Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Sequencer do you use.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Sequencer do you use.
KORG built in Sequencer.
40%
 40%  [ 44 ]
Other
59%
 59%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 108

BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
that's just wishful thinking, not realistic before 2 or 3 workstation generations ahead.

Not really, its in the Krome already, piano roll, you can draw and stretch
lines in the Editor...e tc.
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both the sequencer in the Kronos and the Oasys. I tried to vote to no avail, so chalk up another vote for the Kronos. Smile Smile
RlaRed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just voted that I use the sequencer in the Kronos, though I haven't tried it for editing actual MIDI yet too much. I was using a computer with Studio One but found that it detracted from musical experience, so I like that the Kronos is an all-in-one solution for me.

"The graveyards are full of indispensable men" - General Charles De Gaulle
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
that's just wishful thinking, not realistic before 2 or 3 workstation generations ahead.

Nedim, that's nice, but even with piano roll etc. software sequencers are specialized packets with tons of usful functionality not available on hardware sequencers - and the latter will need 2-3 more hardware generations to be at least principally able to catch up.

Both serve different purposes so far IMHO and will not be comparable for quite a while to come. Everyone should be aware of that, to get rid of completely unrealistic expectations.
But that's a vote FOR piano roll view and easier editing in the Kronos, not against, because it's useful and needed even for the limited onboard recording purposes.
Davidb
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:

But that's a vote FOR piano roll view and easier editing in the Kronos, not against, because it's useful and needed even for the limited onboard recording purposes.

Exactly. Shhh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jmchiro1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Logic Pro. I am also surprised to see so many users of the internal sequencer While it is nice to have the Kronos' sequencer for a sketch pad or catching a quick idea, it lacks the incredible flexiblity of the DAW, not to mention the bigger screen [mine is 42"].
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread!
I use Live and Logic, but totally blown away at how many users are using the Kronos sequencer!
Not that it's bad thing, but even more reason for some advanced functionality. Jmo..
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jim, of course, nothing can beat a DAW...i don't think anytime soon.
Vim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use the onboard Seq as a sketch pad (M1>01/W fd >X3>Trinity Plus>Triton. when the idea is about 75% towards where i want it to go i save as smf then load up either in Logic 5.5.1 n a PC (yes it wtill works fine) / SONAR or Cubase depending on what i have 'loaded' or what software instruments i think will help the 'production.'
ex Marshall Islands
SV1200

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
jimknopf wrote:
I was surprised seing the results of this poll: I thought everyone is using software sequencers these days for any serious sequencing.

It's not surprising because many people who hang out at music forums are amateurs or weekend warriors. They don't do serious sequencing.

Kinda sad you guys think this, do you know how much "serious" music was created with hardware sequencers including mpc's, triton, motifs, old Ensoniqs, etc... Even today?

I know a lot of professionals who just dont like sequencing software, emotion of what there creating comes out much easier without a mouse. Moving notes around all day seems so uncreative to me too. Software def has benefits, but to undermine hardware sequencers as serious, is such BS
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both software and hardware sequencers have their pro's and cons.
I don't think you can generalise and say that software sequencers are for the noobs and hardware sequencers for the pro's.
It will mainly be a matter of personal taste, work flow, goal of the musical project and the capabilities of the used hardware or software product.
Saxifraga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

Nedim, that's nice, but even with piano roll etc. software sequencers are specialized packets with tons of usful functionality not available on hardware sequencers - and the latter will need 2-3 more hardware generations to be at least principally able to catch up.

Both serve different purposes so far IMHO and will not be comparable for quite a while to come. Everyone should be aware of that, to get rid of completely unrealistic expectations.

Let´s see: Combine a iPad 3 (700,-€) with an iRig (45,-€), Macmini (1000,-€ with 8GB and SSD and touchpad), a M-Audio Keyboard (Venom 200,-€ or Prokeys 88 500,-€) plus Novation Ultranova (600,-€) and put everything into one nice box and call it a workstation. Build an app that will control a DAW-Server process inside the Macmini with a sampler and n+1 engines. Voila! Your new workstation is ready.
A rather crude solution could be to have VNC running and use Logic Pro for starters.
3000,-€ (End user price! How much lower would be the cost if you are an enterprise buying higher numbers!?) and you have a formidable system with a big nice multitouch screen.

In the end it comes down to software integration not hardware. The Kronos would easily be able to house a much better UI and Sequencer if Korg would start their software from scratch (not the soundengines). If Korg wants to exist for longer then 5..10 years from now on they will have to do it or they will be obsolete. How long can you sell basically the same product since Trinity? 10 to 20 years?
midinut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Cubase 5. I'm planning to upgrade to 6 soon, but my current PC won't handle it (Win XP - 32 bit). I, like many here, am patiently awaiting the new editor so I can integrate my Kronos into Cubase and use it like a VST. I've got a Motif ES6 which I do like the pattern sequencer from, and I still have my M3-73 which I never did use the sequencer in.

My personal workflow is better served with a software DAW than hardware. YMMV. I feel like the DAW provides more of a "traditional recording studio" environment for me more than hardware would or can at this time. If I need a compressor, I've got many to choose from. Same with reverbs, choruses, etc. Not to mention the veritible smorgasboard of VST instruments I have at my disposal. If I can hear it in my head, I can get it recorded pretty much. I can choose linear recording or chop it up into Intro-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus-Outro all day long. It gives me flexibility that I just can't find in hardware (yet). So in the meantime, I'll continue creating using the tools I have. I got my Kronos mostly for the sounds, engines, KARMA, and ability to stream samples if I need to fly something in. If I were to take my music "live" I might be inclined to try to port my Cubase recordings into the Kronos Sequencer just to recreate it live without taking a PC out with me. But until that time comes, I'm perfectly happy with my recording process. I also use a Zoom R24 as my audio interface. It doubles for me that if I have an idea and don't want to take the time to set up a new Cubase file and record, I can just arm the tracks on the R24 and ... there you go ... idea recorded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: