Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few basic MS questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feelgood

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: A few basic MS questions Reply with quote

Hello again guys. I have a few basic questions pertaining to the Microstation. In no particular order here they are:

1) While in sequence mode is the Microstation able to edit individual note/track 'gate time' data? I've read all of the manuals from beginning to end but can't seem to find anything specifically addressing this issue.

2) While in sequence mode is the Microstation able to copy the tone parameters (i.e. volume, pan, filter, envelope settings etc..) of a particular program/track to another track? Again the manual does not specifically address this and from pure trial and error I cannot seem to execute this very simple function. To my frustration the 'copy track' function does not copy a program/tracks tone parameters. It does however copy the tracks musical/note data, but again, not the actual 'tone parameters'.

3) Is anyone else on here sequencing their MS with an ESX? If so, I have a few questions for you. Smile

Thanks for your time guys. Your advice/help is much appreciated.
Korg Microkorg
Korg Microstation
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://soundcloud.com/dr-feelgood
johnroney

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) While in sequence mode is the Microstation able to edit individual note/track 'gate time' data? I've read all of the manuals from beginning to end but can't seem to find anything specifically addressing this issue.

if by gate/time data you mean the RTC knobs, or TEMPO ... then, nope. you only get ONE tempo, as determined in the seq menu or the RTC knob. if you need different subdivisions for ARPS, then you can do that in the arp editor (GOOD LUCK! ! ! haha!) which can create anything based on the pulse (like maybe a cool hemiola or something... half-time?) up to a certain number of steps ... otherwise, i'm not sure what you mean.

Quote:
2) While in sequence mode is the Microstation able to copy the tone parameters (i.e. volume, pan, filter, envelope settings etc..) of a particular program/track to another track? Again the manual does not specifically address this and from pure trial and error I cannot seem to execute this very simple function. To my frustration the 'copy track' function does not copy a program/tracks tone parameters. It does however copy the tracks musical/note data, but again, not the actual 'tone parameters'.

in the editor, you go to SEQ, and then from the UTILITY menu, you can COPY from program (with/without FX, etc...) but this will load from the PROGRAMS library - maybe not what you want. you'd need to save your channel setup as a PROGRAM, and then get it from there... but be careful, if you load the FX with the program (with fx=yes), then say GOODBYE to all your other IFX settings.! ! !!
oh, and by the way, be careful WHERE you save your program, so you don't delete ones that are already being used in your sequence. it's a house of cards from that point.
haha... editor architecture strikes another one down!
i hope korg is reading this somewhere....
(and i hope to some degree, i'm being helpful to you!)
at the risk of being obnoxious... please join the campaign for a NEW EDITOR to try and fix some of these problems...
Feelgood

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnroney wrote:
Quote:

if by gate/time data you mean the RTC knobs, or TEMPO ... then, nope. you only get ONE tempo, as determined in the seq menu or the RTC knob. if you need different subdivisions for ARPS, then you can do that in the arp editor (GOOD LUCK! ! ! haha!) which can create anything based on the pulse (like maybe a cool hemiola or something... half-time?) up to a certain number of steps ... otherwise, i'm not sure what you mean.

Quote:

in the editor, you go to SEQ, and then from the UTILITY menu, you can COPY from program (with/without FX, etc...) but this will load from the PROGRAMS library - maybe not what you want. you'd need to save your channel setup as a PROGRAM, and then get it from there... but be careful, if you load the FX with the program (with fx=yes), then say GOODBYE to all your other IFX settings.! ! !!
oh, and by the way, be careful WHERE you save your program, so you don't delete ones that are already being used in your sequence. it's a house of cards from that point.
haha... editor architecture strikes another one down!
i hope korg is reading this somewhere....
(and i hope to some degree, i'm being helpful to you!)
at the risk of being obnoxious... please join the campaign for a NEW EDITOR to try and fix some of these problems...

Thanks for the detailed answers johnroney. Smile Regarding #1 what I meant by 'gate time' is the duration of a given musical note used in a sequence i.e. the length of a particular note according to how long you held down the key. Perhaps this common feature is called something else on the MS? I don't know, but it sure would be nice to have this basic editing tool as an option for tidying your sounds up in a sequence.

On #2 I'm unfortunately not at the moment using the MS software. I would eventually like to do so once I get a decent laptop to integrate into my current setup. At the current moment I'm using the MS standalone.

Regarding the campaign for a new editor, I'm totally on board with you and would be willing to sign on to get an update going. Smile

Thanks again for your time and help.
Korg Microkorg
Korg Microstation
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://soundcloud.com/dr-feelgood
johnroney

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: editing Reply with quote

ok.. gate time for notes - so, basically = note length.
no, there is no way to change this.
i would suggest using a simple laptop with this keyboard... the interface will help alot, and if you do any sequencing, a basic daw is miles ahead of the interface on the keyboard itself. graphically you can see/change anything... then export to midi. i have encountered some bugs with this process, but for the most part, it's cool.
johnroney
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: