Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton in Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahmed Jaber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Triton in Kronos Reply with quote

Hi Forums
I have many fine and good sounds in my old Triton Extreme.
Now i will purches a Kronos,so can i load all my old extreme sounds to the Kronos.
Thanks
Regards Rolling Eyes [/b]
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Triton in Kronos Reply with quote

Ahmed Jaber wrote:
Now i will purches a Kronos,so can i load all my old extreme sounds to the Kronos.

No, that is not possible as the Kronos uses totally different synth engines than the Triton.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider it as a good reason to find newer/better/different sounds.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is not possible to "load" Triton sounds....it is most certainly possible to "re-create" your Triton sounds....and the resulting creations should exceed the Triton version in quality and depth. Not only the Kronos overall sound quality, but better/more effects, and plenty of new control and modulation options. All in all...I would view this as FUN.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who just purchased a KORG Pa3X. First thing he did with it was to load everything from his Pa1X into the Pa3X.
Now his new keyboard sounds almost the same as his old.

Regards
Sharp.
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Triton in Kronos Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
No, that is not possible as the Kronos uses totally different synth engines than the Triton.

It's not "totally different" at all, as all of the Triton synth parameters are present and almost all of Triton's samples are in Kronos ROMs.
Making a reasonably accurate Triton to Kronos converter is possible, the only problem is that no one had time to do it yet.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Triton in Kronos Reply with quote

Megakazbek wrote:
Making a reasonably accurate Triton to Kronos converter is possible, the only problem is that no one had time to do it yet.

Many of us are still waiting for a Triton to M3 conversion utility.

Laughing
Ahmed Jaber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers.
But i don't mean the original Triton sounds that came with it from industry,but if i have a PCG files or moss sounds (loaded in usb),can i down load this pcg files that have a many good sounds to the Kronos?
Thanks again.
Jon Lord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmed Jaber wrote:
Thanks for your answers.
But i don't mean the original Triton sounds that came with it from industry,but if i have a PCG files or moss sounds (loaded in usb),can i down load this pcg files that have a many good sounds to the Kronos?
Thanks again.
Nope, the PCG files are not compatible with eachother so you won't be able to load your triton/moss sounds directly, you may however manually convert parameter by parameter (if the same parameters exist) and create perhaps someway similar sounds on the kronos

cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all true: the PCG format is different for Kronos and Triton series keyboards and there are many differences between the HD-1 engine with its Karma, drum track and part/common sequences (which would most closely approximate a Triton program/combi) and a typical Triton program/combi with its dual arpeggiators.
It's not, however, outside the realm of possibility to move your Triton multisamples to the Kronos (since the sample format remains the same) and rebuild the programs/combis on the Kronos by replacing the Triton program arpeggiators with part/common sequences (not a truly compatible conversion but an approximation) and Karma parameters. I'm currently working on several such conversion utilities to automate the process between Triton and Kronos (including FX settings, etc.) as well as Wavestation and KLC engines (including WS, MS-20, PolySix and LegacyCell- Mono/Poly may have to wait a few). It's an ambitious undertaking but with much help from michelkeijzers on the forums and Stephen Kay's publication of the PCG format as well as much reversing of the various .fxb format of KLC'07 I'm making great strides.
If anyone would like to help "reverse-engineer" or "map" the various Kronos engines' PCG formats I can use a lot of help in this category. Feel free to PM or post a response to this effect.

So, in summary, right now- barring existing utilities I'm unaware of- it's necessary to manually re-create the Triton's programs and combis on the Kronos using built-in or transferred multisamples and approximating some parameters such as FX and arpeggiators; but, there is at least 1 utility in the works for automating the process.

Cheers and good luck!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynkh, what is a Part/Common? And also one things, dont mix KARMA with
HD-1 or Synth Engine, the 2 have nothing to do with each other and KARMA
would not affect the Synth engine in a manner of incopatibility, its a completelly
different thing then a Synthezis Engine.
As for Part/Common, i still havent seen that on the Kronos, what is it?
Program/Combi on Triton is EXACTLY the same on the Kronos, M3 or Trinity...
i mean the concept and names is exactly the same.
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Cynkh, what is a Part/Common? And also one things, dont mix KARMA with
HD-1 or Synth Engine, the 2 have nothing to do with each other and KARMA
would not affect the Synth engine in a manner of incopatibility, its a completelly
different thing then a Synthezis Engine.
As for Part/Common, i still havent seen that on the Kronos, what is it?
Program/Combi on Triton is EXACTLY the same on the Kronos, M3 or Trinity...
i mean the concept and names is exactly the same.

I apologize for the ambiguity. What I meant is that the Triton treats the idea of arpeggiator differently from the Kronos. On the Triton the arpeggiators are part of the program/combi while on the Kronos one would need to create a global Karma program to emulate the Triton's arpeggiators or utilize the mod sequences available on the Kronos. The Karma settings are stored globally and references within each program/combi.
There are typically 3 mod/step sequencers available per program: one per oscillator/instrument (HD-1 can consist of up to 2 oscillators while EXi can consist of up to 2 instruments) and one available as a "common step sequencer" (in the Modulation section of the Common tab). Again, it would be possible to emulate the functionality of the Triton's arpeggiators (2 per program: A and B) depending on the intended result; but there is not an exact duplication of the Triton's arpeggiators on the Kronos so it would have to be "emulated" based on the intended result.
Hope that clears things up a bit, if not I'm always open to entertaining questions.

Thanks and cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually on the triton the actual arpeggiator patterns are stored globally, and in a program or combi you only have basic control over which pattern to use, what it controls, and how it behaves to input.

You have a lot more control in KRONOS and other KARMA based systems on the individual program/combi level. You can think of a GE as your base pattern, or even as an 'arpeggiator type' which you then further program through the KARMA parameters in the program/combi.

But generally your overall description is more or less correct - there would be some work involved to emulate an arpeggiator pattern exactly. Depending on the complexity of the pattern. In most cases, the modulation sequencers wouldn't help either because the Triton's arps take full advantage of their polyphonic nature.

In answer to the original post here, you can not just load a Triton PCG into the KRONOS - or any other non-triton synth.
You have to appreciate that a PCG contains patches and combis which are literally just the settings you see on the edit pages that make up how the synthesizer performs and constructs the sound. As the two products employ vastly different sets of parameters, there isn't really any straightforward compatibility.

Sample data - e.g. KSF and KMP files - are however compatible. But the programs (which would be stored in a PCG) that use those samples would have to be rebuilt from the ground up.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Consider it as a good reason to find newer/better/different sounds.

Exactly! Otherwise- KEEP THE EXTREME!
HUBA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I made the silly mistake of assuming Korg couldn't possibly leave out the Triton sound set from their otherwise superior next generation workstation that I've recently acquired I've been contemplating getting a Triton rack to go with the Kronos just for the sound set, and so in an attempt to avoid making yet another silly mistake I got the idea to ask a couple of questions first:

1. Is it possible to rearrange patches/programs to my liking and delete or at least move programs that I have no desire to use into a far off place where I wont have to scroll past them in order to get to programs that I've determined useful?

2. Are dead lines in the display common/likely to occur with these? Is the display replaceable? Is it readable from an angle through contrast adjustments or would I have to face it in a straight angle in order to read it easily?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: