Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos as a master controller?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Kronos as a master controller? Reply with quote

I'm planning to replace my Yamaha EX5 with a Korg Kronos.

I have no doubt that a Kronos could replace an EX5 as far as synthesis and sequencer functions are concerned (although it lacks physical modelling of brass and reed instruments), but could a Kronos replace an EX5 as far as master controller functions are concerned?

I use my EX5 as a master controller for my setup which includes other synths and expanders linked to the EX5 via its 2 MIDI outs.

The EX5 has a very useful feature: in a Performance I can set initial values for a certain number of parameters for each of the 16 parts: MIDI channel, bank#, program#, volume, pan, filter parameters, envelope parameters, effects parameters, etc. Each part can have its own set of values.

I create a Performance for each song. When I want to configure my whole setup to make it ready for a song, I just select the corresponding Performance on my EX5 and it automatically sends out the programmed initial values via MIDI CCs to each instrument (without having to use the sequencer). If needed, these values can be modified on the fly within the Performance very easily.

Arrow Does the Kronos have an equivalent feature?

I know all this could be done with a sequence, but it would be way less immediate to load a sequence and to play it than just selecting a Performance, and it would also be way less convenient than having a global picture of these data on a screen and being able to edit them on the fly.

Last edited by EXer on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a combi can do most of the things you said. I'm not sure it will send filter, envelope message thought.
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep the EX5. Yamaha synths's performance mode is second to none when it comes to controlling external gear.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combis on Korg workstations will send out AFAIK for each EXT timbre/channel:
- Program Number (optionally bank MSB & LSB too)
- Mixer Level
- Mixer Pan

possibly FX send1 & send2 levels, not sure.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
- Mixer Level
- Mixer Pan.

also transposition (important for octave shifting)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
X-Trade wrote:
- Mixer Level
- Mixer Pan.

Transposition itself isn't sent.
Only if you are using the KRONOS keyboard to control external synths, you can transpose the MIDI notes output.
Playing the module or synth's own keyboard would still play normally.

But yeah, you can transpose, as well as keyzone and velocityzone on external timbres.
Additionaly, you can filter transmission of joystick (modwheel & cc02 'breath'), pitch bend, other controls, and of course do exciting things like route KARMA to an external synth if you wish.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought this was the whole point of "Set List" mode - -kinda doing the same with mine. You wont have 2 MIDI Outs though.....
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
Scott wrote:
X-Trade wrote:
- Mixer Level
- Mixer Pan.

Only if you are using the KRONOS keyboard to control external synths, you can transpose the MIDI notes output.

But yeah, you can transpose, as well as keyzone and velocityzone on external timbres.

Right... as I boldfaced above, I was specifically talking in the context of controlling EXT devices.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
X-Trade wrote:
Scott wrote:
X-Trade wrote:
- Mixer Level
- Mixer Pan.

Right... as I boldfaced above, I was specifically talking in the context of controlling EXT devices.

Sorry, yeah so was I. But the main question in this post was in reference to sending out setup information to synths when the combi is selected/loaded/opened.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: