Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still problems with Combi mode and external MIDI.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Still problems with Combi mode and external MIDI. Reply with quote

Hi! Has anyone experienced similar problems then me?

I have connected different devices (Moog Little Phatty, iPad synths, Yamaha QY-100, Macbook Pro) and all have problems with hanging notes on different MIDI channels.
I use a Combi with multiple split zones. Every zone has itīs own MIDI channel. The external devices are connected via standard 5-pin MIDI cable. (Only Kronos OUT to external device IN.)

I always(!) get hanging notes on my external devices via MIDI OUT. Only connections over USB work properly.

If I mute all timbres in my Combi I still get sporadic note off events!
The keyboard always sends on the global channel.

The consequence is:
I cannot use my Ipad because of
A) hanging notes over MIDI or
B) audio clipping over USB with most synth APPs. (On iPad 1. Maybe no problems with iPad>1?) Sad

I cannot use my Little Phatty with my Kronos because of
A) hanging Notes over MIDI or
B) USB not possible because of wrong port. (Kronos and Phatty want to be slave to a Computer but not each other)

Itīs a bloody mess. Evil or Very Mad

Does no other use external equipment via old MIDI cables?
What do you experience with USB and MIDI connections?
|'|'||'|'|'||'|'| / Physis Piano H1 / Roland Fantom G6 + ARX-01 & 02 / M3 61 & EXB-Radias & 256 MB / Arturia vCollection 3 / KLC / Minimonsta / Kawai K5000 S + R / Moog Little Phatty Stage II / Novation Ultranova / Roland JX-305 / TE OP-1 / iPad & microKey 25 & iODock. / Yamaha Rm1x & QY100 / Logic 9 & Mainstage |'|'||'|'|'||'|'|
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Saxifraga

I use the Kronos frequently in combination with an arranger over Midi Out, and experiencely no problems at all. I only use 1 Midi channel at a time however, and with a short 1.5 m conventional Midi cable.

Have you tried to reduce your setup to 1 Midi channel at a time only and then see if the problem is still there?

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
alanjpearson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Still problems with Combi mode and external MIDI. Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
Hi! Has anyone experienced similar problems then me?

I have connected different devices (Moog Little Phatty, iPad synths, Yamaha QY-100, Macbook Pro) and all have problems with hanging notes on different MIDI channels.
I use a Combi with multiple split zones. Every zone has itīs own MIDI channel. The external devices are connected via standard 5-pin MIDI cable. (Only Kronos OUT to external device IN.)

I always(!) get hanging notes on my external devices via MIDI OUT. Only connections over USB work properly.

If I mute all timbres in my Combi I still get sporadic note off events!
The keyboard always sends on the global channel.

The consequence is:
B) audio clipping over USB with most synth APPs. (On iPad 1. Maybe no problems with iPad>1?) Sad

I cannot use my Little Phatty with my Kronos because of
A) hanging Notes over MIDI or
B) USB not possible because of wrong port. (Kronos and Phatty want to be slave to a Computer but not each other)

Itīs a bloody mess. Evil or Very Mad

Does no other use external equipment via old MIDI cables?
What do you experience with USB and MIDI connections?

I have a standard MIDI cable setup with a Fantom XR amd still get hanging notes.
I managed to minimise it by going into the Kronos MIDI setup for each combi and minimising the data sent to the XR.
It still occurs occasionally and often seems to occur when switching patches/combis,

www.losendos.co.uk
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Still problems with Combi mode and external MIDI. Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
The consequence is:

i don't think that an ipad 1 has anything to do with this but i can test this for you since i use an Ipad 1 and an Ipad 3 in the studio, so i can compare this if i know what you use, so which synth apps are giving problems in your case?

I use the ipads a lot in the studio and experience no problems whatsover. The only apps that i have that doesn't work correctly are: sunrizer and ppg wave generator.

Hanging notes on the ipad doesn't occur, but i'm using the usb connector, so maybe that's a difference with your setup.

For sequencing i use two programs on the ipad:
- Genome (step sequencer)
- TNR-I (tenori-on)
both work flawlessly in the kronos combi mode on an ipad 3.

Now i think of it, i had troubles in the past on an ipad 1 with midi and hanging notes, but this was easy to solve by doing a real powercycle on the ipad. After that the problems were gone. You can do a real powercycle by pressing the on/off button and the round button beneath your display together for 10 seconds. Then the ipad completely shuts off and when you start it up again it clears it cache. Everything you have installed is still there, so it's a save proces to do.
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers. I very much appreciate that. Smile
@alanjpearson: Good to see I am not the only one having that problem.
@AdDeRoo: Yes, I did that. Only one device over one short MIDI cable.
@QuiRobinez: I rebooted (powercycle?) my iPad multiple times but it does not help. No APP really works as expected via MIDI(iODock) and USB(camera connection set). There are always hanging notes or clipping. Itīs esp. worse if a sound is monophonic and glide is activated. And I get a very long latency btw. Maybe my Phatty and iPad are just not fast enough to proecess those MIDI messages and mix them up?

I uploaded a short video to youtube showing my Kronos/Phatty problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8gIapj6CSg

I also tested my Little Phatty with my old Yamaha CBX-K1XG.
The Yamaha and Moog keyboards are working flawlessly together, regardless of MIDI channel and CC#s. I used CC#11 to modulate the OSC#2 detuning and my Moog reacted perfectly.

It is worthy to note that If I am in Global mode (Kronos) and set local control to OFF and play my Phatty it works very well. The moment I set local control to ON and go into Combi mode it breaks down.

The problem seems to be the Kronos sending on two or multiple channels (local control channel from Global MIDI page and Multi EXT channel) the same note at the same time. I don't understand why the Global channel cannot be deactivated in Multi mode for the EXT split zone!?
When I build a Multi, I donīt want to broadcast all notes on the global channel to all connected instruments and computers.

So Korg never intended to use Combi mode for use with external devices? Then why do we have EXT and EXT2 possibilities?
Or do I misunderstand the design of Korgs Multi mode?

It seems I need an external MIDI filter(patchbay) to get rid of all MIDI messages that are broadcast by the Kronos that are not intended for that specific Instrument.

Never had such problems with any other workstation.
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand Korgs manual correct, then this is a feature not a bug. They want it to send on multiple channels. If you layer 16 sounds and route it through 16 Midi devices each with a different number it should work of course. It's not against the Midi specification, but was intended to be the normal method. That's why we have this Midi thru outputs on most keyboards from the 90ties.
So what is different with M3 and Kronos that all my other gear does not like it? It seems the Kronos is 'only' able to work as a soundmodule not as a masterkeyboard. Which makes the title workstation meaningless.
So it's still a suberb synth but not the center of my setup.
I have to use my MacBook and go thru Logic or Mainstage.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From time to time I have experienced this also. The next time this happens try pressing the sustain pedal and see if that releases the hanging note? I have no idea what this has to do with it but it usually works…
KingJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got a MIDI loop somewhere. You might want to check your MIDI connections.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry that you're having difficulties. I did a little searching, and noticed this similar message:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12430

And then I found this:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11375&hilit=usb+firmware&start=75#p93748

It appears that there have been known problems with stuck notes on the Little Phatty, due to problems with its handling of MIDI clock and Active Sense messages. It also sounds like the latest moog firmware may solve the problems (apparently this is the "USB firmware," separate from the main OS firmware); contact moog for details.

As a test, you could try setting the KRONOS MIDI Clock (on the Global -> MIDI page) to External MIDI or External USB; this should stop the transmission of clock messages. If you are using a computer-based MIDI interface as a hub, you may also be able to filter both clock and Active Sense messages there.

Hope this helps - let us know what you find out from moog.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hanging notes on my Voyager which was due to a firmware issue (according to Moog). I never tried with external midi but I got it usually from thick slides on its own keyboard. They fixed it under warranty and it has never been an issue again. This is NOT the same as an OS update (which I did as soon as I got the device), it needs opening up the unit and a special J-link connector and whatnot. It was a Voyager, not a Phatty, but it's still worth checking with Moog, I say.
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much!

It's nice you are still willing to help me, esp. Dan. Thx! Very Happy

I think I have the recent version of Phatty OS, but will look into this again tomorrow.
It's near witching hour here in Germany.

Have a good evening, night, morning you all.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I played both my Little Phatty (Tribute Edition, latest OS) and Voyager (latest OS) from my Kronos 73 a while ago, I got the same problem with hanging notes.
I never bothered, because I normally play synth stuff from my second tier Access TI keyboard anyway.

But it would be nice to be able to use the Kronos as masterkeyboard for both Moogs as well, just in case of playing live, e.g. just with a Kronos and the Voyager RME.

I will try to check this once more casually.

Last edited by jimknopf on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
When I played both my Little Phatty (Tribute Edition, latest OS) and Voayager (latest OS) from the Kronos, I got the same problems.
I never bothered, because I play synth stuff from my second tier Access TI keyboard anyway.

But it would be nice to be able to use the Kronos as masterkeyboard for both as well, just in case of playing live, e.g. just with a Kronos and the Voyager RME.

I will try to check this once more casually.

If I understand correctly, there are two separate firmware updates for the Little Phatty (and perhaps the Voyager as well): the main OS, and the "USB firmware" which, among other things, handles MIDI from the 5-pin DIN inputs. It sounds like it would be possible to have the latest OS, but an older version of the USB firmware. Worth checking.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tribute edition LP does not have USB Wink - so no usb firmware update.
Just midi ins and outs.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
My tribute edition LP does not have USB Wink - so no usb firmware update.
Just midi ins and outs.

I've also seen mention of separate firmware for the keyboard scanner. It sounds like there have been many discussions on the moog forums about stuck notes with MIDI input, including responses from moog engineers. If you're having problems with this, I'd suggest contacting moog; from all that I hear, they have great support and I'm sure they'll work to help you out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: