Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too 'Old' to read the Screen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What age bracket to you fit into?
Less than 20
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
20 to 30
12%
 12%  [ 18 ]
30 to 40
24%
 24%  [ 34 ]
40 to 50
26%
 26%  [ 37 ]
50 to 60
27%
 27%  [ 39 ]
60 to 70
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
70 plus
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 140

sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
Once again, you're logic is flawed. No matter what age, or eye condition someone has, if they wear suitable corrective glasses then they should have no more problem reading the screen than a very much younger person who has no need for glasses.

Working on your logic, computers, iphones, ipads etc are 'for the young'. So Bill gates should give up using them now!

Panrix, you take everything out of context trying to be cute...... Unlike an Iphone, Ipad, TV or Computer screen, that you read directly in front of you.... the Kronos screen doesnt face you...its on an angle (keyword here Panrix) from your normal line of vision!!.

Who knows, Maybe you enjoy watching TV sitting down with the screen lying flat on the floor? Shocked

mikesny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is obvious: Korg needs to include a voice synthesizer to read the screen to us vision-challenged seniors! Very Happy
panrixx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
Therefore.. Flash was correct in his observations.... that the Kronos is a keyboard for the 'young' - suggesting the 'old' may have problems reading the screen.

panrixx wrote:
Once again, you're logic is flawed. No matter what age, or eye condition someone has, if they wear suitable corrective glasses then they should have no more problem reading the screen than a very much younger person who has no need for glasses.

You seem to have conveniently overlooked the main point of my reply. Also, I see very few people holding their phones, tablets, etc., upto their face in order to have a straight line of sight.

Last edited by panrixx on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

Panrix, you take everything out of context trying to be cute...... Unlike an Iphone, Ipad, TV or Computer screen, that you read directly in front of you.... the Kronos screen doesnt face you...its on an angle (keyword here Panrix) from your normal line of vision!!.

Who knows, Maybe you enjoy watching TV sitting down with the screen lying flat on the floor? Shocked

But the viewing angle on Kronos is actually pretty wide....selecting items is more of a problem when you're off axis, but nothing that you don't easily get the hang of with a little use.....oh yeah, you gave up......shame....
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikesny wrote:
The solution is obvious: Korg needs to include a voice synthesizer to read the screen to us vision-challenged seniors! Very Happy

Would it help if you can do all programming with the editor (which will be released before the end of the year?) and do the actual playing with a small screen?

I assume the patch names are in bigger format.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sparkie
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrixx wrote:
sparkie wrote:
Therefore.. Flash was correct in his observations.... that the Kronos is a keyboard for the 'young' - suggesting the 'old' may have problems reading the screen.

panrixx wrote:

You seem to have conveniently overlooked the main point of my reply. Also, I see very few people holding their phones, tablets, etc., upto their face in order to have a straight line of sight.

Answer this, as the Kronos is a workstation.
A) So with the Kronos laying flat on a table "untilted", with you seated in front. Can you select tabs, menus, edit the screen comfortably and all the parameters.. "WITHOUT" leaning over, straining your back, neck or eyes? And do it for a few hours nonstop?
B) Is the Kronos screen harder to see than the M50, PA3x, Oasys, or M3?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:
panrixx wrote:
sparkie wrote:

panrixx wrote:

A) So with the Kronos laying flat on a table "untilted", with you seated in front. Can you select tabs, menus, edit the screen comfortably and all the parameters.. "WITHOUT" leaning over, straining your back, neck or eyes? And do it for a few hours nonstop?

I have played on a Kronos for about 1,5 hours, and did not notice too much difference ... it was a smaller font, but I did not notice myself of leaning forward (though might be necessary if eyes are less good; I wear contact lenses btw).

But on the other hand, how often do you edit menus etc for continuous times ... You go to another patch and start playing ... normally I don't look at the screen when I'm playing.

When editing, it's another story, but I assume the editor will make life easier (editing can be done on a computer with a big screen). So the problem will probably solve itself.

Only for those who have problems reading the patch names will keep the problem but even then you can lean forward for a sec and then start playing without looking at the screen.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
panrixx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkie wrote:

A) Yes, but I might be at a slight advantage as I'm 6' 3" tall. I know I'm sitting down but my height is not just due to my legs. My K88 is flat on a single teir stand and the seat is adjusted for playing comfort.

Also, in a two hour period I would hope to be playing for a large part of the time. Two hours of twiddling would get a bit boring (it's a musical instrument first and a computer interface second).

B) Irrelevant, as my answer to (A) is yes.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51 (and feeling every year of it), my reading glasses are +1.75 and I can see the screen very clearly... However, I have hands like shovels and find it frustrating poking at TINY buttons. I'm also very tall and the constant leaning over the screen knots my shoulders up Rolling Eyes

An angled capacitive touch screen would have been a far better choice, but I'm learning to live with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: