Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PCG Tools for Korg M3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: PCG Tools for Korg M3 Reply with quote

For those who have followed the Korg Kronos or Korg Oasys threads, may know I have been busy with an app for getting information out of PCG files.

What can it do with these files:
- show a list per program, where it is used (in which combis/set list slots)
- show a list per combi, which programs are used
- sorting programs alphabetically
- sorting combis alphabetically
- sorting set lists alphabetically

The new version supports M3 files.

For more information see the main thread:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63765

The application is FREE. Anybody interested, send a PM with your email address so I can send it.

Also if you have tips, improvements, remarks etc let me know.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me for what's maybe a stupid question, but does your app actually sort the combis/programs IN the PCG files, or does it only sort the output list of your app?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Excuse me for what's maybe a stupid question, but does your app actually sort the combis/programs IN the PCG files, or does it only sort the output list of your app?

There are no stupid questions.

My app does NOT change the PCG file; it only generates lists that can be read in e.g. notepad or can be printed out (or a CSV file that can be loaded by a spreadsheet).
In my signature is a link to the main topic of the App and there are some examples.

I wonder if people would like to have their PCG sorted but maybe it's a good idea.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mainly I figured if you were already that far (moving sounds around inside the PCG) it would only be a very small step to create the combi/program dependency that people so desperately want.
Sorting could be useful, mainly if you have a lot of big backup banks on your disk and you're looking for a specific sound. This since we can't browse the pcgs on disk by category.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
Well mainly I figured if you were already that far (moving sounds around inside the PCG) it would only be a very small step to create the combi/program dependency that people so desperately want.
Sorting could be useful, mainly if you have a lot of big backup banks on your disk and you're looking for a specific sound. This since we can't browse the pcgs on disk by category.

I hope to be able to make a simple librarian with combi/program dependency later but for now I concentrate on generating lists to help people sorting out their PCGs.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.1.5.62 14-Aug-2011
Feature: All lists can be generated in XML format.
Improv: Output file can be set (and opened by connected application)
Improv: Screen layout changed.
Bug fix: CSV File format improved (can handle commas in names of patches)
Bug fix: If the PCG file cannot be read, the app does not crash but gives a message box.

I also spent time for making a command line interface (passing arguments instead of a GUI), but this cannot be published on the usual way. If somebody wants that version, please let me know and I will send it.

See the link in my signature for all details about the app.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it is time for another update. This time as promised something for everybody (not supporting more synth models this time).

This time differences lists are added. Some fragments look as follows:

Code:

Program I-A074
 6 Diffs: U-E062
Program U-A000
 6 Diffs: U-A001
 7 Diffs: U-A002
Set List Slot 000/024
 4 Diffs: 000/027
 8 Diffs: 000/025
 25 Diffs: 000/029
Set List Slot 000/030
 24 Diffs: 000/031

This list shows for every program, combi and set list their similar patches. You can define how many bytes a patch should differ maximally and you can select to ignore patch names and ignore descriptions (for set list slots). Of course most usual options apply (like selecting which program, combi banks and set lists to take into account) and output is in text, CSV or XML.

Some ideas to use this lists for:
- you have once copied programs or combis but you are forgotten where you copied them from (or you want to have a list of them)
- you can check if someone just copied patches with small differences or if it are real new patches
- you want to know which patches are equal or similar.

However, take into account that one byte difference can make a very big difference, it depends on the parameter but this is almost impossible to automate.

0.1.6.64 18-Aug-2001
Feature: Differences List.
Improv: Changed parameters in command line interface.

mohali12

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: thanks sir for your big efforts Reply with quote

Hi, read about the latest pcg tool version that supports M3 and i am happy with this news fro you michelkeijzers and i sent you a PM to provide me this nice tool.

Best Regards Smile

Mohammad
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks sir for your big efforts Reply with quote

mohali12 wrote:
Hi, read about the latest pcg tool version that supports M3 and i am happy with this news fro you michelkeijzers and i sent you a PM to provide me this nice tool.

Best Regards Smile

Mohammad

Hello Mohammed,
I already sent the latest version.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been some time ago I updated PCG Tools. Reasons where:
- vacation (away from computer)
- thinking about what to create next
- checksum for Kronos PCG files

With some help of others (thanks), I have managed to be able not only generate lists (existing functionality), but also:

PATCH LISTS ON GUI: All patches are shown on the GUI. This makes it possible to select them to perform actions like:

EDIT PROGRAM NAMES: From now on you can edit names of any program in a PCG file.

EDIT COMBI NAMES: Same but for combination names.

EDIT SET LIST NAMES: Same but for set lists.

EDIT SET LIST DESCRIPTIONS: Tired of editing those (max) 512 characters in the Kronos: do it from a normal keyboard instead!

Much more features will be added (hopefully) soon.

Update involves:
0.2.0.75 3-Sep-2011
Feature: Show banks with programs, combis and set list slots on GUI.
Feature: Ability to change names of Programs, Combis and Set List Slots.
Feature: Ability to change descriptions of Set List Slots.
Improv: CHanged text "Kronos PCG File Name" to "PCG File Name.
Bug Fix: Default settings/enabling of UI checkboxes for filtering on text.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new version is released.

EASY MOVING OF PROGRAMS AND COMBIS WITHIN A BANK
When programs are moved, automatically the combis using those programs will be fixed.

Furthermore, some fixes have been done. See details below for the full change list.

Code:

0.2.1.78     7-Sep-2011 Feature: Moving programs, combis, set list slots up and down with automatic reference updating.
            10-Sep-2011 Support: Support for Korg Triton (Classic), Triton Rack, Triton Le, Triton Le88, Triton Studio,
                                 Triton TR 61/76/88.
                        Support: Support for Korg Karma.
                        Bug Fix: Fixed reading of Korg Triton PCGs with MOSS programs.

Yatrix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michel , from one hand congratulations,
from another hand, let me ask if you really tested that feature:
Quote:
When programs are moved, automatically the combis using those programs will be fixed.

Are you really sure on quality?
As for M50 case - I can believe in quick implementation, but for M3 and above (and BTW for Triton/Karma )you have to be able to proccess much more complex conditions. And if any bugs ...that may cause certain problems to users...Right ?
Documentation included in setup.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: PCG Tools 0.2.2.80 Reply with quote

A new version of PCG Tools. Loading multiple PCGs is a job I will do (much) later, but there is a new features and some improvements: some buttons have been replaced by a menu and toolbar to make space for future additions easier and to have a bit more professional look.

And now it's possible to select MULTIPLE programs, combis or set list slots to move up and down inside a bank.

Also some small bug fixes. Below is the complete list.

Code:

0.2.2.80    12-Sep-2011 Feature: Select multiple programs and combis for moving up/down.
                        Improv:  Added menu and moved buttons to menu.
                        Improv:  Added About window.
                        Improv:  Show set lists that have changed names or with non default set list slots (-> I-A000)
                        Improv:  Changed warning text for Differences List.
                        Bug Fix: Fixed exception in Differences list with 'To' option in set lists filtering.
                        Bug Fix: Fixed Initial Programs radio button selected when only set lists contained in PCG.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatrix wrote:
Michel , from one hand congratulations,
from another hand, let me ask if you really tested that feature:
Quote:

As for M50 case - I can believe in quick implementation, but for M3 and above (and BTW for Triton/Karma )you have to be able to proccess much more complex conditions. And if any bugs ...that may cause certain problems to users...Right ?

Hi Yatrix, sorry I forgot to answer this post. I don't see a difference in M50 or M3 ... both have the same program/combi structure. So I am really curious about what complex conditions you are referring to.

Triton are even older and also have a similar structure, so I guess Karma has nothing to do with it.

Only for Kronos it is a bit more complex, because moving programs affect both combis and set list slots and moving combis affect set list slots. But it is tested by people owning a Kronos.

My design is fully OO and while no design is perfect, I have a complete hierarchy of classes and only have to program the differences between models. That is why I can support quite some models in a reasonable amount of time.

Bugs might cause problems, that's why the advice is always make a backup.

More than 50 users have my app now and I haven't got a serious issue. The biggest bug was a PCG that could not be read but that was fixed easily. So as far as I know I only have 'happy' users.

McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatrix wrote:
As for M50 case - I can believe in quick implementation, but for M3 and above (and BTW for Triton/Karma )you have to be able to proccess much more complex conditions.

Yatrix,

So far, I've tested the software against the Triton, M50, M3, and Kronos. I've had no issues so far and I've tested specifically for that.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: