Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Op manual Ia a lot of reading?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Op manual Ia a lot of reading? Reply with quote

Just a simple question I hope. I use a RNP for my mic and acoustic quotas into a presonus firebox, the old FireWire interface. Am I safe in assuming the Kronos will replace my firebox completely? I also ran my XOR out from my samll tube amps into the fire box. Will the Kronos be ok handling these tasks and do it well? The pres of the fire box were veery good and it worked well with my Mac even if it was a bit quirky on starting it up. Thanks for any help guys/gals. This would be one item to actually sway me away from another choice.
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a mic, you will still need a separate pre-amp with the Kronos. There are no XLR inputs, only 1/4" TRS. I suppose you could use a cable adapter (xlr to trs), though.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a mic preamp, just not an XLR connector. It should work fine if you get a mic cable with a jack (TRS or even TS) connector. The only thing it doesn't do that most conventional mic preamps do, is supply phantom power. So you can only plug in a regular dynamic mic (like Shure SM58 or Sennheiser E845).
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a RNP ( really nice preamplifier ) for my mics and guitars. I think it will be nice to do away with another box in my chain.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the idea of cutting out unnecessary gear in the chain, and I'm all for that, but your vocal should be a priority.
This is something that you will have to go through the hoops with. I don't think anyone can give you what you want to hear?
I'm not quite sure of the flexibility Kronos will provide, if you are use to working a certain way with a dedicated audio interface. JMO
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all! Lou I have thought of it and I think you are right.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out..
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does a RNP have to do with the operations manual?

I have a RPN calculator.

I've read the Op manual. and reference the parameter guide, which took an hour to print out.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNP is a preamp I use. I prefer it for my mic and acoustic guitar then it is routed to the firebox. I was naming it to show the limited chain I use. I was only curious if the Kronos would be able to replace the firebox and handle the input form an external preamp. Not having one yet I do not know what or if the input has a good pre. That's all it has to do with it. If you are interested it is by FMR audio.

About the beginning of March will be my time for a Kronos! Counting the days!
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bertotti, I checked it out, after see the picture, seems I read about this in SOS a while back.

I have all ran my M3 through the inputs on the Kronos, it worked well, as I believe it would with any preamp or line signal.

I would not expect to replace the mic preamp with the Kronos, while it would work just fine, the nuance and dynamic range/gain would not give the same level of performance.

I use presonus or dbx386in my studio for a little extra performance (sound) on microphones, when it does not matter that much I just use the preamps in my Mackie 8 bus or even the preamps on the Korg D3200.

Of course the noticeable performance, also requires a good, sensitive microphone, and a good source to record. (ie using an SM58 will sound about the same no matter what you use, but the U87 sound & performance very differently depending on the preamp)

ps. why did you title this thread with a totally off topic subject?
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: