Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very very first impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Thanks Michel and DennyC.

Seems wrong with the boot time etc to just turn it off so abruptly.
Feels like it should have a shut down sequence, a bit more drama.

Not that I'll be turning it off for a while yet.

(please don't tell me there's a shut down sequence)

Shutting down on a PC is a lengthy affair becaise of the interaction of the OS with the Hard Disk during ordinary operation. The Kronos OS does not interact with the Hard DIsk unless audio recording or writing/reading files to/from disk. So as long as you're not doing that, there are no issues (and of course if you power it off during a write/read you'll corrupt the write/read) .
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KRONOS is designed to not need a shutdown process. It uses a journaling file system, ext3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext3

Note that any action which is persistent across power cycles, such as writing a Program or changing KSC auto-load settings, is written to disk. After making such a change, it's best to wait 15 seconds or so before turning off the power.

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Dan's post does dovetail and emphasize the point that I brought up in an earlier post on this thread. The Kronos(like the Oasys) is a very sophisticated and electrically sensitive device; more complicated than most boards. My contention is that to provide a UPS system or an isolation transformer, becomes almost a mandatory move if you want to protect your investment from any kind of catastrophic electrical event(power surge, sag, or outage. I do appreciate the advice from a lot of members here who are very creative, skilled, and savy in all the operational matters. However, IMHO, electically protecting your Kronos is something that should be definitely consider as almost a elementary precaution. I hope Dan would respond on this point. Smile
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennyC wrote:
I believe that Dan's post does dovetail and emphasize the point that I brought up in an earlier post on this thread. The Kronos(like the Oasys) is a very sophisticated and electrically sensitive device; more complicated than most boards. My contention is that to provide a UPS system or an isolation transformer, becomes almost a mandatory move if you want to protect your investment from any kind of catastrophic electrical event(power surge, sag, or outage. I do appreciate the advice from a lot of members here who are very creative, skilled, and savy in all the operational matters. However, IMHO, electically protecting your Kronos is something that should be definitely consider as almost a elementary precaution. I hope Dan would respond on this point. Smile

As described in the cited articles, the journaling file system protects against corruption if the system shuts down unexpectedly. So, a UPS would not be necessary for protection from this.

I certainly think that protection against surges is a good thing, but I don't regard the KRONOS as any more delicate than the other electronic gear in my studio. I have used power protection for my entire studio for quite some time. A UPS, on the other hand, would certainly be good with many keyboards (including the KRONOS) to protect against unexpected outages when playing live.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
DennyC wrote:

As described in the cited articles, the journaling file system protects against corruption if the system shuts down unexpectedly. So, a UPS would not be necessary for protection from this.

I certainly think that protection against surges is a good thing, but I don't regard the KRONOS as any more delicate than the other electronic gear in my studio. I have used power protection for my entire studio for quite some time. A UPS, on the other hand, would certainly be good with many keyboards (including the KRONOS) to protect against unexpected outages when playing live.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Thanks ... yes this helps.

There have been quite some discussions about using a UPS or not ... of course the 2 min delay when gigging is not really 'positive' but if it is safe when the power goes down, I'm not going to drag a UPS with me all times only for those 1 time every few years the power goes down.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record.

I've hammered my Kronos today. It just gets better and better.
It's not a stranger anymore. It's my best friend. I'm used to the screen.

Tip, don't cut your nails on your prodding finger. A good fingernail works wonders.

The forum has been a great help with a few head scratching moments. Cheers

Any body know a good marriage guidance office? Wink
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
danatkorg wrote:
DennyC wrote:

Hope this helps,

Dan

Thanks ... yes this helps.

There have been quite some discussions about using a UPS or not ... of course the 2 min delay when gigging is not really 'positive' but if it is safe when the power goes down, I'm not going to drag a UPS with me all times only for those 1 time every few years the power goes down.

Congratulations Michel on finally getting yours. The UPS I am using is approximately the size of a couple of wahs. It isn't that large, the APS is larger. The advantages are what I'd described earlier: no surprise outages, even if momentary ones that would make the Kronos load up from scratch; as well as surge and sag protection.

Dan, If it is not really necessary for a UPS as the Kronos is as stable as most keyboards, why did you say that certain functions need 15 seconds of stability before you should start a shut down? If you are in your home studio which could entail a 2-4 hour session, or doing a live set 45 min or so, these outages seem random and unpredictable. I've had outages when it is sunny as well as during heavy storm conditions....or if you're performing--someone trips over a power cable.
Smile
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already played one gig that had several power outages in the short time I've had the K, so the UPS I bought has already been worth it!
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keyplayer14 wrote:
I've already played one gig that had several power outages in the short time I've had the K, so the UPS I bought has already been worth it!

Preparation is a great asset! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: