Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General MicroStation MIDI help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dratheus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: General MicroStation MIDI help Reply with quote

So I've had my Korg MicroStation for about a year now, and I've been using it for basically just playing. In the past I've used rather shoddy methods of recording onto my PC, but not with MIDI.

So I went out and bought myself an E-MU 1x1 Xmidi Tab MIDI>USB cable. And that's about where anything pleasant ends.

I've been trying to use my Korg with FL Studio 8 XXL, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to register at all with the program. Yes, the Korg shows up under MIDI options, but I can't DO anything with it. Only today, I discovered the cord I bought needed a driver, so I installed that, but it hasn't helped. I even tried just using the Korg MicroStation sound editing program, but that does the same thing: "registers" the keyboard (or the EMU cord at any rate), but won't let me DO anything with it.

Any help would be appreciated! Smile
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the first step is returning that cable you bought and getting just an ordinary UBS 2.0 printer type cable that looks like this:

You can typically find them new in any electronics department for about $10 USD, but if there's any local thrift stores nearby, check them out since they usually have tons of these piled in a bin of cables for a dollar or two.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
Dratheus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those as well, actually. Also hooked up. (Stole it from a printer before getting the MIDI/USB cable.)

With the USB 2.0 cable, the programs didn't really read the keyboard at all.
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the next step would be using just the UBS cord and checking to see if the stand-alone MS editor works with the keyboard. In regards to the cable, the MS can transmit MIDI through it's UBS port, so a MIDI to USB cable isn't necessary.

If the editor still isn't working with just the USB cord, then it's likely a driver issue. Korg has updated drivers on their website, as well as an updated version of the editor. You can also initialize the entire MS operating system, but this will wipe out every patch and and you'd have to load this preset file back into it once you get the editor working.

If it is working with just the editor, then the problem is with how things are set up on FL Studio 8 XXL. I have no experience with that program, so you'd have to ask around in another forum.

Also, if you're hooking things up and expecting to hear the MS's audio from your computer speakers, then that's an entirely different issue which you can read about here...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50987
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting that the Korg driver installation is a little strange. You have to install, which puts the drivers on the system, THEN run the Korg utility from your start menu in order to force windows to actually use the drivers.

Otherwise you are not actually using the drivers.

Additionally, in the editor software you will have to go into Preferences and choose the correct MIDI port settings for it to work.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Dratheus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i figured it out. Apparently, the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT plugs go to the MIDI OUT and MIDI IN plug ins respectively :/ I dunno if that's n00bish of me, but oh well...

Least it works now. I just have to learn how to USE everything, in the Editor and in FL 8. XD

Thanks for the help and input though! Smile
X-Trade

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's pretty standard.

Some interfaces have confusingly put it the other way around. But generally midi comes OUT of something IN to something else (in this case, the computer and the keyboard).

Still, you should use the built in USB if you can get it to work because it is literally 10x faster, which can make a lot of difference when transferring banks of patches.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSTATION. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: