Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

record program changes in sequencer mode?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrees

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: record program changes in sequencer mode? Reply with quote

I'd like to use my microstation to change patches on an external device while playing back a sequence. What would be the best way to do that?

I was thinking that if I could record a program change on an empty track, that program change could be sent out to the external device, but I can't find any documentation about recording program changes in a sequence or even changing programs in the middle of a sequence.

Any ideas?
Actionman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: record program changes in sequencer mode? Reply with quote

wrees wrote:
I'd like to use my microstation to change patches on an external device while playing back a sequence. What would be the best way to do that?

I was thinking that if I could record a program change on an empty track, that program change could be sent out to the external device, but I can't find any documentation about recording program changes in a sequence or even changing programs in the middle of a sequence.

Any ideas?

After many hours I figured it out.
I used track 16 for my program changes.
Basically you have to record the changes in real time from your external source.
I'm a guitar player so I'm using my podxt to send the program changes.
Track 16 is setup to accept program changes and because my podxt is set to midi channel 1, I set the track to midi channel 1.
I also set the bus to off.
Next I started my sequence in record mode
When I got to a part in my sequence that I wanted a program change on my podxt
I clicked on the program I wanted it to change to and continued through the sequence.
When I played back the sequence, my pod was changing programs exactly when I recorded them. Smile

Good luck
wrees

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great answer! And very clear instructions. Thanks for taking the time to help with this!
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you download the PDF parameter guide off Korg's website, look at page 174 of the file (on the bottom corner, it will say 166). It will show that there's an option in the MIDI / OSC section that allows you select any track to external, and you'll want to choose EXT 2. From there you can set up the patch change numbers, which are two sets of numbers (Bank Select MSB and LSB) that should trigger patch changes on external gear any time you select that song from the sequencer. These numbers will vary depending on the external device you are using, so you'll have to experiment or download the MIDI guide.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Actionman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrees wrote:
Great answer! And very clear instructions. Thanks for taking the time to help with this!

Very welcome
I felt your pain and had to share my experience.
It's so frustrating when you feel creative only to be held technically hostage...lol
The manuals are cryptic to say the least.
Actionman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-Member wrote:
If you download the PDF parameter guide off Korg's website, look at page 174 of the file (on the bottom corner, it will say 166). It will show that there's an option in the MIDI / OSC section that allows you select any track to external, and you'll want to choose EXT 2. From there you can set up the patch change numbers, which are two sets of numbers (Bank Select MSB and LSB) that should trigger patch changes on external gear any time you select that song from the sequencer. These numbers will vary depending on the external device you are using, so you'll have to experiment or download the MIDI guide.

Does this allow you to specify CC anywhere and as many times as needed edited directly on the microstation?
I think some testing is in order.
Thanks man
wrees

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I know I'm a total traitor, but for various reasons I returned the microstation and got a Krome. The Krome lets you enter program changes wherever you want in the sequence, so it's totally straightforward to do this.

I plan on using it to change patches on my Rocktron xpressionman and TC-Helicon VoiceLivePlay. Should be slick.
Actionman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrees wrote:
For the record, I know I'm a total traitor, but for various reasons I returned the microstation and got a Krome. The Krome lets you enter program changes wherever you want in the sequence, so it's totally straightforward to do this.

I plan on using it to change patches on my Rocktron xpressionman and TC-Helicon VoiceLivePlay. Should be slick.

DAMN YOU!
LOL
All good man...enjoy your new toy Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: