Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First live gig with Krome
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicman2011

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajbbklyn wrote:
If you're going to add a mixer to the chain, you could put it in front of the Radial Duplex and after the compressor. This way, you have one controlled, gain-staged signal going into the DI box. You can even use the XLR out of the mixer into the XLR input of the Radial.

I might keep the Radial in the chain because the passive Jension transformer eliminates ground loops - keeps everything clean going to FOH and to your monitors.

Also, don't know about the Krome, but my M50 tends to have a hot signal. I keep the volume slider on the keyboard between 33-50% depending on the setup.

Thank you for that input. That actually is the signal flow I am intending to hook up. I had intended to remove the DI, but for the reason you mentioned , may keep it in my rack.

The Krome "seems", on single patches to be lower than my Stage 2 single patch output. However on Combi layers it jumps up fast. Even wit hthe relative voices in the layers mixed accordingly. At this point I don;t know if it is D/A overload.
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there's some sort of level differential between the different modes on the Krome - even though there shouldn't be.

Maybe try setting up some single-program custom combis using the "Copy from Program" function and put them all within the User Combi bank. This way, you'd always be in combi mode. I know it doesn't sound logical, but it just might help in adding some consistency to the board's output levels. (Of course, you might already have done this for your single voice patches.)

This approach also might make it a bit easier to switch between sounds. If everything is in a User combi bank, you simply select the User bank from Bank/Combination Select Menu and stay on that page. You just highlight each sound as needed. You don't even need to go "into" the patch to play it.
musicman2011

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajbbklyn wrote:
Perhaps there's some sort of level differential between the different modes on the Krome - even though there shouldn't be.

Maybe try setting up some single-program custom combis using the "Copy from Program" function and put them all within the User Combi bank. This way, you'd always be in combi mode. I know it doesn't sound logical, but it just might help in adding some consistency to the board's output levels.

This also might make it a bit easier to switch between sounds. If everything is in a User combi bank, you simply select the User bank from Bank/Combination Select Menu and stay on that page. You just highlight each sound as needed. You don't even need to go "into" the sound to play.

We just seem to think very much alike. I , in fact , do write a single program into a combi, including copy FX, so I dont have to switch from program to combi.

My first gripe was, having more than 16 combies, trying to swipe the slider to move to combis -16-31, etc. The touchscreen and my finger dont awlays play well.
BUT your idea of writing them to Bank B,C,D firs 16 is a more elegant way to address the issuein a live venue.
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't even thought of it that way. I was thinking strictly in terms of Bank D or using the "Category Search" and arriving at the "User 16" category page. But, your method would a viable alternative to swiping the scroll bar to get at sounds 17-32; 33-48, etc.

As long as you've backed up the .pcg with the factory combi placement, there's no reason not to try it that way.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your PA system is mono and/or your personnal monitoring system is mono, you should only use one output from the Krome, i.e. the labled "L/mono". You do not need a compressor. The DI is only required to give the correct signal level to the house system, but it will often help eliminate ground loops and hum.

Your keyboard will never sound as satisfying througha mono PA vs. a near field stereo monitoring system, sorry just a simple fact due to the stereo effects and reverb in the keyboard. But you should be able to get a good sound from the system, it will be disconcerting at first but it should not take you to long to grow used to it.

House PA's many time have frequence unbalanced sound (usually they got subwoofers that turn up too loud to satisfy the crowd.) You should never have to apply EQ to a modern keyboard, but being able to turn down the low freq maybe necessary, due to poor balance on the sound guy's part, not the keyboard. (just check it with good headphones) The low end may rummble on stage and be very confusing. Be prepare to EQ the bass out, other than that you should be good.

Remember the sound coming out of a modern keyboard like the Krome is excellent, Sound systems and the room can really screw that sound up. If the house has subwoofer to close to the stage you may have better luck playing through headphones or in-ear system, the low freq can be very confusing and spoil your whole night, mid & high freqs are more directional and generally don't cause to many problems other than just being too loud.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
musicman2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i stated in a previous reply, I am running MONO from the boards.

here is an interesting thread on compression http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2432666/Searchpage/1/Main/166649/Words/Compressors/Search/true/Compressors_live#Post2432666.

I agree with observations, also on the EQing . I did use IEMs for a while, those are the most close to what you play is what you hear, and the unit had a comp/limiter built in.

I played in stereo briefly, more my own sound satisfaction on stage. Other band members could not hear the stereo, nor the audience,

Having played since the 60s, I am used to running in mono and through a myriad of amps, monitors, and the like.

I appreciate yout input.
MWGKorg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you use a mixer with balanced out, is there any necessity to run a DI box also?

Compressor could sit in the effects loop.

I had a cheap-as Behringer mixer a while back which could do all those things.

Have you made any progress on getting better sounds? I tried amping my board with an accoustic/clean vocal amp, and it sounded awful, however I use mine for silent practice rather than performance so it's much less of a bother for me.

M
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ mark

No need for DI if your sub-mix board has XLR outs. Very small mixers (like my Behringer 4 channel) sometimes don't... in my case, yes, a DI would be needed to get the best signal to FOH.

I use a gen-1 EON 15 to monitor and generally the sound is pretty good, if a bit boomy, but that's also without any kind of EQ.

Have you run your speaker with any kind of calibration signal (i.e., white/pink noise) to see what kind of response or coloration your speaker might have. Different speaker/horn combinations can make a huge difference, as can distance from the speaker and monitor-to-ear alignment.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balanced outs on a mixer are usually good enough, if you have a regular sound company or know what to expect. But advantages of DIs are having ground lift in case of unintended loops (no mixers I know of have this) plus providing an extra layer of protection against (unintended) phantom power on the lines.

Definitely not useless.
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Especially true for a passive DI like the Radial JDI Duplex.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Balanced outs on a mixer are usually good enough, if you have a regular sound company or know what to expect. But advantages of DIs are having ground lift in case of unintended loops (no mixers I know of have this) plus providing an extra layer of protection against (unintended) phantom power on the lines.

Definitely not useless.

Very true, especially phantom power. Some (cheap?) mixers provide phantom power on all lines instead of selectable. In that case my monitors (JBL Eon10) do not sound or have a lot of noise mixed in. Passive DIs work for this. Also hums are mostly removed. Btw, I use a very cheap Behringer Ultra DI20 but it does the job well. I only use it when needed (unless the PA company we hire have their own - hopefully better quality DI boxes) and needed it about once every 10 or 20 gigs.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: