Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24 hours with Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: 24 hours with Kronos Reply with quote

I got my Kronos last night. Have spent 10 hours working with it. Although I am just getting into it, there are a few things that are obvious:

(1) SOUNDS AND ENGINES - the sonic quality excellent, especially the digital to analog conversion. I have a Triton Studio88; comparing it to the Kronos is like comparing a 1080p 3D TV to a 720p TV. The clarity, depth and presence is remarkable. KARMA - haven't gone there yet, too much sequencer and programming work to do before I start experimenting.

(2) EFFECTS - very high quality and functional; especially the mastering total effects. They essentially allow you to take a home studio rack of gear with you to the gig. I am just applying the basic setups with them now, but in the end I suspect that it will be better than what I have found so far.

(3) SEQUENCER - I know a lot of people on this forum have complained about he sequencer. My gig is trio - all sequenced (over 200 songs) with live electronic drums and the keyboard parts I play. I transferred 2 sequences in 2 hours. Its easy to use and completely integrated. Only drawback is number of tracks (not counting the audio which I don't like using). Its no software sequencer, but its good enough play 80% of the parts that we play in music we do without missing a beat.

(4) HARDWARE - It seems sturdy enough for me, but I am easy on gear. I don't like the elongated and smallish buttons (personal preference). The joystick, vector control, data wheel, knobs and sliders all seem robust enough and are smooth.

(5) TOUCH SCREEN - The screen has very good resolution and can be viewed from about 40 degrees without much loss of clarity. The font is small - had to get 2X reading glasses to read it; also found it better to use a stylus rather than a finger. I knew this would be the case and was prepared before I bought it.

(6) OS 1.5.0 - It came out the same day my unit was delivered. I downloaded and installed it this morning. I did not experience any problems before (last night) and none since (today)?

(7) KEYBED - I got the 61 because (a) I really did not like the feel of the RH3 more than the RH2 on my Triton and (b) too many people have been having problems with it. SIDEBAR - Before the Triton I always used both weighted and unweigheted keyboards to gig with. The Kronos 61 keybed is very accurate and solid. Honestly, I was not sure how this was going to work out, but after only one day I am comfortable with it and am glad to have both keybed types again.

From this point on, I will be concentrating on figuring this thing out and will participate in and contribute to the threads on this forum that address and speak to that issue. If you have a Kronos the best thing you can do now is join in and work with it. If you don't, than the best thing you can do is figure out if you are going to get one - or not.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear the Kronos works well and you like it.

Btw, I don't use a stylus and most of the times I click correctly (with my finger). It's a matter of getting used to (although it's just a bit harder to hit correctly than on an M3/M50 or Triton).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice review~!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: