Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programming help request #1 - The RTC knobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricstudioc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Programming help request #1 - The RTC knobs Reply with quote

Howdy -

So - picked up a MicroStation, after years away from them I wanted to get some of those Korg sounds back in the arsenal. And it certainly delivers the goods, matter of fact the price/performance ratio on this thing is not to be believed. (Would have preferred a module, it's been a little awkward getting it physically into my rig, but..... hey, whatcha gonna do...?)

I'm no novice to programming, and have owned Korg in the past so I have some idea of their mindset. And a lot of what's available as parameters I've already got my head around (I am running the Editor...) But I'm really buggered trying to grasp the RTC knobs - yeah, there's some great power in there, but the tradeoff is complexity. So I'm hoping one of the programming guru's around here can shed some light on their setup, 'cuz they're one of the things I want customize quickly for my needs.

First question - is there any quick and to-the-point way of seeing just what a given knob does in any particular prog/combi? Currently it appears the only way to figure it out is to A) go to the "basic/controllers" page (in Program for example) and note the assignment of a given knob, and then B) start clicking around all the other pages looking for that entry in a mod field (and actually clicking thru ALL pages just in case it's assigned to more than one parameter...)

Is that really it - no simpler way of seeing routing from the knobs, some shortcut I'm missing?

Got tons of questions on the knobs, but we'll start here. If there's a simpler way of seeing the assignments beginning-to-end it would let me answer a lot of my own questions - as it is it's a laborious process. Any tutorials specific to the modulation/control functions available??

Any and all input appreciated!
johnroney

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: rtc controls Reply with quote

Quote:
First question - is there any quick and to-the-point way of seeing just what a given knob does in any particular prog/combi? Currently it appears the only way to figure it out is to A) go to the "basic/controllers" page (in Program for example) and note the assignment of a given knob, and then B) start clicking around all the other pages looking for that entry in a mod field (and actually clicking thru ALL pages just in case it's assigned to more than one parameter...)

Is that really it - no simpler way of seeing routing from the knobs, some shortcut I'm missing?

nope, no shortcut - you are correct.
this editor SUCKS for this reason - get yourself a good pad of paper, and get ready to memorize/record some random numbers that have no relevance to the parameter that they are changing (ex. boosting a level +1.0dB is not really +1.0dB, but just 'a little bit more' - not necessarily exactly 1.0dB. similarly, for all the eq's 400k is not exactly 400k, but just a little bit lower than the thing called 600k. totally misleading and crappy).
i am making a bit of a bad reputation here in that i am always blaming the editor. please see CAMPAIGN FOR NEW SOFTWARE EDITOR on this forum.

i've managed to turn this 'board into my main touring axe, and i am now finally 'content' with it. not 'blown-away', nor rarely 'inspired'... and that is really all due to the lag of the editor. so, best advice is to start from scratch with your combis. get to know all the ifx and mfx plugins, but don't forget that you can't use certain combinations of them! ! !
assigning the knobs, you must program all this from the ifx parameters menus. yes, just like you thought.
so, get to know what you like, and write it down, because there's also no COPY and PASTE ! ! !
hahaha...
totally shitty editor! i'll say it again... but i'm continuing to bang my head against this thing because i believe in this keyboard.

hopefully, korg will introduce something in late 2012 that will sound much better than the microstation, and much easier to use. maybe, just maybe, like in the 4th quarter, in time for the holidays. maybe. pure speculation.
ricstudioc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John, and thanks (in a kinda depressing way... Wink )

Yeah, I'd noted the fuss about the Editor before even making the buy, but still am blown away by the sound quality-vs-price - this is a really great board. BTW I control mine from an M-Audio Keystation 88, hence my comment about a rack version, didn't really need the mini keys.

Even just enhancing the current editor would be a big jump forward, in this particular instance (for example) being able to right click on a knob assignment and having a flyout pop up with the assigned destinations would be of enormous help. Just little adds like that would make the editor a lot more useful.

Ahh well, guess I'll stumble along my merry way.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: