Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Editor 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

The two most significant things missing are a 64bit version of the editor and an update making automation recording possible.

I don't want to talk you into a Kronos, but give you this feedback from my own use: I'm recording with the Kronos all the time, and in vacation I had nothing but a Kronos and a small (32bit) Tablet Notebook and hit no critical boundaries for recording except VSTi automation. The Kronos really stands any test as one-in-all solution from my view.

Good points Jim, I'd have to agree with you.
A few days ago (In a heated moment) I posted in one of the many "Version 2 editor" threads how disappointed I was with version 2, but now after a few days of fiddling around with the correct selections within the preferences window has made the editor much more usable for me.
It goes without saying how great it would be to have 64-bit and real time parameter record functionality. Of course you can run the editor in standalone mode besides your DAW in 64-bit but the hassle of the editor loosing focus and constantly showing up and hiding behind windows becomes quite a nuisance.

Recording into Ableton Live I have no problems whatsoever, but when using Logic for some reason and possibly the sysex transfer / receive seems to be quite heavy when first loading the editor causing parameters to unintentionally change or effect midi timing. It's erratic though, it usually only occurs in the beginning of the session, as I work it improves and gets more stable. I believe my preferences are set correctly but Logic can be finicky…

Even though there are certain missing features, version 2 appears to be more stable and therefore helpful.
I will work with it and tweak as I go along.. "My thank you's to SQ and K".
Chrutil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midinut wrote:
On a quick aside - wasn't there a thread a couple of months ago where a forum member had developed a beautiful editor for the AL-1 engine I seem to remember that looked awesome? I didn't have my Kronos yet so I didn't check it out. Just curious. Maybe SoundQuest or Korg should hire them?

Only half joking.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Smile
Yes I did write that AL-1 editor, and just fired it up for the first time in months - my K was out on repair and since then I've been busy with work, kids and enjoying the beautiful California summer.
I'm noticing some odd behavior in the editor, not completely syncing on program changes etc. which sometimes causes the AL-1 editor not to be able to send commands to the Kronos. Not sure if this was always there, or if something in 2.0.2 caused it.
I wasn't too keen on spending any effort on it before I saw if the official 2.0 editor obsoleted it, but I don't think it does so I figured I'll see if I could beef it up a little. Perhaps add support for some more engines, or work on a layout editor so you could roll your own engine editor - could be fun.
I would also like to add that the AL-1 editor is not intended to replace the full capabilities of the official editor, I really just wanted to see what the AL-1 synth could look like if it was a hardware synth back in the day, since that's the kind of sound programming I'm used to.
There's a link in my sig. for the download - feel free to take a look. If all goes well there should be an update soon once I have made some fixes and tested it with 2.0.2.

Thanks,
C
Korg Kronos 88 #444 /3GB, MU modular synth, PPG Wave 2.3, Modal Electronics 002, TTSH, Oberheim Two Voice Pro, Deckard's Dream, Kijimi, MatrixBrute, Access Virus KC, Ensoniq EPS, Korg Microsampler, Behringer Model D, Behringer Pro~1, Roland JP-08, Roland VP-03, Roland JD-08, Roland TR-8, Akai MPC-X, Roland TD-12 V-Drums, Fender Precision Bass, Martin Custom D Guitar, Sterling JP-60 Guitar, PRS Santana SE Guitar (signed), Logic Pro X, Pulsar P900 Series, Arturia V Collection 6 as well as various iPad & soft synths.
Download the Korg Kronos AL-1/Polysix Graphical Editor
Mystic38

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks jim,

i realise that the level of functionality of vst editors varies from a simple librarian to full on control of the synth itself... and after an eye opening experience with the Virus, my requirements are now more trending to the latter than the former....so without knowing the full details of the editors capability (and clearly being unable to test it without a K) I was hoping to see glowing whoops from users Sad

With the fantom i typically laid all tracks down as midi, preserving the ability to tweak patches for as long as possible before printing to audio so to your points, i actually are less bothered by the multi-outs/usb-audio part of it as i could easily record via spdif(2) or balanced inputs (4)..or better..justify an even bigger audio interface...lol

The word 'automation' leapt out ans spilled the coffee tho...lol ..its something i have been using at an increasing rate... both envelope generation of multiple parameters and recording thereof..

Not that there was any chance of it being read, but my post was for the decision makers who believe that in todays market a synth is finished when you can power it on and make sounds... so I shall continue to wait and see how this develops.. the combination of Fantom G, Nova, S70xs, Virus and Komplete keeps me more than occupied Smile

jimknopf wrote:
Mystic38,
the Kronos recording capabilities rely less on the editor than I originally thought. Since I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 with multiple inputs a while ago, I found out that it is quite commfortable to do Kronos multitrack recording in combination mode into any DAW in the converntional (midi and audio tracks) way. Once you have set up your templates/combis within the Kronos for recording, recall is easy and does not depend on software DAW integration. I say that while still hoping for a 64bit update and a later automation version of the VSTi to make recording even more comfortable.

With the present editor version, this even becomes a bit easier. The two most significant things missing are a 64bit version of the editor and an update making automation recording possible.

I don't want to talk you into a Kronos, but give you this feedback from my own use: I'm recording with the Kronos all the time, and in vacation I had nothing but a Kronos and a small (32bit) Tablet Notebook and hit no critical boundaries for recording except VSTi automation. The Kronos really stands any test as one-in-all solution from my view.

Korg PA4X, Nord Stage 3, Virus Ti Polar, Novation Nova II, Yamaha S70XS, MPC-X, TC Helicon Voicelive Rack, KRK VXT8 monitors, 2012 LP Standard, 1999 Am. hardtail Strat, Fender DRRI, Orange AD30HTC, Marshall Vintage Modern, 2 cans and a piece of string...
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a weird thing last night.

if I start the editor, load the saved PCG (which is the same as the factory one on my Kronos) and click on the Prog tab.

then I click on the Banks tab

If I select a random sound, say "Int A-112 Synth Lead memories" and double click on it

Then I click on the Banks tab again

Then I select say "Int-A 54 CX-3 Organ 888 SW1" but only single click on it so that the Banks window is still up

If I press the SW1 switch on my Kronos, it changes the editor and hence the Kronos to the previously selected Int A-112 Synth Lead memories" patch

It's weird as it's not repeatable every time, but quite often if I press a switch or move sliders on the actual Kronos when demoing sounds from the Banks tab on the editor, the program does change
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is normal operation for the editor.A single click sends the program to the instrument to "audition" the sound. The assumption is you are not going to edit the data. Attempting to edit data will bring back the sound in the edit buffer. Double clicking sends the program to the instrument and puts it in the edit buffer for further editing.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojustaboo wrote:
I noticed a weird thing last night.

if I start the editor, load the saved PCG (which is the same as the factory one on my Kronos) and click on the Prog tab.

then I click on the Banks tab

If I select a random sound, say "Int A-112 Synth Lead memories" and double click on it

Then I click on the Banks tab again

Then I select say "Int-A 54 CX-3 Organ 888 SW1" but only single click on it so that the Banks window is still up

If I press the SW1 switch on my Kronos, it changes the editor and hence the Kronos to the previously selected Int A-112 Synth Lead memories" patch

It's weird as it's not repeatable every time, but quite often if I press a switch or move sliders on the actual Kronos when demoing sounds from the Banks tab on the editor, the program does change

In the bank's window you have to actually double click in order for it to be loaded into Kronos.
Single clicking allows you to auddition different sounds before committing (Double clicking)
Ojustaboo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, thought it was something like that.

Having only just got my Kronos and not knowing what the sounds sound like, when I'm auditioning sounds in the bank screen and see something like SW1, the temptation is to press SW1 to see what it does to the sound prior to me deciding if I want to use that sound or not.

I'll have to learn not to Smile

Would be nice while choosing sounds if there was an option to double click and stay on the bank page until I've found the sound I like, but knowing me, I'm the only one that needs such an option Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: