Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic audio hook-up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Basic audio hook-up Reply with quote

I am waiting (and waiting) for my K-X 88 to arrive. Meanwhile I am wondering what you users are using for your main audio outs.

I see that it is balanced TRS. Does it do best into a balanced line level input?

I assume that going into the line level of a nice set of pre-amps is the way to go??

Any suggestions, tips or comments about how to get the Kronos to sound its best?

Thanks.

And - what do they mean when they say "Audio Out Through USB"? How, and when would this be done??
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally I am going digital in/out
canman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

what format? and how many channels are there?

when they say that everything is routed to the main L&R, how does that translate in the digital output?
ed_f
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly sure what your asking. Digital gives you 2 in /out.
If you look a the audio input page in global you can se the 2 s/pdif inputs.
So I route all my signals between gear that way.
It carries a digital version of the main L/R outputs - the drawback is the main volume knob does nothing.
I bring in a digital signal directly for sampling etc.
canman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ed. I assume that at some point you have some D/A converters that allow you to get to some speakers?

Could someone please tell me how "hot" the analog signal is out of the Kronos? and please see my first message, and tell me how you get the best sound, glorious inspiring sound. Very Happy
cobray

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help in this dept. too! I plugged my Kronos into my laptop to record on Sonar and I got a signal and all, but everytime I hit a note there was some distortion.

I used the L/MONO output, necked it down to an 1/8 inch and drove it right into my computer mic input. When that didn't give me a clear signal, I tried running it through a small mixing board first, but still same problem.

My next step was to look for a USB cable, but can't recall if the KRONOS shipped with one, and in my massive bag of misc. cables I couldn't find one that looked like it would fit.

Thanks for any advice and help! Smile
canman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. As I am trying to confirm, I think the output of the Kronos is going to be more of a "LINE IN" signal than MIC IN. Having a signal that is hotter than a MIC level signal would indeed distort the signal going into a MIC IN.

I doubt it, bit is there anything that indicates you can engage a "PAD" such as -15db., or switch from mic to LINE IN - f you can.

Good luck

CM
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobray wrote:
I need help in this dept. too! I plugged my Kronos into my laptop to record on Sonar and I got a signal and all, but everytime I hit a note there was some distortion.

I used the L/MONO output, necked it down to an 1/8 inch and drove it right into my computer mic input. When that didn't give me a clear signal, I tried running it through a small mixing board first, but still same problem.

My next step was to look for a USB cable, but can't recall if the KRONOS shipped with one, and in my massive bag of misc. cables I couldn't find one that looked like it would fit.

Thanks for any advice and help! Smile

L/MONO (and R) output are LINE LEVEL. Feeding that into a MIC input is a definite no-no, and may even damage your mic pre. LINE LEVEL Out's go always go to LINE LEVEL In's!
cobray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for your help. How should I get the Kronos plugged into a recording device?
Headphone out to mic in?
I'm working with limited resources here and I won't be able to get to a music store for a month.

Would the USB "A" port to the computer be the best way to go? I might be able to find a cable that would have both ends the same on this island.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need a normal USB lead, like this one for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumnique-Printer-Hewlett-Packard-Lexmark/dp/B000VWQHVS/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1345982230&sr=8-19
cobray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the help. It looks like I should be using the USB "B" port then? If I go through all of my misc. cables I might be able to find one that fits.
Does that end have a specific size, say 5mm?

When I first looked at it, I thought it wasn't very "universal" looking, but apparently it is a common size port/cable end.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just a standard lead, plug the square bit into the "B" port and the flat bit into the computer. I'm pretty sure my Kronos came with one.

Make sure you install the Korg drivers on the computer and away you go.
cobray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. Are the drivers on the disks that came with the Kronos, or do I need to visit a website to get them?
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed them from the website but I would guess they are on the disks that came with the Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: