Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Killer Lead" Patch for TRINITY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmaguilera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: "Killer Lead" Patch for TRINITY Reply with quote

I am desperately looking for a program called 'Killer Lead' for my Trinity. It is (or is very closer to) the sound used by Derek Sherinian on the dream theater's 'Falling into Infinity' album.

In fact, the main reason I bought the korg trinity is for this sound. I thought that it corresponded to the PB014 'monster lead' but it's not what i am looking for.

The 'Killer Lead' is a 'Monster lead' extrapolation but it is a fatter sound and it has the 5th harmonic decreased in the ribbon.

Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMys6pbSFo

Thank you very much!!!

Regards!!

Carlos
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's usually a very bad idea and beginner's mistake to buy a keyboard just to get one particular sound, unless you know for a fact that the sound can only be done on that synth due to a unique feature that it has, which is rarely the case. Apparently, you have made this mistake because it seems that this sound can indeed be done on most synths,

http://www.progsounds.com/sound-design/tutorials/monster-lead

Derek Sherinian uses the Kronos61, if wikipedia is accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Sherinian

The Triton Extreme with EXB-Moss would be another particularly good alternative because the MOSS has an excellent plucked strings physical model for guitar and the valve force tubes for an excellent analog tube distortion/overdrive.

One of the difficult issues of trying to reproduce any sound that you've heard on the Trinity is that it may not be apparent which synth engine the patch is actually using, because the Trinity has the Prophecy and MOSS options, in addition to the ACCESS engine. So if the patch is using the Prophecy or MOSS to do that sound, then it could be impossible to do the sound on the Trinity models that only have the ACCESS engine and not the Prophecy/MOSS. The MOSS engine happens to be one of those rare unique features I described above. So if the patch was done using MOSS, you may not be able to accurately reproduce it on a Trinity without MOSS, even though you could reproduce it on any of Korg's synths that have a MOSS board, such as a Karma, Triton Classic, Triton Studio or Triton Extreme with the EXB-MOSS board. Based on the progsounds.com tutorial, if it's accurate, the Monster Lead doesn't use MOSS. I'm not an expert on Derek Sherinian, so I'm going based on what I've found on a brief search for you, but I am an experienced synth programmer with many of Korg's synths, including MOSS(Z1) and the Triton Extreme.

But since you have the Trinity, you might as well follow the progsound.com tutorial to make the patch yourself. That will be a very useful learning experience. It can be a great learning example to try to reproduce a sound that you really like on lots of different synths, since it helps to learn about programming in general with the benefit that you'll be highly motivated and rewarded when you are successful getting the sound as a result of your effort.

After you make the patch on the Trinity, then you can try to do the same thing on any other synth that you consider buying in the future. That's one of the ways that I evaluate synths: by trying to recreate several sounds that I have done many times in the past on other synths. This is a much better way to learn a synths capabilities rather than merely playing whatever presets it has. Programming a synth requires a much deeper understanding of the synths architecture and features, compared to merely playing patches that were created by someone else.
variant966

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link progsounds.com! I'm sure - it will be useful to me!
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
Based on the progsounds.com tutorial, if it's accurate, the Monster Lead doesn't use MOSS.

Not sure if I have the Killer Lead patch, I'd have to take a look for it as I can actually remember using a patch which contained a feedback harmonic, but the Monster Lead itself can be easily replicated using non-ACCESS architecture. In fact I attempted to faithfully emulate Monster Lead using MOSS instead of ACCESS and renamed it Mosster Lead and included it in my free Moss set in order for people with the Triton/Karma with Moss to get their hands on it as well as us Trinitarians.

A "feedback" harmonic can be easily added by setting up another oscillator (or even another a program, if you run out of oscillators and fancy setting up a combi) - merely a sine wave - transposed up several notches and remaining silent until you shift the joystick upwards to fade it in. Sounds best when a distortion effect is used as an insert, as per the case of Monster Lead too.
cmaguilera

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information!!.

I'm looking for the specific 'Killer Lead' program (or combi, i don't know) for the Korg Trinity (ACCESS only i thing, not MOSS) because i know it has been moving in some forums and mail groups a few years ago.
I just wondered if anyone has this sound because I've tried some approaches but they do not sound exactly like I want.
Anyway thank you very much for your help!.

Regards!

Carlos
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: you dont need any extra cards to get your lead Reply with quote

ok i just went to S4K space4keys on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajo-LlyZSHA this guy shows many variations of the solo you want. let me help you build it.

first of all its all about distortion. i never realized how much distorition was actually used in the early days of Moog.

they probably ran em through guitar amps. but any way can build the sound easily. especially since you are distorting the crap out of it ultimately.

for now i recommend this. find a sound going one at a time that has the amount of sustain so that its a steady sound. also with fast attack. take any sound and go to edit. even an organ sound to start.

go into edit and make it a 'mono' patch. you would want it to release just a fraction longer after you let go of the note. then go directly to effects and find the best distotion and start tweaking it to death.

you'll probably want to save them as you go, as you'll find some you like more than others. if you find one that seems close at all once distorted, try changing the samples to actual synth waves up in the 200's i think and use only sine or pulse or saw waves or square, and see if that is a better way to get the tone you want. those are the main ingredients to most synth sounds.

and then treat it llike a guitar and put chorus, flange, reverb.... trick it out with heavey effects.

i feel confident if you do this, you'll be very close to where you want to be. watch the treble!!!!!!!!!! and use the sustain pedal to keep it fluid.

NOTE: there are patches mentioned on these sites and i'm sure everyone wants it handed ot them on a silver platter.

i just went through all my PCG's, i have everyone ever made, and theres no 'killer lead'. this patch was made known recently by someone who made it themselves.

sure they may have the solo card which is the only way you can get portamento, or a moss card, but the trick to a synthesizer is making it MONO. thats why it rips so fluidly.

but if it seems like its not flowing, give it more release. there is more you can know about this, but i'm just keeping it simple. you can take it as far as you want.
cmaguilera

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacecowboy!!,
Thank you very much for your help!!

your answer is very enlightening,

Regards!!
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: fluidity Reply with quote

i wish i could tell you the setting that allows you too hold a note in mono mode and tap other notes whithout that note stopping. that would be another test while looking for the right patch. hold a note then play notes above it and below it and see if any of the notes just stop. kinda like finger tappin on a guitar. i'm thinking its a 'triggering" setting or retriggering, i could be completely wrong. i should actually know because i have 100 softsynths with that option on most all of em.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
Derek Sherinian uses the Kronos61, if wikipedia is accurate.

BUT, the original sound was created on Korg Trinity.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: fluidity Reply with quote

Spacecowboy wrote:
i wish i could tell you the setting that allows you too hold a note in mono mode and tap other notes whithout that note stopping. that would be another test while looking for the right patch. hold a note then play notes above it and below it and see if any of the notes just stop. kinda like finger tappin on a guitar. i'm thinking its a 'triggering" setting or retriggering, i could be completely wrong. i should actually know because i have 100 softsynths with that option on most all of em.

PROGRAM EDIT P1, Assign/Hold section, enable "Mono" and "Legato" checkboxes, with "Last" note priority.
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dragon. thats one reason i recommend not installing global when loading pcg's. theres always a little something that you have to check.
EvilDragon
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh? This has nothing to do with global settings, this is within a program...
maxibrady1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: killer Miller patch Reply with quote

Hi guys
There's a brass patch on korg Trinity called Killer Miller
Anyone got this converted patch for a Triton ..?
Please please......😢
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: