Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My next keyboard - what do you think folks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: My next keyboard - what do you think folks? Reply with quote

All I need is 'as much I can get' with some 'no compromise' features, help me select please...!

. Good Acc Piano and EP sounds, onboard preferred
. Good weighted keyboard
. Low weight for portability (<30KG shipping weight)
. Other Acc and Synth sounds - a plus but not a must
. Sequencer - doesn't bother me as I use software seq
. Inspiration - preferred
. Cost - not an issue if the need is satisfied

Leaving the Kronos out after 2 failed attempts, I could think of the following options:

a. NORD Stage 2 + MBP and KOMPLETE 8
b. RD700NX + MBP and KOMPLETE 8
c. CP1 + MBP and KOMPLETE 8
d. Doepfer LMK2+ + MBP and KOMPLETE 8

I may not get an opportunity to try out all these keyboard hence need your opinion! Any thoughts folks?
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kron,

Have you considered Kurzweil? The only problem would be that the 88 key would be a bit heavy though not as heave as a Roland Fantom X or G. While the pianos aren't quite Kronos, they are pretty good. The synth engine in Kurzweil's is incredibly deep. Technically, the DSP algorithms are really a large collection of different types of synthesis. I actually prefer the Kurzweil sequencer over the Kronos, though neither is as easy as Fantom X8.

The UI on a Kurzweil is tough but Sound Tower has a free editor for download.

Kurzweil programs are insanely deep with up to 32 layers just in program mode! And EACH layer has its own DSP block(s) and you can roll your own as well.

The tricky bit with Kurzweil (and through this I am speaking of the PC3 series) is that you have a relatively small sample set by today's standards, but, what you can DO with that set through creative programming hold up VERY well. The downside to Kurzweil is that repair centers and dealers are hard to find. In my state there is only ONE Kurzweil dealer for example.

I have owned two different models of Kurzweil: the K2000 and the PC3X and neither has ever let me down.

Just a few thoughts brother!

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: I am so sorry that you have had bad luck with Kronos. Have you considered a 61 and control it with an 88 key controller? I have had no QC issues at all with the 61 key version and it seems after reading a lot of posts here that the problems are more frequent in the 73 and as you sadly know the 88 key model.
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Nord Stage (classic, rev C) but it's a very different animal than the Kronos. You do mention not minding too much about a large variety of "other" synth and acoustic sounds and the lack of those (and sampling) would be a major reason for me to dissuade you getting one.

The piano... I have a love/hate relationship with it. Try it for at least an hour before getting it, I say. They have different downloadable ones online but the stock ones give you a good image. The EPs are good but I prefer the Kronos by a fair margin. What is awesome however is how quickly and easily you can tweak the fx on them. Kronos can't compete, partly because it's more comprehensive of course. And of course, there is no drum track, no karma, no nothing, so if you're into jamming by yourself it's not as inspiring.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say CP1 or 700NX with Komplete 8.

I had the CP1.... Best action out there IMO and the EPs are fantastic. Pianos have a typical Yamaha sound so if you are looking for something darker they may not be for you. I completely regret selling my CP1.

The 700NX is also a great stage piano. The SN pianos are the best out there IMO and the action is superb. The EPs aren't my favorite but there are plenty of parameters to modify the sound.

Although I prefer the action and EPs on the CP1, I think the 700NX will give you the better value. You may consider the Kawai MP10 if you want a superb graded action coupled with quality sounds. Outside of the Yamaha Ns, I feel the Kawai action is the closest to replicating a piano action.

I also have Komplete 8 on a robust MacBook setup.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kron,

KOMPLETE 8 seems to be on all your candidates. If you've used it and are comfortable with it, why not go with that as your main sound source?

KOMPLETE 8 has, I think, at least 2 great grand pianos (3 with the upright), dozens more with the rompler functions of the included engines (including FM). If lightweight is your goal, I'd think a no-sound master controller would be the best option.

The money saved by not buying a full synth as a controller could go toward a firewire interface or digital mixer to keep the signal path clean and fast.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say get a kronos.

Oh wait you were just being a troll...my bad.
vince66

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Vlad. My first Kurz was a K2661 and now I'm hooked. I've currently got the PC3 and am due to change that for a PC3K7 when I can get one. While the Kronos has the incredible depth of sound and is just massive sounding, the Kurz always seems to sit well in a mix and is excellent for live. I have mine controlling a Virus Ti2 (and a Microkorg XL) - changing all the patches for me and with the ability to switch zones in and out by the front panel or foot switches, these zones can be doubled or silent (so only control layers). This and the quality of the sound in a live setting make Kurz owners keep their boards.
On the subject of software - although not Apple, I used to use a Muse Receptor and then an Open Labs Neko Lx. While others rave about them I had nothing but hassle and would never go down that route again if I could avoid it - yes I know the Kronos is basically a linux box etc etc, before any flames start - this is an opinion after all and we are all entitled to them.
Very Happy

Vlad_77 wrote:
Kron,

Have you considered Kurzweil?
Kurzweil programs are insanely deep with up to 32 layers just in program mode! And EACH layer has its own DSP block(s) and you can roll your own as well.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kron, I'm not sure why not a Kronos 73 key but have you considered a Korg SV-1? After reviewing your needs it seems to be the right one to me.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: