Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is my Trinity a Trinity Plus?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aragorn777

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Is my Trinity a Trinity Plus? Reply with quote

Hi all

Last week i get a Korg Trinity from Ebay. In general it's in great condition and looks as everything is OK.

Only thing i am dissapointed is that the sticker that comes near the Switch on button shows "Model: TrinityPlus" but when i play it starts with the logo "Korg Trinity" and OS 2.0, and only Banks A & B are active (nor S bank).

Can you tell me something?
dholmes40

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trinity Plus has the S bank. I'm not sure what OS comes with it. Did the ebay description mention it was a Trinity Plus? If it did, I'd write the seller. If not, then the sticker is incorrect. Sad
Korg MicroSampler

RIP = Wavestation EX, X3
Aragorn777

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how could be possible?

The silver sticker has no signs of being removed o altered. I don't know if update to OS 241. i am now in OS 20

Advantages?

Thanks for your help
DCPete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aragorn777 wrote:
But how could be possible?

The silver sticker has no signs of being removed o altered. I don't know if update to OS 241. i am now in OS 20

Advantages?

Thanks for your help

Have a look inside if you dare. I have a V3 with Moss board & the board is a separate attachment...I assume the Solo board that comes in the PLUS model is a separate too? A Trinity without the expansions is merely a Trinity (sticker or not).

If the board however has been fitted/removed then refitted, it may need the OS update to register. I took the Moss outta my V3 (as it was getting tempremental) bought a vanilla Trinity & put the Moss board & bracket in. Voila...a fresh V3 I thought...er No...not so simple as I had to OS update to 3.2.? whatever for it to recognize it. A simple task but was easier when PC's had floppy drives etc...

If however no board...you've bought a Trinity. Check the listing again...if sold as a Trinity...that's what you have now (minus the solo board that's been removed).

Current Gear:- KORG TRINITY V3 ~ KORG 01/Wfd ~ TRITON Classic ~ TRITON Pro X ~ KORG X2 ~ KORG WAVESTATION ~ KORG M50 ~ KORG TRITON EXTREME 76

Past Gear:- KORG M1 ~ KORG X5D ~ KORG TRINITY ~ KORG 01/Wpro ~ KORG X3 ~ KORG N364 ~ KORG TRITON Le ~ KORG TR-Rack ~ KORG TRITON Rack
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you switch to program mode? Because the Trinity boots to combi mode, and in that one there's no S bank - only in program mode. 2.0 is fine, 2.4.1 is better. I believe there's a document on the internet about the differences, my experience has been better response times with the higher version.
samriccijr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aragorn777:

Unscrew the bottom plate from the Trinity.

Look for the Board on the left of the picture. It has the long chip in the middle.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43325&start=15

If the wider ribbon cable is not there, you do not have a Solo Board.

The board might be hidden under the SCSI or HDR board if those are installed....

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43325&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have a spare Solo-Tri board and a homemade "mounting bracket" if you are interested. Please email privately.

Thanks, Sam
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solo board is harder to see unless you see the cable. the solo board resides under the long board with the midi in and outs and other ins and outs. but if you see a board under that with a grey ribbon connecting to the main board, its in there. you will neeed OS 2.4 to install it correctly.

then you'll have banks A, B, S.

to be honesgt, i have a solo board and it sucks. i'd rather use a softsynth. there's no beef to it at all and no good presets. and programming is retarded. waste of time un;less you only want to use a couple sounds.

the other problem is using in combination. it just doesnt do well in a m ix with other stuff. i think the synth sounds of the regular patches sound better and fuller, but no portamento. but the solo sucks.

if you paid for a plus tho theres a problem unless you got a good deal to be happy with it being a stock drs. i wouldnt worry about the moss board either. just midi it to a computer running ASIO 2 and theres 100's of free softsynths on the net that blow the trinity stuff away.

like i say tho, the normal synth patches sound better.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real way to find out if you have a Solo-TRI board is to open the Trinity up. Turn it upside down and rest it on a couple of cushions placed either end (making sure you don't put any weight on the joystick that sticks out underneath) and unscrew the backplate, very straight forward to do. Then check what you see against my photos (linked by samriccijr) to see if you have anything there. If there's no Solo or Moss board there, then a previous owner of the Trinity has either removed and sold them, or added the Trinity Plus sticker themselves.

If the Solo board is there, you can also carry out a system reset for the Trinity to detect and recognise any newly altered installed hardware if it hasn't already previously done so. You will lose all PCG sound data by doing a system reset, so make sure you save all your sounds and data to floppy disk before doing so. Then you can do a reset by holding both the ENTER and 0 (zero) buttons at the same time when you turn the Trinity on. It will recognise any new or changed hardware, and it will show the hardware expansion options you have installed on the screen when it is booting up. After this point you can reload your PCG sound data to restore your former sound patches.

Either way, you should upgrade the Trinity operating system to the latest OS v2.4.1 as it undoubtedly has bug fixes and improvements.

If, by a very miniscule chance, the owner switched the Solo board to a Moss board, you would need OS v3.1.2 for the Moss board to be 'detected' by the Trinity. But remember: OS v3.1.2 wont detect a Solo board, and OS v2.4.1 wont detect a Moss board. You need the correct related OS for Solo or Moss accordingly.

Contrary to SpaceCowboy, I feel the Solo actually sounds quite a bit better than the Moss for monophonic sounds, the filters on the Solo have greater bite and presence and a slightly more fluid and elastic analogesque sound. The extra onboard effects also help. The Prodigy used the Solo engine in the Korg Prophecy (identical to the Solo sound engine in the Trinity) for the 303 sound on Smack My Bitch Up, amongst others, so it can't all be bad. Wink

The Moss-TRI on the other hand loses a little of that Solo quality in order to make way for greater polyphony. A tradeoff.

In my humble opinion.
philip

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeeh, solo-tri ruuuules!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: