Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Max 2 octaves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poppe Le Pop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Max 2 octaves Reply with quote

Yes, weird situation: with some sounds (and I can't figure out the pattern) I cant play more then two octaves.

For example: I select 'Monster Lead' and press C1 and hold it. I press C2 and it will play C2, when I let go of C2 it will play C1 since I'm still holding it. All is well so far.

If I press and hold C1 and then press C3, it will play B2 (the key before C3).

If I press and hold C1 and press C4, it will still play B2.

I'm using the latest v2 firmware. Also tried the v3 firmware but that didn't change anything.

Any suggestions?

Trinity Pro.
synthjoe
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that you're transposing and running out of sampling frequency range? I think the highest that can be played is 64 kHz on the Trinity and therefore the sample frequency multiplied by 2 for each octave up from the original key should not be higher than 64 kHz. With the original program it should not be a problem, though.

Does it do the same for all keys above B2, or just C keys? If you press and hold C2 then does it still happen at C3 or only from B3 upwards? It happens only for some patches, not all of them, am I reading you correctly?

P.S.: page 6 of the parameter guide states:
Quote:
Legato
This setting will be available only if Mono is checked. If Legato is
checked, the program will be single-triggered. If Legato is not checked, the program will be multi-triggered.

If single triggering is used, there may be cases in which the correct pitch is not produced, depending on the multisample and the keyboard position.
cmaguilera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does someone know any solution for this problem?

Thanks!!
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legato bug is a known issue (limitation) with no solution and no chance of being fixed. I originally thought it might be due to pitching multisamples outside of their recommended keymapped sample regions, but a frequency limitation of the individual samples within a multisample as Synthjoe mentioned sounds a much more accurate diagnosis, reason being you can replicate the bug by trying to modulate the pitch of a sustained note beyond 2 octaves (without using legato). Some notes you can stretch a full 24 semitones without glitching. Others not so. This is seemingly dependent on where a native sample is placed in any given keymapped sample region within the multisample, and whether you are bending it up slightly already by playing above its native note/frequency within its sample region. (Actually you could probably use this technique to find out the native note(s) for samples within their respective keymapped sample regions, but I digress.)

It's a common bug (limitation) affecting many Korg Workstations, I believe including the Triton and even the M3. My original thread about it in this Trinity section has long been pruned.

If you play live it can be particularly embarassing if you're not expecting it! Best stick to 'localised' legato playing techniques rather than more extreme ones when using multisamples.

However if you have SOLO or MOSS, you can use legato on these programs without restrictions as they are algorithmic as opposed to relying on samples.
mgiac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I have the same problem on my Trinity
But I had a PBS-TRI and using additional samples (saw, square or every other waveform) mono synth with legato option sounded well on all keyboard extension, even jumping from C1 to C5

Confused
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: there is a fix i believe Reply with quote

its early in the morning and my trinity's are in storage. but i had the same problem. i found a setting in edit mode that fixed it.

i think it was in the first pages. once you find it, it will play normal. the big problem, is fixing it on every pcg you have or may load in the future. i wish i made a note of the setting. but yea, you'll be playing something on the bottom with a split, but if one covers the whole keyboard it ends up on wrong notes and sounds sick. its been a while, but i havent had the problem since.
Poppe Le Pop

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find a solution yet but have noticed this same problem on different devices (Roland XV-3080 has it also with certain patches).

Somehow I feel like I'm missing something obvious...
mgiac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody
did anyone find a solution?

I noticed a strange brhaviour: if you play first a high note and then a low one the problem doesn't exist!

Confused
jhulk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sample has an uptranspose limit and if ther are no more samples above it it will only transpose up to the klimit after that it will play the upper tranpsose tone for that sample

it also could be the multisound was programed that way and why on the m1 t1 01w some sounds will not play at the upper keys when set to 8' or 4' as there range does not go up that far

with these types of sounds usually they are set for leads or bass in the lower keys region

nothing wrong with your machine its the original programmers for the multisound that has programmed it that way

if you want it to play in the upper regions with less samples

the trinity can load sample frequency rates from the dss1 and also the compressed sample rates of the 01w

that is 16khz 24 khz 32 khz 48 khz

or the compressed versions which they tell you in the pcm upgrade manual

it will also play back pc type standard rates 22.5khz 44.1 khz the trinity

upsamples them when playing them back to 48khz

but because you are using a lower rate you can have a higher playback rate

so if you use 48khz the trinity will play that double the rate to 96khz so that it will uptranspose 1 octave higher

if you use the lower settings then you will start to add more to the uptranspose rate

44.1 will give you 1.5 octaves the 32khz will give you 2-3 octaves

i have used from 22.5 to 24khz which covers most frequency content

as most sounds dont go over the 12khz range some will be in the 16khz range and 32khz is fine for this there is not many sounds that have a 24khz frequency range so 48khz is over kill

and the lower the rate the more sample time as in the trinity as with the 01w you have a 2mb limit for all multi sounds with in that bank if any fall out side of the 2mb per bank that sample cant be used as you cant run samples across banks

8mb is not very big and you can have upto 500 samples and100 multisounds

that allows if using all sample limit 5 multi samples per multisample this is ok for single cycle waves but for acoustic or synth samples more samples are needed per key for accurate sound

the trinity is best used for pcm like the ones found in the m1 t1/2/3ex 01w and all the ai2 synths that use single cycle samples or transient samples

and its a fact you can do a lot with single cycle wavetables as the wavestation m1 t1 n series x series trinity triton ms2000 kronos all use them

the prophet vs used them its all in the programming

rolands are sampled at 32khz there transpose engines are very good but you still get the munchkin effect also there piano are looped very small and there envelopes are adsr where a piano is only a ad envelope and sustain only extends the decay part of the envelope and it is a reverse log taper and not a linear taper like most synths use
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that information. i guess the question is. is it just a patch or 2 or all patches. i would think if it were just one patch he may have said it.

this answers my question of why bass patches do max out. i get the feeling he means none of em go past 2 octaves. even a bass patch usually goes into the lead range or 4th octave.

i'm thinking he has a cut wire ir scratched trace on a circuit board somewhere. beyond that i'm clueless.
mgiac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everybody
I'm not shure that the problem was always present on my Trinity
I remember that any years ago I played solos with mono synth without problems...

another strange behaviour: if you play a high note then play a low one and any other note without leave the keyboard (i.e. legato) all is ok, even you leave the high note!

I'd like to know if the problem is hardware or software, but I have not another Trinity to test and I didn't find another one in near sales center

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: