Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple of Q's about microstation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syst3mGlitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Couple of Q's about microstation Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I just found this Forum and I have been searching through the posts but couldn't find anything specificially related,

soo..

with the microstation is it possible to:

1) transfer a song I've been working on from the on board sequencer into a daw, then carry on working on it from the daw? and vice versa..

2) hook up the Microstation to use VST's but incorporate the vst instrument into the on board sequencer?

Thanks, and I hope to be spending lots of time in here:)

I have an X50 which I never really use for some reason, but wanted something I just could just throw quick song ideas onto, so just bought a micro station used which hopefully be here in couple of days. from looking at youtube vids they sound amazing

M
YorkshireLakeside

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have saved the sequencer to a .MID which is fine for loading into the Korg, but really rubbish when trying to import into Cubase or Garageband. This is why I think Korg should allow the VST to edit the sequencer on a PC as yet again the midi files created are not compatible. If someone could enlighten more then that would be fab.

I have in the past, recorded each midi channel into the DAW - but yet again it is rubbish and should not be like this!!!
Put the KM into SEQ mode and use the midi channels to play back to the relevant instrument. I haven't found anything to turn the ARPs on/off with midi - Contact Korg and annoy them to do something about it.

Korg needs a big kick to get these little things sorted out.

PS: I looked at the X50 at the same time as the KM - How does it compare sound wise? Too costly for me and if it has similar problems like the KM then I'm glad I didn't pay the extra.
Syst3mGlitch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi YorkshireLakeside..

and wow, heh 2 of the most userful features, or so you would think on the synth I thought korg would of been all over it.. as it seems logical to be able to just dump a seqeunce etc into a daw and vice versa, and use VST on the sequencer, that would make a truly awesome keyboard. hmm.. I will explore what you wrote and see where it leads me.. but it sounds like it could be a bit of a nightmare..

And well.. the X50 is a great synth but the soundset is just not my cup of tea, I think if your more into producing hip hoppy, dancy stuff then it's probably perfect and very lightweight with the handles so easy to transport too.. but it's just not the sounds I'm after..I've never really used it

I'm actually wanting to swap it with sommeone for an older more analogue sounding syth or something along the lines of a used Z1 or Wavestation.. just so I can have some of the type of sounds I Want.

M
YorkshireLakeside

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had my time again I think I might just buy VSTi's - some really nice sounding ones - none of the midi linking hassle... just fed up with it at the moment not working... so disappointing - hopefully I will get a breakthrough soon.

I will let the forum know if I come across anything.

Cheers.
Syst3mGlitch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I Hear ya.. all the headachy technical nightmare can often suck some of the passion out of it, seems soo...

I'm toying with the idea of just using Omnisphere or something like that, but I prefer hardware really, and I think there is a certain depth in the sound of the hardware, I don't know havn't quite worked it out yet.. but some kind of difference in VST version Vs Hardware.. hmm..

I know what you mean about all the hassle though.. that's why I bought a MS so I can just literally switch it on and throw ideas together without having to load or hook up anything else etc.

I'm thinking of putting a post now to swap my x50 or sell it, but trying to find the shop first as I think it might still be under warranty too so could part ex it..

hmmm. off to check out some video demos I think
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Couple of Q's about microstation Reply with quote

1) transfer a song I've been working on from the on board sequencer into a daw, then carry on working on it from the daw? and vice versa..

By transferring a "song," do you mean MIDI data or actual audio from the synthesizer? There's a huge difference between the two and how it should be set up.

2) hook up the Microstation to use VST's but incorporate the vst instrument into the on board sequencer?

Create a MIDI track in your DAW and drop in any VST instrument of your choice, then set the MIDI track to the appropriate MIDI channel to read the MIDI data coming from the MS.

Honestly, it's not as complicated as most people make it out to be. A large portion of the confusion comes with the DAW settings, not the instrument.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
YorkshireLakeside

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it shouldn't be as hard as you think...

I remember back in the early 90's linking my ATARI STE to a YAMAHA keyboard via midi and using Cakewalk... I had no problems what so ever - lol

My question is - What was the 3 demo songs created with?
I've not found any DAW that can read the files from the SD card and play like for like - I would have expected a plugin from Korg to do this sort of stuff... ie: turning ARPs on/off and storing/change effects etc.

Quote:
Honestly, it's not as complicated as most people make it out to be. A large portion of the confusion comes with the DAW settings, not the instrument.

I'm a newbie using synths and want to learn (and I always want to help others; that is why I'm here!!) - This quote of yours made me laugh (in a nice way) as it is something like I got from Korg Support recently. Very protective and dont blame the instrument... blame everything else but it's all a big secret and you have to work very hard to get your own answers!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: