Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer freezes up when turning Korg Triton ProX on

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onemidibit_geishagirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Computer freezes up when turning Korg Triton ProX on Reply with quote

Hello!

I am having issues getting my Korg Triton ProX to read the midi signals.

I have 2 boot systems (XP & Windows 7)
Soundblaster Audigy
Just installed Cubase Le

1st scenario: I have connected my Korg to the serial port of my computer. When I boot up XP; open Cubase Le then turn on the Korg, my computer freezes. As soon as I turn it off then it resumes. Why the freeze?

2nd scenario: When I boot in windows 7; open Cubase; turn on the Korg the computer is fine but no midi is reading. The midi thru is checked within the Cubase program. Why Korg not reading midi in or out?

Can someone help a beginner like me make sure my connections or settings are correct. I understand also it could be a com port conflict as well... Driver etc...

Helppppp Exclamation
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a driver problem (but can be anything in theory).
Maybe reinstall the sound card or Korg drivers and/or reinstalling cubase.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Michel, it definitely sounds like a driver problem. I take it your pc came with XP and then you upgraded it to Windows 7? I had a similar problem with my pc after I upgraded to windows 7 from Vista. My audio interface kept disconnecting for no reason. Turns out that Acer don't like you updating their PCs in any way and don't offer driver support for any OS that didn't come pre installed. Some manufacturers just seen to make your life that little bit harder.

I assume you've followed the instructions on page 112 of the manual and adjusted the settings accordingly? And also installed the Korg drivers?
Onemidibit_geishagirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Installed Driver but states the driver is not installed Reply with quote

Thank you both.
I took your advice again and reinstalled everything... The Korg midi still not recognized or keeps freezing when I turn it on while in Cubase Le or even when I boot the computer up, if the Korg is on, it wont let it go through unless I turn it off and wait for the computer to boot up.

About the driver part:
I went into add new hardware (through the XP side), added the driver (Korg MIDI Driver for Windows 2000/NT/XP PC: KMD 2000-XP.ZIP (98KB)

Then the options for the midi device settings came up (looks good)

Settings show:
Com port 1 (already checked)
Midi In /Midi Out (looks ok)
Synth (not checked)

Now, when I went to double check thru the Device Manager, it is stating that the driver is not installed.

I am sure that I have the right driver... but if not is there another one?
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't boot up my pc with the synth connected and switched on. Depending on you boot setup your pc may be trying to boot from the synth which is why it won't boot with the synth switched on.

Can I also check that you don't have any other audio program's open when you are using cubase? If you have something like iTunes or media player open then it might cause your pc to freeze.

You should be getting the driver from here http://www.korg.co.uk/support/downloads/tritonclassic_dl.php

It's quite near the bottom and it's for Korg pc-I/f midi driver.

You need kmd 2000-xp.zip.
BruceL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

macs are crap. get windows PC
Pepperpotty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BruceL wrote:
Quote:

macs are crap. get windows PC

Wow, that's the most unhelpful comment ever! Not to mention also completely off topic. We have to assume that the poster has a windows pc as they are running XP and Windows 7. They don't mention anywhere that they're using a Mac, so your Mac rant is completely uncalled for.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC freezes if you have the wrong serial cable. The cables used for Yamahas are an example for this. You can get the proper wiring and pinout diagram from some Korg docs, but unfortunately not for all that are equiped with the 'to host' terminal, if I remember correctly.

For sure you have it in the first section of the NS5R manual. Make sure you use the right cable, measure what you have or 'roll your own'.

Let us know if it cures your problem or have further issues.

Edit: found a picture for you...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that kind of interface even still supported under Windows 7? Perhaps a 20 buck USB midi interface would be a good solution?
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the driver loads, it is. Just a plain serial port. Not too bad, considering that it frees one USB port and only one cable has to be connected.

On the downside it disconnects easily and quite fragile, so not something for the road, and not galvanically isolated, as opposed to MIDI. However, it si quite decent in the studio and quite like the advantages listed above... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: