Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any likelyhood of a Kronos module?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Any likelyhood of a Kronos module? Reply with quote

Is there any likelyhood of Korg releasing a module version of the Kronos like they did for the M3?
xp50player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to doubt it, since the M3 was developed as a module with a keyboard included. The screen size and controls would make it huge, unless they went with a bare minimum screen like the Yamaha MX series keyboards and no controls. They could scale down to 1U with a netbook Atom motherboard and just use the editor, though you would lose some of the system functions that the editor does not do. I would still include bypass buttons for Karma, IFX,TFX,MFX,DrumTrack, and small vector pad like the cursor button on the Wavestation SR.
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope not. What would be the point in producing an atom PC with a bad OS and no real touch interface?
Use an iPad with iMS20 and iPolysix and a Macmini with NI software and KLC for the rest.

Kronos is a Karma station for playing live. Without keybed and controls it´s superfluous.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxifraga wrote:
I hope not. What would be the point in producing an atom PC with a bad OS and no real touch interface?
Use an iPad with iMS20 and iPolysix and a Macmini with NI software and KLC for the rest.

Kronos is a Karma station for playing live. Without keybed and controls it´s superfluous.

That is a poor appraisal of what Kronos offers in my opinion. The Kronos includes 7 exquisite synthesizer engines each capable of astounding results and worthy of serious consideration, a range of exquisite libraries especially the pianos, Karma technology, wave sequencing and vector synthesis - all with hardware latency.

All of these features, offered in an Integra-7 module type package and with excellent connectivity and plugin / GUI DAW support, would be an extremely inviting package to many.

I'm an OASYS owner and would relish a Kronos Module. I would not care about its physical implementation (as I do with the keyboard versions because they are for performance) so long as it had excellent connectivity and GUI support in a DAW environment.

I suspect we will not see a Kronos module - the notion of modules seems to have largely passed and Roland are taking a risk with Integra-7 for sure, most especially because although it offers jaw-dropping sonic palettes, it is hugely underpowered in the DSP department at only 128 notes and offers outrageously poor I/O connectivity.

Indeed, it regularly surprises me how synthesizer companies go most of the way to developing something outrageously good but decide for whatever reasons to stop just short. That's the case with Integra and indeed my main worry would be that a Kronos Module, if developed, would end up with some similar shortfalls of the 'ideal' that would otherwise make it a killer module.

But there is, IMO, a case for a module if developed in the right way and at the right price point.

Kevin.
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would happily buy a KRONOS module..... KRONOS-m if implemented similar to M3-m.... keeping everything except the keybed and joystick...
KingJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mainly interested in the multiple synthesis types in the OASYS and Kronos. If there were a Kronos module, I would be happy with it if it just had the 9 synth engines, wave sequencing and vector synthesis, and KARMA. If it had anything else though, that would be great.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
I'm mainly interested in the multiple synthesis types in the OASYS and Kronos. If there were a Kronos module, I would be happy with it if it just had the 9 synth engines, wave sequencing and vector synthesis, and KARMA. If it had anything else though, that would be great.

Whatever you described above thats is actually the Kronos.
Corgy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:

yes ... and I would wish for a better Windows/OSx editor too. It would make up for a great expander.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make it economically viable they'd have to do two things.

1) Make it bulletproof. Roadworthy. Dropable. Faster.

2) Make it for less than a comparably equipped (soft synth suite) laptop.

As to the first. It's doable. And it is an absolute must if you're balancing the cost-benefits between a hardware module and a laptop.

Lets pick $1800 as a target street cost. Not so low that you kill the keyboard with the module, low enough that the module is attractive to those with a controller already who want the additional capabilities.

For that you could buy a pretty capable windows laptop and Komplete and have most of the things that Kronos gives you. What would be missing? Some of the interface hardware, high quality A/D converters to make the virtual analogs sound better, KARMA, and a certain level of engine integration that the module might do better with.

But computers you can make faster and more capable with upgraded added software and there's that upgrade path for software and flexibility and expandability as well.

Unless Korg plans to keep pushing at the boundaries of what a hardware module can do with a long-view eye on its lifespan - five to ten years - I don't think it will be worth it for them, and they won't do it.

They might, on the other hand, piece out the 9 engines in mini-modules. The Kronos Piano & EP's in module form would be a no-brainer, and there might also be a decent market for the Korg Classic Analogs, and Korg Digital Age Synths if the price could be reined in to under $1000 and the interface or editor/GUI was rock-solid stable and functional (64 bit and iOs friendly).

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
neomad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, Kronos is up to date, a great candidate a sound module. Reason is: sequencer can not be considered as part of system but just a poor add on. So we do have a great synthesizer with 9 engines (the best ever, without doubt) but with no real workstation capabilities = synth.

Quote:
Synthesizer companies go most of the way to developing something outrageously good but decide for whatever reasons to stop just short

IMHO, that will happen to Kronos if developpement stops right now without any sequencer improvements.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the best-of-Korg module similar to the Integra-7. It'll be a Kronos in a module w/ all samples from previous Korg romplers minus a sequencer and KARMA. It could be priced at $1,999. I'll buy it in a heartbeat.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like everything else, Korg has to make great margin and solid sales to make it worth the effort.

They know the potential on this.

For example , if there are only 100 potential sales , its not worth the trouble.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of what the Kronos is about is controllers. wouldn't really make much sense to have it set off in a rack where you wouldn't have access, and the module would have to be quite large. and I don't think there are a lot of controllers out there that have the flexibility that the Kronos has. m-audio has an older model with a lot of controllers, but it would take a lot of work to map it to everything. and it all depends on your application- live or studio?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: