Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

my rack won`t start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockbox74

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: my rack won`t start Reply with quote

My triton rack will not start, at all! no lights no sound no nothing. The fuse near the power supply is ok. I have had it for some years, is there a battary (oh this sound so stupid asking but i really miss my friend) I need my sound and patches, what a hell happend !!!javascript:emoticon('Embarassed')
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockbox,

If you've checked the fuse, I'd say it sounds more like dead power supply than anything else from the symptoms you described.

[The rack does have a battery, but if it was dead you'd get lights and no programs. No lights is a no power situation.]

The PS for the rack is the same as the KARMA using that big-ass multi-pin plug - your local music store may have 'em for other units or makers (like PA mixers) -- just be sure that the voltage output is the same (in milliamps) and you should be on the road again.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
tiggie_00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try plugging it in and put it in your bath tub full of water.. Then step in and if you feel a Jolt? The power supply is good. Razz
Comrad_Durandal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiggie_00 wrote:
try plugging it in and put it in your bath tub full of water.. Then step in and if you feel a Jolt? The power supply is good. Razz

Translation for those who don't know he's a troll: Use of a multimeter will tell you if your getting output, though you will need to consult with Korg for proper troubleshooting procedures in this regard.

DO NOT OPERATE ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES NEAR WATER AS SUGGESTED ABOVE!
qrazy synth man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbaker says there is a battery in the Triton Rack but as far as I can see the manual never mentions a battery.

In fact on page 2 under Data Handling the manual says:

Malfunctions due to incorrect operation may cause the contents of memory to be lost, so we recommend that you save important data on a floppy disks.

No battery mentioned.

The Index on page 109 does not list "Battery"
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QSM,

Battery back-up is for holding RAM data including the voices (program/combi). It's not considered by Korg to be user replaceable (generally speaking) and so it may not be mentioned in the manual for that reason.

If it has RAM, it has a battery. It is a very low use item and will normally last for a long time (years) before needing to be replaced, but most Triton Racks are coming up on their 10 year anniversary so it's not improbable that the battery needs top be replaced.

Usually there's a "LOW BATTERY" warning that comes up before it quits altogether (every other Korg I've owned). When it does quit, powering off will cause voices to be lost and negate any re-load or restore routines you've done.

The "you need to back it up" warning is to let you know that you can fully edit all the internal memory of the Triton (a good thing) and if you don't know exactly what you're doing you can accidentally fully edit all the internal memory of the Triton (not good, especially if you didn't anticipate that you might do it.).

The second thing has happened a lot. to other folks, but it doesn't appear to me that this is the case with the OP's description of his problem.

A replacement PS runs in the $50 range. Battery is a not terribly complicated tech job unless you're the type to dig around in circuit boards - under $100.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and it's nice to see someone else still reads the manual... a good habit to develop. Keep it up.

BB

qrazy synth man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill for taking the time to explain the battery situation.

We all know the manual though useful can be very vague at times leaving the user guessing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Rack All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: