Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jupiter80 vs Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phabius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a good time with the Jupiter. Ok, supernatural is very cool. But in my opinion, that's it. That's why I have a Kronos. It's just a matter of "bang for the buck", easy.

And something I can say right now about the Jupiter (?) is:

Where are my knobs and sliders???
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:
Interesting, the JP80 has SuperNatural Modelling employed for Synth sounds. (And a lot of them per the voice list)

That's right, not only does the thing model a triangle wave, you get the nuance of the filter distortions and phase shifts, and just like real analog, tuning shifts around based on modeled temperature fluctuations.

And it adds various noise, buzzes and clicks, and the coolest feature would have to be that it sounds a little different every time you turn it on and no two JP-80's sound the same (at least not at the same time).
Got to get me one of these! Shocked

Huh? Gawd, Does anyone understand what he is saying??

"no two JP-80's sound the same (at least not at the same time)." Confused
Will someone explain to him the Jupiter 80 isnt an analog synth from the 70s..
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
JPWC wrote:
Interesting, the JP80 has SuperNatural Modelling employed for Synth sounds. (And a lot of them per the voice list)

That's right, not only does the thing model a triangle wave, you get the nuance of the filter distortions and phase shifts, and just like real analog, tuning shifts around based on modeled temperature fluctuations.

And it adds various noise, buzzes and clicks, and the coolest feature would have to be that it sounds a little different every time you turn it on and no two JP-80's sound the same (at least not at the same time).
Got to get me one of these! Shocked

Huh? Gawd, Does anyone understand what he is saying??

"no two JP-80's sound the same (at least not at the same time)." Confused
Will someone explain to him the Jupiter 80 isnt an analog synth from the 70s..

I think what he means is that if you have 2 JP-80s using the same registration/liveset/tone, they will sound different because of the different ways they will be played, thanks to SuperNatural.
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh OK.. But thats what Supernatural is supposed to do.. not sound like some standard common tone without a variance? Also if you save what you have as a registration wont it be the same next time you select it?
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Also if you save what you have as a registration wont it be the same next time you select it?"

No way dude, that why they call it SuperNatural, just like my old analog synths, not only the tuning but the timbre changes also, every time you cycle the power, let alone just letting it sit there and slowly change.

Of course this is all make believe, how could it be real, if it were real it would not be SuperNatural.

Feel free to ignor as I don' have a JP-80 (yet!) Crying or Very sad

Sorry if my intent did not come across, I am make fun of calling synth sounds superNatural. Most of the behaviors of analog synths that we lost in the digital world where unwanted, why would we model these behaviors? The artifacts of a filter of course are desirable, but SuperNatural is supposed to make a more "true" emulation of the original device, so if it is a synth, it's got to go out of tune and be somewhat unstable, to be super"Natural".
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
djcactus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:

Most of the behaviors of analog synths that we lost in the digital world where unwanted, why would we model these behaviors? The artifacts of a filter of course are desirable, but SuperNatural is supposed to make a more "true" emulation of the original device, so if it is a synth, it's got to go out of tune and be somewhat unstable, to be super"Natural".

The reason why we stepped into a digital domain was a necessary move to make polyphonic synths that were not just paraphonic synthesis(not the same). To make a true polyphonic analog synth we need for every key to have its own oscillator, its own envelopes, well essentially its own everything. At this point the cost of this analog electronic device has boomed exponentially. Not only have we made one of our favorite things more expensive, weve also made it more unreliable, with all of those components compared to your monophonic one set of electronics per signal path, if something fails and you need maintenance your in for an expensive fix.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan01/articles/synthsec.asp for some lite reading.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm for heavy reading

sorry about the major off topic
Rocness

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPWC wrote:
"
Sorry if my intent did not come across, I am make fun of calling synth sounds superNatural. Most of the behaviors of analog synths that we lost in the digital world where unwanted, why would we model these behaviors? The artifacts of a filter of course are desirable, but SuperNatural is supposed to make a more "true" emulation of the original device, so if it is a synth, it's got to go out of tune and be somewhat unstable, to be super"Natural".
I think Super Natural is what Roland say's it is, just like Karma is what Stephen K say's it is because they created it .
baboon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do i need the jp-80 for pads if i have Omnispere?
Dany

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baboon wrote:

No.

-
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baboon wrote:

The JP80 is a particularly great "pad synth". Its very different than Omnisphere. What you *need* is up to you.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
baboon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
baboon wrote:

The JP80 is a particularly great "pad synth". Its very different than Omnisphere. What you *need* is up to you.

Different?A lot came from roland itselfs on the omnisphere?And the sounds are beautiful.But i hear nothing of the pads of the JP only the acoustic sounds on the web.
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baboon wrote:
RonF wrote:
baboon wrote:

Different?A lot came from roland itselfs on the omnisphere?And the sounds are beautiful.But i hear nothing of the pads of the JP only the acoustic sounds on the web.

The pads are there on the JP-80 and they are excellent; and perhaps more importantly, very easy to create yourself thus having your own unique pads Smile

And of course the JP-80 does so much more than just pads - the acoustics and synths are another huge strength.

But like RonF said - no-one can tell you what you need for your music; only you can determine that - have you tried a JP-80? If not, I recommend that is your next step - but wait until v2.0 is out (on 16th April).

(You might want to allow yourself a few hours though - they will disappear before you know it!)

baboon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pads of the JD-800-990 a lot;perhaps they are on the JP-80 as well?
I like ambient music.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have had my JP-80 for about a month now, This is a great keyboard! It's sounds great, and plays great, I simply love it. It compliments the Kronos very well. It is extremely easy to edit and make splits/layer, pad sounds are not a problem.

As I said in other post, I not really sure what "Super Natural" means, But this is definetly one super keyboard, and I say that in the most natural way.

And of special note, it does not go out of tune like my old analog synth Shocked Rolling Eyes
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baboon wrote:

The JP-80 is a great pad synth. You should check out the review at Great Synthesizers, which also has several audio files of the JP80 pads with the new filters.

http://greatsynthesizers.com/en/test/roland-jupiter-80-metamorphosis-of-a-legend/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 49 of 69

Jump to: