Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi out of TEX to midi in Motif ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabuchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Midi out of TEX to midi in Motif ? Reply with quote

Hi Yall

I am in combi mode in the TEX, have a midi cable from TEX midi out to Motif midi in. I have the motif in performance mode. I am controlling the Motif from the TEX by advancing the combis in the TEX which triggers the motif to advance in performances.

the sound from the motif is being played from the TEX and i dont want that.
I know i am missing something in that i dont want the motif sounds sounding from my TEX.

How do i fix this?

thnx
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Midi out of TEX to midi in Motif ? Reply with quote

kabuchi wrote:
Hi Yall

I am in combi mode in the TEX, have a midi cable from TEX midi out to Motif midi in. I have the motif in performance mode. I am controlling the Motif from the TEX by advancing the combis in the TEX which triggers the motif to advance in performances.

the sound from the motif is being played from the TEX and i dont want that.
I know i am missing something in that i dont want the motif sounds sounding from my TEX.

How do i fix this?

thnx

Did you set the global midi channels different on the TEX and Motif?

If you didn't, it's probably the best to set the TEX to 2 (since that is your slave). Then you have probably to program in each TEX combi a EXT or EXT2 setting to set the Motif to a different performance. You probably have to do this for every combi, however you can also set the performance mode to a different number than the combi number.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kabuchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

no< i didnt change the global mode and do the Ext thing. will try that out. thnx
kabuchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something is not working. when i change combi on the TEX, the TEX changes the performance on the motif which is what i want.However, the sounds from the motif is coming through the TEX and i dont want that.

trying to find a fix to that...if possible

hope that's clear

thnx
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K -

When you say "sounds" do you mean actual audio? -- this shouldn't happen unless you've also run an audio cable bringing signal from the Motif into the Korg. You can actually do this, and use the aux inputs of the Korg as a sort of submixer, but audio signal has to come. So I'd ask what else besides the Midi out from the Korg you have hooked up.

On the other hand, if by "sound" you mean that some aspect of the Motif's performance is controlling the Korg, then that's most likely a midi signal/loop where playing the Korg triggers the Motif which plays a performance, which sends drum and arp patterns back to the Korg's midi in -- they'd get played BY the Korg but wouldn't necessarily be Motif sounds. In this case, you just want the midi signal going in only one direction -- Korg->Motif -- so do only that and don't have anything returning signal to the Korg.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
kabuchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bill

On the other hand, if by "sound" you mean that some aspect of the Motif's performance is controlling the Korg, then that's most likely a midi signal/loop where playing the Korg triggers the Motif which plays a performance, which sends drum and arp patterns back to the Korg's midi in -- they'd get played BY the Korg but wouldn't necessarily be Motif sounds. In this case, you just want the midi signal going in only one direction -- Korg->Motif -- so do only that and don't have anything returning signal to the Korg.

this part of your post is whats happening, the midi signal is returning to the korg...i believe..so if i turn down the korg volume right down to zero i wont hear the korg's voice while playing the korg but i will hear the motif's voice . i "DON'T" want to hear the motif's voice when i play the korg. Like you said, i just want korg to motif. i only have one midi cable. korg midi out to motif midi in.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you need to do is look on BOTH keyboards for a function, usually found under the global menu, called MIDI FILTER.

By ticking off certain boxes you can filter out certain pieces of the incoming or outgoing Midi message so that, as you want, only the program change message goes out and not note data.

At this point I'll say good luck and RT(F)M... Midi filter should have its own section and outline exactly what you want - it's not particularly hard.

I say check the implications on both synths because I don't know what else you might be connected to if the Korg is your main controller (or what you might want to do in the future).

Good luck.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
kabuchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx bill

appreciate that. will check out the midi filter...i know where to find it on the korg. think i can find it on the motif as well.

will see when i get back

thnx
kabuchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update

got this set up to work in sequencer mode but can't get it done in combi mode. Seq. has the option of
'BOTH" which allows you to let midi data sound from other midi gear or not. Combi does not have that option. So...dont know if there is some other setting which i haven't figured out yet but i will be using seq mode for now

kool
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's kind of a weird thought, but it might do the trick.

Combi mode of the korg allows you to select EXT as a way to pick external voices and midi channels. And the note range selectable is 0-127 - not 1-88 or 1-76.

-- so!

Provided you have excess voice tracks in a combi you could make it so that the transmitted RANGE (combi menu 5?) was so low or so high as to make the midi (note) data unplayable by the motif (either because it was higher than 88th key, or fell off the bottom-most playable note). Either way, the program and other controller data would be sent and note data would be irrelevant. MIDI in to Motif doesn't impact polyphony if the synth engine can't play it. And the Extreme ignores anything sent to the EXT channels.

I don't know if that (EXT) would allow you to select Motif Performances, but it might be worth a look.

BB

kabuchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill thanx for that thought. Will definately try that when i get back. that sounds worth trying very much.

thnx alot
will let you know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: