previous version ? not sure a hardware problem...

Not required to mention the obvious , that only OS v1.6 had interfered to ST-By off hardware switch ... That's Why !

Dan_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ok KORG, or whatever you are when reading these lines, I simply don't care if there's something wrong with the hardware or the software.
As lots of us are experiencing the same odd issue, we do need an update or whatever you call it.
It's simply unacceptable to pay 3200 € for a - let's call it "PRO" for one minute- keyboard that shuts down randomly many times as you're singing before a 500 people just like me last week end !!
KORG, what do you take us for ? Some of us are PRO and paid for a PRO solution. We 're not playing with a Farfisa right ?, that's why we have trust in THIS keyboard, don't we ? Unless it was not worth it to do so ?
Please do a correction, an update quick, very quick!!!
I know there are other bugs, but this one is just UNBELIEVABLE !!!!
Thanks for considering seriously this post in order to resolve this issue.

To those who are reading this post, please make this post going up and up until it will be resolved, because you are concerned believe me, even if you have not expenrienced it yet, because it occurs randomly !!!
deanspy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more likely to be dirty power. This is the surprising answer for many hardware and software problems.

I never leave home without a proper power conditioner and voltage regulator. If you are using a cheap UPS, your problems could be doubled by square wave supply.

Spend the money.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=P-1800AR

or something similar. This is the 120V version.

I have had equipment and computer problems disappear from venues after using this product.
MOTU 896mk3
Spark, Maschine, KOMPLETE
Other bits and bobs
Dan_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanspy wrote:
It is more likely to be dirty power. This is the surprising answer for many hardware and software problems.

I never leave home without a proper power conditioner and voltage regulator. If you are using a cheap UPS, your problems could be doubled by square wave supply.

Spend the money.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=P-1800AR

or something similar. This is the 120V version.

I have had equipment and computer problems disappear from venues after using this product.

Sorry but I never had this problem with 1.50...
deanspy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_ wrote:

Sorry but I never had this problem with 1.50...

Maybe not - but common mode problems can cause software problems, so maybe the software interaction is making hardware calls that are more sensitive.

I have experienced this myself, but hey - it's only me. YMMV Wink
MOTU 896mk3
Other bits and bobs
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_ wrote:
I never had this bug with 1.50, did you with the previous version ...

It could be nice for you to downgrade at OS v.1.5 for a while and let us know if indeed OS v.1.6 is your
issue of something else related !
As concern to UPS the cheapest PC UPS of 40 $ is already enough for your Pa3X !

Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi @Dan_@

It's definitely a great idea to use the UPS especially in countries like Greece where power interruptions and power overvoltage spikes are the norm and not the exception. Antony and I know about this the hard way Smile

The UPS will save the keyboard (and other appliances like TV's, Computers and sound systems) from voltage spikes and whiteouts in the mains supply that would otherwise cause a shutdown or permanent damage. Before using UPS's as standard on all our outlets, we "lost" two computers, one large screen TV, one music keyboard, one office PBX and six office telephones. The damage was caused in all cases due to voltage surges in the mains supply.

I'd be very pleased to learn of anyone with OS1.6 who is using a UPS and then the keyboard shuts down unexpectedly. This would point to a serious design problem in OS1.6 or possibly in the hardware of the Pa3x. Then the next test would be to revert to OS1.5 and see if the problem recurs. If it does, then it is more likely to be Pa3x hardware, if the problem does not recur then it seems the OS1.6 upgrade is the culprit.

If there is a better diagnosis (if it is indeed OS1.6 that is the culprit, I'm sure the forum Admins would publish a recommendation for everyone to downgrade to OS1.5 and would then persuade Korg to fix OS1.6.

Thanks,
Rob
deanspy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
As concern to UPS the cheapest PC UPS of 40 $ is already enough for your Pa3X !

Bad advice. Cheapest UPS are square wave and are of no benefit to the quality of your power source. Ask any electrical engineer.
MOTU 896mk3
Other bits and bobs
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dean,

Hope you and family are keeping well in Canada.

Your caution about ultra-cheap UPS supplies with square wave output is welcome. As you rightly say, there are many cheap UPS supplies that will work fine with a computer but which have a "Square Wave" output that will generate a lot of unwanted mains noise interference when used with audio equipment such as the Pa3x.

But let's not "throw the baby out with the bath water here", nor upset Antony whose skill and advice as a developer is invaluable on this forum.

We are recommending any small UPS with a rating above 400VA and with a "Pure Sine Wave" output. Yes, the buyer will need to get hold of a full printed specification and check that it says "Pure Sine Wave", and that it has the right plugs and sockets and output voltage rating for your country.

e.g. I can confirm from checking APC's web site that the APC "Smart-UPS" series offers "pure sine wave output on battery." For use in Europe at 240V AC, this model is suitable for the Pa3x and costs 139.99 GBP from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEW-APC-Smart-UPS-620VA-230V/dp/B00079VLM0/ref=sr_1_12?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1361397635&sr=1-12

If anyone finds a cheaper one with "pure sine wave output" please post your findings here ...

Best regards,
Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: