Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roland SH-1000 emulation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Roland SH-1000 emulation Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Whilst I have been a Korg user for decades my first synth was a Roland SH-1000. I have created a vsti version. Free demo at my web site

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/pryer/

Feedback and suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Stuart
e-mail stuartpryer@gmail.com
Yoa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got both the SP1000 and Bluesynth (hey, free stuff is always welcome in my studio!). Here are my thoughts.

The SP1000 sounds really good, but seems to lag a bit. Also, pretty sure this is just a demo thing, but the envelope and growl sections seem to be missing. I do like how you added more features than the original in certain areas, but it would be nice if it were laid out like the original. I also feel that the on-screen keyboard and wood-like panel could be replaced by preset switches, similar to the original.

Blue is a really neat synth, but is is a bit too easy to make it sound very harsh. Thankfully, it also settles down easily. I can't see me using this instrument a whole lot, mainly due to the tone and size (the controls are a bit small and hard to read easily), but I do like the idea of it. I also really love the individual filtering -- that can create some really awesome timbres. Not that it matters, but it's also not the prettiest synth.

All in all, I really like what you're doing!

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yoa,

I really appreciate your reply.

I have made the demo VSTi much larger now so it is easier to see on screen. The new download is on my site to download.

The lag you mention may be to do with the settings on your sound card. Are you using ASIO drivers? If so adjust the buffer size etc. The program is pretty processor intensive - I wanted to make it authentic as possible.

The growl, waw, envelope are missing as its a demo. Also the demo cant change to polyphonic - ie play more than one note at a time. Also the mixer knobs for some waves cant be adjusted because its a demo.

I tried to keep the layout similar but keeping the extra features on one screen meant a few compromomises. I could add couloured tabs but as I replaced them with mixer knobs so the tabs would be more cosmetic. I could add images though.

I kept the onscreen keyboard as the original. The wood is walnut like my original but again the space and component size meant a few compromises.

I will make the blue synth screen size bigger tonight as well. I agree I need to make the graphics more interesting. It was my first vsti so I concentrated on the code. But I may well improve the cosmetics.

Thank you for your feedback.

Stuart
stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just made blue synth vsti screen size bigger. Download on my website updated.

Note in the stand alone versions of all synths you can use the zoom command at the top of the window to increase screen size.

Cheers

Stuart
Yoa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, much better with the size, nice work!

Even my best ASIO is equal to my normal soundcard. My computer was really not designed for music, but I've gotten by for years with it. What are you using to make these? It looks like synthedit, which is naturally processor intensive.

I was going to mention polyphony, but I've little experience with a SH1000 so I wasn't sure if it was poly or mono. That would be a good addition.

Yeah, adding images or the real deal would up the look a lot!

What you could do is something where you have, on one side, all the knobs and sliders, as it is, and on the other side you have the tabs. The keyboard looks cool, sure, but I'm just thinking about how most users would use the instrument: they'd either sequence it or use a MIDI keyboard, or even their computer's keyboard.

I love testing software; it's kind of a side-hobby (if that makes sense).

Current electronic equipment: Korg Kaossilator, miniKP, microKORG, nanoKEY, nanoPAD, nanoKONTROL, monotron, Pandora PX5D, AX1000G, M-Audio Keystation 88es, Casio VL Tone, Soundcraft 102 mixer, laptop (which, among other things, has the KORG Legacy Collection and various NI stuffs), Acer Iconia a100 (has many music apps), Stylophone, Yamaha DX7
stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yoa,

I run the synth in monophonic on a cheap netbook and ASIO drivers. Im not getting ny lag - latency - issues? You could try the stand alone version to see if its your vsti host which is causing issues with it. I use cantabil lite for testing. Then Sonar for recording. Turn off reverb and vibrato which are processor intensive to start with.

The full version is polyphonic. I am happy to send you the full version for free as you have been very helpful. You can play around with it. Just tell me what email you want me to send it to.

Difficult to know how far to keep it looking authentic but to avoid clutter. Im still learning!

I like playing with software too and testing it. Very Happy

Cheers

Stuart
Yoa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I run the standalone version and it runs better! I did also fix the issues I had with my host, so everything works!

My email is theyoa01@gmail.com (I don't care if this forum has that info haha!). I can actually (try to) help you a little bit more. Firstly, if you want, I can save multiple programs for your instrument, both of the original patches and some new, original ones. They'd be in .fxp format, which does work at least in Savihost and Ableton Live. I also tried to find a way to incorporate the original's switching, but I saw you'd already figured that out and made it better with just knobs. Nice one!

However, I did have an idea for the vibrato section: I was thinking that you could ditch the on/off, mix, and predelay controls because the on/off and mix can be controlled with the depth control, and the predelay can be done externally should anyone want to use it (not saying it's useless, but it is a sort of rare effect to use). I then thought that you could have different waveforms for the vibrato, like with the tremolo section, just for interest.

Lastly, when everything is said and done, I can write and record a demo song showing off what the instrument can do and you can host it on your site.

I'll also do patches and a song for the Blue synth as well, if you'd like Smile

I used to be a video game tester. Though it included a lot of meetings and writeups, it was FUN!!

Yoa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also advertised this to my (still rather small) fan page Smile http://goo.gl/6iNWX

stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yoa,

The full version has been e-mailed to you. Hope gmail accepts the attachment.

A demo for my site would be great. Also of the Blue Synth. Will have a think about vibrato suggestions as can rewrite code. Some patches for either synth would be great too!

What a great forum!

Cheers

Stuart Very Happy
Yoa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the full version is WAY better Smile Thanks again.

I'll get to work, then!

I am but one of the 42813+ users here. I'm just doing my part. It is a great forum.

stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yoa,

I have re written the vibrato section as you suggest. Added a choice of waveforms and just provided depth and rate. It also uses less processing power. I will email you privately with the new vsti now. Let me know if this is what you had in mind.

Cheers

Stuart
Yoa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is perfect! Thank you!

stuartpryer
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have updated the images and user manual on my website following the chnages to the synth discussed above.

Cheers

Stuart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Virtual Soft Synths, and Plug’ins. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: