Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No swing, no 6/8, no shuffle beats, no blues...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mahalo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: No swing, no 6/8, no shuffle beats, no blues...? Reply with quote

Guitarist came round for a jam and at random I picked out We Are The Champions by Queen, gave him the chords, and spent more than one hour FAILING to find a single shuffle or 6/8 drum beat. not one!

Then it dawned on me, the SWING knob, which has a lot of positions that are really no good, has a sweet spot, a little bit to the right, that does exactly this job, turning any and ALL of the drumbeats into swing time.

At which point I gave up. time ran out.

Guitarists are often blues thinkers, 6/8 time fits the strumming of a guitar.

Any suggestions which of the many beats to start for a basic 6/8 blues, and for rock 6/8 such as We Are The Champions?
Wylany

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, why cant you just write your own beat? You have the pattern editor in the software. Remember, this is little cheap keyboard and can't have everything you want. It gives you a taste of korg philosophy, to make you want a higher series board. Thats what i think. It gives almast all I need, so I play it, but i'm awared of limitations.

Keep tweaking! Wink
McKabe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my newbness, but...

You used the term "software". Is that "software" as in some sort of feature within the microSTATION itself? Or are you referring to a visual-interface "software" for your Mac or PC? Because that would solve a lot of my problems with using this little gadget.

Thanks in advance and uh... Give me some time. I can't be a n00b forever.
Wylany

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Software means the program from included cd which is advenced editor for your machine. The letter "i" in EDSi engine means integrated. This means that to have full features you need to interate with your cpu.

Go ahead and keep tweaking!
Mahalo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: swing time on the microSTATION Reply with quote

thanks for your comments and advice.

I imagine some of the existing patterns were written specially for a swing feel but I just do not know which ones. Secondly the exact percentage for normal swing, and the visceral feeling of less or more percentage, that would all be nice to know, but it is not documented. Thirdly the swing setting range is of no practical use - basically we need either straight time, or swing time, or something very close to one or the other. If there is a use for any of the more extreme settings of swing time I cannot imagine it. negative swing time, very odd effect, is it used in any known music style or any exciting new music?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: