Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fat and warm sounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbmk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Fat and warm sounds Reply with quote

Hi,
I borrowed a µStation for a few weeks, and I'd like to know if it's possible to get fat and warm analog-like sounds, as I've heard on the X-50 (especially a kind of Moog lead sound wich sounded wonderful to me).
For now, I find the sounds quite "weak" compared to the X50 : no punch, not very warm or deep but cleaner and less harsh on the high frequencies, better acoustic sounds and times better piano !
Regards
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fat and warm sounds Reply with quote

sbmk wrote:
Hi,
I borrowed a µStation for a few weeks, and I'd like to know if it's possible to get fat and warm analog-like sounds, as I've heard on the X-50 (especially a kind of Moog lead sound wich sounded wonderful to me).
For now, I find the sounds quite "weak" compared to the X50 : no punch, not very warm or deep but cleaner and less harsh on the high frequencies, better acoustic sounds and times better piano !
Regards

From what I remember, the X-50 is a different sound engine. While the filter in most workstations aren't terribly great sounding, some of that analog "warmth" can be achieved by stacking two to three of the standard synth waveforms on top of each other, then routing a slow random LFO into the tunings of each wave. This makes the overall sound less static and more alive, creating a subtle and inconsistent chorus effect that is usually common in multi VCO synths.

As for punch, again, it's just a matter of applying analog behaviors with modern programming. Takes lots of tweaking with the filter EG depth and how it responds to the envelopes. There's also dozens of amp effects you can stack on the sound, assuming you're not playing through a decent amp.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also mention that in the effects section, they have the Korg Polysix ensemble, something called vintage flanger and a few room reverbs that sounds really great for adding some depth to the sound.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
sbmk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I've tried all this, but the results are always thin and weak, even compared to a X-50 (I don't intend to get VA-like emulations, but I like that combi which sound like a big fat and warm Moog lead). Even unison mode, which stacks thin sound until they just sound louder and out of phase. And effect remind me my old ZOOM gears (aliasing, very short delay time, metallic chorus, ...)
I think this sound engine is not for me ! I've tried the orchestral combis, pianos : ok, the sound's clearer and not as harsh as it was on the former series, but it doesn't sound good to me. Orchestral strings are quite ok on the lower keys, but on the high side, it's even worse than a PSR, just a high noise, it could be anything (pure waveform, accordion, ...) !
And the output level is soooo looooow, it doesn't help (using a MindPrint TRIO and Hs-50M speakers, I have to boost the level (preamp) even more than if it was my worst microphone).
Maybe there is something wrong with this piece. Is there a way to reset it ?
Regards
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way to do a factory reset. It requires you copying the Preload file that is on the disc that came with the MS onto the memory card, then loading it onto the MS.

I've actually never found rompler type workstations good for leads, but for what its worth, the MS has the same engine as the M3 and M50. It might be a matter of asking around on those threads for lead patch ideas. I can't help too much here since I don't really use the MS for lead sounds, only drum tracks and Polysix styled synth sequences. For that purpose, the MS does a decent job.

As for the sound being low, you might want to check the Amp Velocity settings. In Seq Mode, I set every track to -50 in the Track Edit menus. I've noticed that lots of the sounds require a lot of force to get sounding loud enough. I'm pretty sure its due to the mini keys since my microSAMPLER has the same issue when I add velocity.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing worth pointing out is that I associate the word "warmth" with motion and life within the sound. Sounds that are not static.

Others refer to "warmth" as the overall tone in frequencies. If it's the latter you're aiming for, there's a 7 band EQ insert effect which can help you bring out the lower and upper frequencies more to your taste.

My experience with newer Korg gear is that they typically have a mid-range sound that's better suited for amps with their own EQ section. Also makes them easier to record and EQ in more bass in later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: