Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will KORG solve USB MIDI Compliant compatibility problem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miljantoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Will KORG solve USB MIDI Compliant compatibility problem? Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Novation Impulse 49 (as one of the best controllesr nowadays) does not work with KRONOS as MIDI Compliant controller. Shocked Shocked
I had a lot of contact with representatives of Novation and they claim that their device is MIDI compliant because it works with the iPad plug'n'play only with the USB cable and they claim there is problem with Korg.?? Confused Confused
Has anyone tried the Kronos with Novation Impulse and do some work only with the USB cable?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will KORG solve USB MIDI Compliant compatibility problem?

I think there is very little any end user can do to here to help you. Your best option is to contact KORG.

Regards
Sharp.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any incompatibility with class-compliant USB midi controllers.
What is the exact problem that you are having? Please try to be as specific as possible.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
miljantoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dan,
It's a Simple.
I've tried the following MIDI compliant models :
M-Audio Axiom pro,
AKAI MPK49,
M-Audio OXYGEN new vers.,
Alesis Q49,
Alesis QX49,
Behringer UMX490
and they all worked (they had the power from Kronos and they have MIDI data comunication with Kronos), all but Novation Impulse 49????? Impulse recieve only Power supply via USB????
Before I bought Impulse, I received a written confirmation from Novation support that their Impulse series controllers are MIDI compliant and to assure me that everything will work alongside their help with little of setup.
Unfortunately, when I explained the problem and they were confused why only the Korg Kronos does not work with Novation Impulse as a MIDI compliant controller but runs very well on iPad, PC, Mac Pro, just plug and play .... ???
They dont have Kornos at their office to check this but they check with iPad, PC and MacPro.
Their explanation is that the problem is in the Korg because only he don't recognizes the Impulse controller. Just give the Power supply by USB. But MIDI....NOT??????

Who is in this case right?? Novation or Korg ? ? ?
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miljantoto wrote:
Dear Dan,
It's a Simple.
I've tried the following MIDI compliant models :
M-Audio Axiom pro,
AKAI MPK49,
M-Audio OXYGEN new vers.,
Alesis Q49,
Alesis QX49,
Behringer UMX490
and they all worked (they had the power from Kronos and they have MIDI data comunication with Kronos), all but Novation Impulse 49????? Impulse recieve only Power supply via USB????
Before I bought Impulse, I received a written confirmation from Novation support that their Impulse series controllers are MIDI compliant and to assure me that everything will work alongside their help with little of setup.
Unfortunately, when I explained the problem and they were confused why only the Korg Kronos does not work with Novation Impulse as a MIDI compliant controller but runs very well on iPad, PC, Mac Pro, just plug and play .... ???
They dont have Kornos at their office to check this but they check with iPad, PC and MacPro.
Their explanation is that the problem is in the Korg because only he don't recognizes the Impulse controller. Just give the Power supply by USB. But MIDI....NOT??????

Who is in this case right?? Novation or Korg ? ? ?

Again: what is the problem, exactly? Unless I am mistaken, so far the only description we have is that it does not work, which unfortunately is not sufficient information to be able to suggest a solution. Please be as specific as possible. Thanks, Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
miljantoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ok,

When I connect USB Cable from Kronos to Impulse 49, novation is turning on, and when I pres key on Novation There is NO Sound from Kronos, and it has to be because we talk about MIDI COMPLIANT controller.
That is Problem Very Happy

That's why I must beside USB cable , connect classic MIDI 5pin cable and then I can hear Kronos sounds by pressing Novation keys
but that is not a point.

I really dont know how else I can explain . It is obvious that Novation and Korg have conflict in MIDI Compliant connections
danatkorg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miljantoto wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Ok,

When I connect USB Cable from Kronos to Impulse 49, novation is turning on, and when I pres key on Novation There is NO Sound from Kronos, and it has to be because we talk about MIDI COMPLIANT controller.
That is Problem Very Happy

That's why I must beside USB cable , connect classic MIDI 5pin cable and then I can hear Kronos sounds by pressing Novation keys
but that is not a point.

I really dont know how else I can explain . It is obvious that Novation and Korg have conflict in MIDI Compliant connections

Actually, it's not obvious yet; there are many more details to provide.
Here are some things to check:
1. On which MIDI channel is the Impulse 49 transmitting (note that this is settable for each Template)? Does it match the KRONOS's global MIDI channel? Probably so, since you mention that 5-pin MIDI works, but it's good to confirm.
1a. In the Template, is "KbdZones" on? If so, turn it off for simpler troubleshooting.
2. What is the "Midi Port" setting for the current Template? This can be set to USB, MIDI, or All. This can also apparently be over-ridden by buttons, as programmed within the Template.
3. Does the "Computer Connected icon" appear on the Impulse 49's LCD?
4. Does this particular Impulse 49 work properly with another system (e.g. a computer) via USB?
5. Does the Impulse 49 appear to be working properly otherwise? When connected to the KRONOS via USB, can you select Templates, see the "Active Control" indications, configure controls, etc.?

Those are some questions to get started, anyway.
miljantoto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the answers:
1. On which MIDI channel is the Impulse 49 transmitting (note that this is settable for each Template)? Does it match the KRONOS's global MIDI channel? Probably so, since you mention that 5-pin MIDI works, but it's good to confirm.
MIDI Ch1
1a. In the Template, is "KbdZones" on? If so, turn it off for simpler troubleshooting.
Kbd Zones are "off" by Novation factory default
2. What is the "Midi Port" setting for the current Template? This can be set to USB, MIDI, or All. This can also apparently be over-ridden by buttons, as programmed within the Template.
Temple Edit - Keyboard is "MIDI Port All" default (I've tried to move to MIDI then USB but nothing)
There is not such message on Novation Screen
4. Does this particular Impulse 49 work properly with another system (e.g. a computer) via USB?
YES, everything is Fine, with PC and with my Notebook, only USB cable
5. Does the Impulse 49 appear to be working properly otherwise? When connected to the KRONOS via USB, can you select Templates, see the "Active Control" indications, configure controls, etc.? Confused
YES, everything is in function propertly. I can edit template and controlls and save them, without problem
danatkorg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miljantoto wrote:

There is not such message on Novation Screen

I had thought this might indicate connection to a class-compliant host, but on further reading it appears that it is more related to AutoMap, so it wouldn't be expected to appear.

The fact that the rest of the system appears to work okay implies that it is receiving enough power from the Kronos.

Each template has a setting for MIDI clock source, used for the Impulse's arpeggiator. As a troubleshooting step, try setting this to "Mid" and saving the template.

While I am not aware of any issues with hot-plugging, as a troubleshooting step you might try plugging in the Impulse before starting up the Kronos.
miljantoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried that, but no help.
Only Kronos doesn't recognize MIDI message from Novation Impulse by USB cable.
I hope someone will have same problem and maby someone will find solution Confused
MarPabl
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miljantoto wrote:
I've tried that, but no help.
Only Kronos doesn't recognize MIDI message from Novation Impulse by USB cable.
I hope someone will have same problem and maby someone will find solution Confused

This problem has been discussed before, and it's confirmed Novation Impulse is not class compliant. So it won't work. This is Novation's fault.

- Help needed:Using Novation Impuls control Kronos with USB
- Connect Novation Impulse to Kronos

I also think is a good idea to add a sticky post similar to this one:
USB Controllers confirmed to work.

Where we can put which controllers won't work.
miljantoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see now.
Unfortunately Novation Support insist that it is not a problem with them and they won't to test their controller with the Kronos but always give an example of how with the iPad does everything normally???,but the iPad is not only one device that is compatible with Class Compliant Controller ......they are have to test all the devices on the market which includes Korg Kronos but it seems that their poor awareness of advances in workstation, where the Korg gone much further than any of them suspected, because that there is this situation that their device is partially Class compliant, and I was persuaded to freely buy Impulse 49 as will certainly work with the Kronos, which is very unprofessional on their part, because they are not tested on enough devices to start with the sale. Thus, they don't want to do one a new firmware obviously because they don't want to know if any of the customer has a problem or not, now that I've spent money.
But I must say, Impulse 49 is GREAT beside this
I'm sorry, because apart from Impulse 49 USB MIDI class-compliant issues everything else done superbly well and they Novation have done a great job in everything was perfect except .... Class Comliant
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same as with Internet Explorer - it doesn't perfectly adhere to the agreed upon web programming standards, but it's so widely used still that many people program for it, and if it works on there they claim they wrote good code. Novation claims that since their product works with the iPad, it must be class compliant, even though it isn't.
miljantoto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,
So true Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: