Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie question - sequencing, song mode - am I missing it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spumoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Newbie question - sequencing, song mode - am I missing it? Reply with quote

Hello all:

I'm totally new to the Kronos, and love it so far - but I have a very basic question about sequencing.

From past experience with sequencing equipment, I would always make short 4 bar sequences, then arrange them to play in a certain order creating a song. Once that was done, I could lay tracks over the top of the arranged sequences.

Does the Kronos not work that way?

Thanks.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a feature called 'cue-list' in other products to do this. However it is not in the OASYS or Kronos.

However, there is a much more powerful feature called RPPR that allows you to do this, amongst more complicated arrangement tasks. It works in a similar manner to Ableton's Live product.
There is an excellent video from Korg explaining it (although made for the M3, much of the information and instructions will also be relevant for the OASYS and Kronos), here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH6TqFbskDc
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
spumoni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x-trade - Thanks! This clears things up a lot, but this simply assigns measures or notes to play by pressing an assigned key. I still can't program sequences to play in a certain order, correct?
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we're not understanding exactly what it is you are trying to do?
As X-Trade mentioned about RPPR, these patterns can be copied to any measure within a track. They are not just for playing on a key.

Quote:
I still can't program sequences to play in a certain order, correct?

Are you talking about programing separate songs in order or tracks within a song?

You arrange your patterns linearly where ever you want them. You can also record directly to track and of course copy and paste anywhere in the track.
Doesn't this provide what you are asking? Like I said, maybe we are not getting the question..
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I alluded to this when I mentioned it was like Ableton...

basically one of the cool things you can do here is you should be able to hit record and then 'perform' your arrangement.

You can also use the menus to put or copy pattern to track.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you set a 4 measure loop in the Kronos' sequencer? If so, loop measures 1-4 and lay down your tracks... then loop measures 5-8 etc. Most hardware sequencers I've used allow this.

A pattern mode similar to that found in Yamaha sequencers would be a useful addition to Kronos' sequencer - it's quite similar to Logic's predecessor Creator - and would probably be easy to implement in an update. M3 received some cool updates to its sequencer, so perhaps Kronos will too.
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
spumoni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the responses - this really helps. Sorry if I'm not explaining myself well enough.

Let's say I make a 4 bar sequence with a drum track, bass line and piano. Call that seq1

Then I'd like to copy that, change the drums slightly. Call it seq2.

Then I'd like to copy that, change the bass line slightly, call it seq3... etc.

Next I'd like to place then in order - 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 3, 1 etc... then of course add tracks over that whole arrangement. The totally number of bars would change depending on how many sequences I added.

Does that explain it better? Can RPPR do this?

Thanks again everyone.
rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg Cue List (or Yamaha pattern seq) sounds like what you need, or maybe record lots of RRPRs and fire them off in real time as the boys say. Cool feature.
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spumoni wrote:

Yes, you can do it with RPPR and or recording directly (or a combination of both) to the internal seq.
You can work internally or external. Write your tracks, copy, paste, add tracks on top of it all and so much more.

This is how we write music and record in general and it can all be done with what you have.
I'm sorry but this is all very 101, perhaps I still don't understand? (I'm hoping that helped..) Smile
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spumoni wrote:
Wow, thanks for all the responses - this really helps. Sorry if I'm not explaining myself well enough.

Let's say I make a 4 bar sequence with a drum track, bass line and piano. Call that seq1

Next I'd like to place then in order - 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, 3, 1 etc... then of course add tracks over that whole arrangement. The totally number of bars would change depending on how many sequences I added.

Thanks again everyone.

Your method of working would be more suited to an Akai MPC or Roland MV Sequencer

RPPR on the Korgs can only fire off single patterns of a track not multi track/Channel/Tracks from a single key,in order to accomplish this with RPPR you need to fire off several keys at the same time with the individual instruments Patterns.
so you would have to assign a drum loop to one key,bass to another Piano to another etc ,in order to have different arrangemenets i.e seq 1 seq 2 you would need many keys for each seq
it can be a little bit messy trying to recall where different patterns are assigned in order to trigger different patterns in certain sections of your song but you could happily do it and say assign 1 octave of keys to your first seq the next octave of keys contains all your patterns for the second sequence

with an MPC your able to create multitrack patterns,i.e seq 1/Seq 2 etc and use a pad to fire off those Patterns on a single pad made up of many tracks and channels you can then chain those patterns to create a sequence or trigger them live,I work in this manner as its easy to figure out an arrangement before commiting to a given structure,and easy to change the structure if you need to change the arrangement of a song for another purpose or different mix this is how i used to use cue list in the Triton but they dropped it on Oasys so now use an MPC for this
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:
spumoni wrote:

Thanks again everyone.

Your method of working would be more suited to an Akai MPC or Roland MV Sequencer

RPPR on the Korgs can only fire off single patterns of a track not multi track/Channel/Tracks from a single key,in order to accomplish this with RPPR you need to fire off several keys at the same time with the individual instruments Patterns.
so you would have to assign a drum loop to one key,bass to another Piano to another etc ,in order to have different arrangemenets i.e seq 1 seq 2 you would need many keys for each seq
it can be a little bit messy trying to recall where different patterns are assigned in order to trigger different patterns in certain sections of your song but you could happily do it and say assign 1 octave of keys to your first seq the next octave of keys contains all your patterns for the second sequence

with an MPC your able to create multitrack patterns,i.e seq 1/Seq 2 etc and use a pad to fire off those Patterns on a single pad made up of many tracks and channels you can then chain those patterns to create a sequence or trigger them live,I work in this manner as its easy to figure out an arrangement before commiting to a given structure,and easy to change the structure if you need to change the arrangement of a song for another purpose or different mix this is how i used to use cue list in the Triton but they dropped it on Oasys so now use an MPC for this

the rppr feature can actually trigger multiple patterns at one time... you just assign the different patterns to the different keys and then you play that "chord"....notes that make up all the patterns that you want to trigger....

make sense? or if you do have an m3, you can assign all the notes that trigger your patterns to one pad (chord assign) then when you hit that pad....BAMM!!!! all the patterns are triggered simultaneously! !!!!!

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also nothing stopping you going back and dubbing different parts in, or arranging your RPPR patterns logically across the keyboard - for example an octave for bass, an octave for drums, etc. base pattern on the C, and variations successively more complex on the next 11 keys.

It only really gets messy when you want to use RPPR for live performance as it restricts the keys you can use. It's perfectly viable in the studio though

Setting up the chord triggers for different parts of the song is a good trick.

And again, there is always the option to 'put pattern to track', rather than assigning it to a key. . If you're working with variations on different sections then RPPR is a very powerful tool.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I love about this forum....

Someone posts a Query,

a few people answer the Query with solutions,

Someone else posts an alternative method to those first solutions and it racks the minds of those others

So they dig a little deeper and challenge the motion

Its good that even when there are some ideas to get on with,it makes people think a little bit deeper each time and bring more and more to the table

I wish I had access to a forum like this whilst I was learning these machines in the early days,Like most others I had to figure out much of how to use these synths by getting my hands dirty

You kind of underestimate how much of a treasure trove of Info this forum is/becomes,I bet the "Tech support" guys at Korg love the workload this forum has taken off them,makes there job so much easier Laughing

The suggestion of using the pads to trigger several notes from RPPR assignments,I'll have to try that method,thanks...the only issue and what restricts myself from using this alternative methods for triggering sections/Arrangements is that your limited to 8 pads,and restricting if you like to work live.

I had mentioned in another thread a wishlist upgrade for the OS for the pads on the Oasys to use these notes triggers to also have "Banks" of pads Like the MPC,having 8 triggers is limiting if you have more than 8 sections in your arrangement,its a solution but you have to make compromises.

Nothing to stop you assigning the rest of the notes(RPPR) to other sections on the keyboard if this method works,there are workarounds but It not the way I prefer to work too much prep work to setup when there are easier workflows on other machine designed for that purpose and having to remember where everything is live could be a little tricky at times when you draw a blank

if its possible to do this on the pads as an upgrade then each Pad has a bank of 8 using a shift or function button to allow it to access banks too, giving you a matrix of 8x8 and access to 64 pad triggers(or more if they allowed it)I also suggested these pads could be used as a Roland TR or Korg Electribe way of inputting drum notes,these are a few things I'd like to see as improvements in the sequencer to be more refined,the pads could have been a window of opportunity for Korg to make loads of great functions for the Kronos/Oasys,especially as in the Kronos they have added a great feature with the smooth transitioning in Live sets anyone who understands or has used the Fantom G pad modes would see how much they could be useful with an upgrade in the Kronos for live use
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: