Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Workstation vs soft synth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Workstation vs soft synth Reply with quote

I have read the arguments about this before but now that I am just a couple months from finally getting a keyboard synth workstation something, I find I am on the fence. Pianos, organs and layout for me goes to the nord stage 2, pianos, synths of all sorts the bells and whistles hands down goes to Kronos. I now find myself needi g a new computer so the idea of soft synths has resurfaced. I run macs and will upgrade to another Mac. I plan on buying maschine but really want organs and piano and the ability to tweak and creat synth sounds. There is so much out there and so many choices I find myself getting overloaded. So to make a long entrance to a question short and knowing I will hardly ever move whatever set up I choose just what can hardware do that soft synths can't or vice a versa. My hardware choices are above two vastly different boards with my scales leaning towards the Kronos because of all the feast it has to offer but knowing I will soon upgrade to a new Mac maybe I should consider soft synths also? Maschine and omnisphere seems like a big bit to me along with the more of NI soft synths maybe. I am truly confused. I see all sorts of possibilities with any of the options. All we have currently is an old 120$ Yamaha so any of these will blow it away. Anyone have any last minute comments to finish swaying me one way or another? Thanks Bertotti
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add I have it in my head I have to have 88 keys great for piano. I will add a controller for synth stuff.
Yoa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference between softsynths and hardware is that with hardware, you have minimal MIDI connectivity, whereas softsynths are usually infinite.

Also, with softsynths, it usually takes a lot of them to get all the sounds you want unless you get a really good one, and they all really need some sort of DAW to work effectively. This would all also add up to needing a more powerful computer. A computer is almost guaranteed to lag and studder just because it's running so much more than just music stuff.

With a hardware workstation, you have it all in one place: every sound you need, ability to create new sounds, built-in DAW, and of course the onboard computer is more than capable of running what it needs -- but just barely. If you max out doing everything a Kronos can do, it might lag a bit at times, but I doubt it.

If you're used to softsynths, try a workstation and figure it out. If you've never used either, the workstation is the best choice.

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks! I have logic express but no weighed keyboard. Only soft synths I have tried are what ever loops were in logic, not sure that counts, and some Iapps. Still a big decision to make. Not easy when there is neither of the boards I am interested in around here to take a look at. Thanks again for the perspective! Later Bertotti
Yoa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can't try anything and aren't used to weighted keys, you may want to go the softsynth route. That said, it's pretty easy to learn how to play weighted keys. I play everything from capacitive strips to ribbons, nano keys to microkeys, non-weighted to semi-weighted, and fully weighted. Yes, each is very different, but I can switch between them all pretty easily. It really depends on you and your performance as a player.

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am shooting for weighted because my kids are 6 and 7 and I want them to learn on a weighted board. I wish I had my grandmothers old upright grand, sadly it is long gone like her.

I keep flip flopping between the Nord NS2 and Kronos. I am trying to hold off ordering until after Musikmeese but that is easier said then done. A couple years waiting so my patience is running thin!

I am looking at omnisphere though because I do like what I hear from it. I have thought about komete but not any time soon. I kicked around abandoning the kronos or NS2 and chasing both and the newer Roland A88 and A49. I thought that would be a versatile beginning but mya book pro is from 2006 and the Mac mini is from 2010. The mini could probably handle it fine if I installed max ram and an ssd. Music would be its only use but the tactile joy of the NS2 and Kronos , I think I would miss even though I have never had it! Odd, I know, but this should t be this hard of a choice.

What I know is the pianos of either sound good bit for me the nod goes to the NS2 same for organs. The synth and workstation aspects and all the bells and whistles goes to the Kronos of course. Since I want 88 keys the Keybed issue really holds me back. It is a big investment and I don't want to be one of those needing multiple service trips for it. Sadly if I would have never seen the Kronos forum I would have probably had the Kronos last year. I digress and truly appreciate your input! Thanks!
Yoa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get the Kronos over the NS2, not only because half of my studio is KORG but because the Nord, though sounding incredible, isn't as easy to use nor as intuitive. If you're going to spend that kind of cash, you'd want to be absolutely sure, and with the Kronos that's a guarantee. The Nord might be a disappointment. Just speaking from experience playing both.

Omnisphere is cool, but compare its specs to a workstation. It's cheaper, yes, but you get what you pay for. Also, with using an external controller, you always have the possibility of the controller not working with your machine. The thing with getting a computer, even if you only use it for music, is that it's running the OS, the background programs for stuff to run, the drivers, and of course there's a million things that can go wrong despite having incredible specs. But, it can also do more than music. This is a very big decision, I'd say; it makes sense to question it so much.

The Kronos has incredible pianos (PCM sampled from a ton of different real pianos) but the organs I admit go to Nord. Nord kinda does organs Smile The Kronos' 88-key version is a dream to play -- I'm not kidding, it literally plays itself, like a beautifully aged Strat. I've no experience with the Nord NS2 88-key, but I do know it's a fair bit more expensive ($1,000 or so), which is always a factor for me. Korg's new keybed is very nice, and I've not heard many complaints of the keybed needing repair. But, of course, there's a million factors going into how long a keybed will last.

Given your needs and inability to go out and try the two, I'd say go with the Kronos. Yes, I'm a Korg person, but I'm also pretty familiar with other brands and can pretty easily tell you the Kronos is top of the line. And, with no real competition in that market, the Kronos will remain a viable workstation for years.

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point I will try and save for both. I know if Morg came out with a new workstation right after I buy a Kronos I wouldn't be upset but if Nord came out with the new stage within a year or so I would be upset. I found a place to try the Nord but I will have to wait until I get to where I grew up, wife's nephew has them at the music store he works at. I know which Pianos I would like to have in a Nord and it is just a bit to slim on memory for my top Five choices. So this year it appears Kronos is winning my choice. I will make sure that they store will give me a full refund if I have any issues shortly after though. I don't expect any but there are enough problems that it is a possibility. Should it happen I can switch to the nord. 3999 vs 41999 for 88 keys. He'll with he Kronos capabilities I could very well be able to tweak what I want out of it an decide not to chase a Nord, hey it could happen. Lol

Thanks for the help!
Yoa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, glad to help! If you have any questions, there's a dedicated Kronos subforum here Smile have fun!

Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I have been in there. I don't like posting to much until a keyboard is in hand. If I finally decide on Kronos I can order at the end of the month but if I swing nord I will wait until after Musikmeese. I have thought or trying for a 61 key kronos and adding the Nord 88 key NS2 in a year or so. I think that would be a good combination.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up, my mom and pop made me a incredible deal on a Roland 301rw. I loved this Keybed it was very similar to an old upright grand my Grandmother had. I remember hers being a bit heavier but in truth I was only 10 or so and my hands and fingers now are a lot stronger so I imagine this is a very close match to that piano back then. I still haven't ruled out a Kronos but now I have a Keybed I love and don't have to ago I e over even the slimmest chance of a bad kronos bed because now I can focus on a synth action instead and the end cost will only be a couple hindered more. The other plus is I can midi the Mronos to it and when I travel the Kronos acan come with me and my kids will still have a board to play on. I intend to get them started on piano lessons this year! Probably more then you guys wanted to read but I am quite excited for this work around and my Kronos anxiety is gone! It's all good! Thanks for the help hope I didn't bore you all to much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: